Author Topic: Attempting first solids  (Read 3078 times)

Offline WIPsMom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 14:34:24 pm »
This topic was really helpful as I literally started 7 days ago with my DS with solids at "lunch".  He will be 5 months this week (I started my first son at 4 months and he got it right away re: solids with carrots first).  

DS #2 doesn't seem to want to have anything to do with it.  He mostly closes his lips tight. I first tried carrots which he just hated.  Then after 3 days I tried rice cereal and at least he didn't seem disgusted once I could get it into his mouth.  But he never willingly opens his mouth.  When he sees his bottle he's all excited.  I usually just "sneak" it in there very runny rice cereal mixed with formula.  Should I keep at it or stop and try again in a few weeks?  Or can I try adding some pear or apple or is he too young at  5 months for pear/apple mixed into the rice?  The last two days I managed about 5-7 tiny "baby spoons" then finishing off with his milk between 100 and 140ml.  He doesn't gag but as mentioned he's just not "asking" for the solids so I'm not sure what to do?  Keep at it?  Try adding fruit?

Oh... one other question... I noticed since starting the solids that his overall intake of milk each day has gone down from about total 700-800ml to 600-700ml. He still sleeps from 7pm to 5:30am but is it normal for him to drink less with so little solids added at this point?
Thanks for the help!

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 123
Re: Attempting first solids
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 20:34:29 pm »
5 months is still quite young. Babies are good at knowing how much food they need so it is probably best not to sneak it in even though I know it is really tempting. He doesn't need the solids for nutrition at this age so I would just keep offering it and if he accepts it great and if not let him come around in his own time. My son was 7.5 moths before he started really wanting the solids even though we started trying a week before 6months old. You don't really want his milk to decrease as a result of his solids increasing as milk is still the main form of nutrition at this age and the solids are more for learning  than nutrition at this stage. I am not up on FF though so not sure if this is a significant decrease or not, but the idea is at 6 months they start needing more than milk and that is in the form of solids but the solids shouldn't replace the milk but suppliment it. HTH

Offline Canadian_Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: Attempting first solids
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 21:21:02 pm »
I agree.  Don't force it.  I know I tried a variety of ways to get the food in (finger, different spoons etc), but I think that was more to keep me entertained and feel like I was doing something :) If my LO turned his head away or kept his lips closed I would stop.  I would try a couple more times during my breakfast, but never forced it.  My LO also gets excited when he sees his bottle, so I figured if he knows if he wants something in his mouth or not!
-Nadia