Author Topic: How do I get my 2 year old to take horrible antibiotic elixir?  (Read 1291 times)

Offline vickyd

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Michael was prescribed flucloxacillin elixir for a severe allergic reaction to something that's ended up with his skin becoming infected. I cannot for love nor money get him to swallow this vile pink liquid. It really is disgusting and I've tried mixing it with yogurt and put it in a hot chocolate but I can't disguise the taste, it's too strong. Anyone got any other ideas? I really need him to take it
Mummy to Michael and the twins, Emmy and Jack xxx

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
Re: How do I get my 2 year old to take horrible antibiotic elixir?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 08:54:12 am »
Have been going through the same thing here....if you can read through the first 4 pages there are a bunch of ideas in my thread!

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=167604.0

Good luck!

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 09:26:24 am »
My son was on this medication around 6 times when he was younger and had severe atopic eczema. We gave up trying to mix it with other things because it just did not work. We have a friend who is a paediatric nurse and she has tried mixing it with different things to disguise the taste but nothing she tried worked either. We ended up giving it by syringe and whilst I had him pinned my dh (or any available adult) squirted it to the back of his mouth. To get him to open his mouth we would hold his nose. It was not a nice experience but it got the antibiotics in which is what he needed.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline birdie

• Showing Appreciation 127
  • Wyoming, USA
    • The Doula Advantage
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 20:14:38 pm »
Can your pharmacy add flavoring to it??  Our charges a couple dollars for the flavoring but it is worth it.  They also have a chart that shows which fruit flavors mask different types of medications.  We had to add grape to DS Fluride for a long time.

Good luck.
Certified Birth Doula (CBI)

Mom of Four Angels: WENDY

Always Remembered: REECE BRADFORD born still at 38 weeks (August 4, 2006)

Our Miracle Boy: IAN MICHAEL (October 17, 2007)

Offline vickyd

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 21:14:31 pm »
Jimbob, thanks, that's what I had to do this afternoon. Tonight I managed to bribe him with a bite of a milkyway every time he took some out of the syringe. I hope tomorrow fares the same although when we're finished the course he'll have to go on a diet with all the milkyways we'll go through!
Mummy to Michael and the twins, Emmy and Jack xxx