Author Topic: Nutramigen formula safe for MSPI baby???  (Read 3371 times)

Offline chars mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Nutramigen formula safe for MSPI baby???
« on: March 23, 2010, 23:05:02 pm »
Hi,
Our LO was recently diagnosed with MSPI.  At the time, the doc gave us 2 tins of Nutramigen formula just in case I found I couldn't handle the elimination diet.  I was looking at the ingredients and it contains soy oil.  I was under the impression that any soy was out.  Is this safe for my baby???

Offline mmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 96
Re: Nutramigen formula safe for MSPI baby???
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 23:44:32 pm »
My LO was MSPI and we used Allimentum, which is pretty much the same thing. It is my understanding that the protein in the hypoallergenic formulas are broken down so that the LO's can handle it.  I am sure others will be able to explain it better.  But that is the response I got when I asked the same question.  I also noticed that it had milk protein in it as well.
Kara

Offline grace annes mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 01:03:50 am »
Kara's right. As far as I understand, it contains soy and milk, but the proteins are so broken down, that they should be tolerated.  That being said, my LO did not tolerated Nutramigen, and eventually had to have Nutramigen AA which breaks everything down even further - into amino acids.  I'm just telling you bc I had no clue that not tolerating Nutramigen was possible.  It is rare, but it does happen.

Hope Nutramigen works for your LO. (HUGS) I know this all can be really hard to handle.

Caitlin

Offline chars mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 01:40:00 am »
Thanks ladies, I had a feeling it was alright, why would the doc give it to us if it wasn't?  And from what I've read the soy oil is the fat, not the protein, so it makes a bit more sense now.  Haven't had to give it to him yet but he hasn't been feeding very well the last couple of days and I have started to wonder if I might have to.  He does seem hungry between feeds yet is super fussy on the boob at the moment, poor LO.