Author Topic: How long to see results after cutting out foods?  (Read 2130 times)

Offline Stargrl

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
How long to see results after cutting out foods?
« on: March 22, 2010, 16:58:10 pm »
I've been dairy/egg/soy free for a while now, but DS2 is still reacting to something in my diet.  I decided to try a modified elimination diet; I'm eating gluten-free grains (quinoa, rice, buckwheat), chicken, beef, carrots, potatoes, rice-milk, and zucchini.  It's only been 2 days but DS just had a realllly reactive poo, tons of mucous & very green.  Before I restrict the diet even further, I was wondering how long y'all noticed it took to improve matters with your LO's? DS is 4 months old tomorrow.  My gut instinct tells me it's wheat, but I thought he would be improving, not getting worse!  Any tips, insight, experience is greatly appreciated!  I feel like I'm going nuts here!

scarlettsmom

Re: How long to see results after cutting out foods?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 11:13:15 am »
Hi there. 

As someone who was on an extremely restricted elimination diet and would still see issues (I was on 5 foods, oatmeal being one of them to keep my supply up and low and below.....was allergic to oatmeal!), I know how frustrating it can be.

2 Days things are still working out, his gut will still be healing if it is indeed a wheat issue.  I would look for the symptoms to start easing up in the next week.  However, do me a favor and take a look at all the ingredients in the rice-milk.  Unless you are making your own, they are sometimes some hidden ingredients in there that could be an issue. 

The extrememly unfortunate part is that your LO could be allergic to anything.  My DD2 had so many allergies, things we never thought would bother her (like rice), but we did finally find our baseline and it was great.  Just lots of trial and error. 

Also - I can't remember if from one of your other posts you mentioned you are taking a calcium supplement?  If you aren't please do asap.  If you ARE, please check the inactive ingredients to make sure there aren't any offending ingredients.

I have to run, DD2 needs breakfast - but I have seriously BTDT, so will help all I can!
Hang in there. 

:-* :-*

Offline firsttimemummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 13:50:03 pm »
My DS is reacting to something(s) too (apart from cows milk which we already know) as his bm's are really squishy, so just wondering how quickly from eating something should we see a reaction (sometimes he can get a red bottom with a poo, but not sure if that is from the meal he has just eaten or an earlier one - can sometimes tell which meal it is that has gone through his as he likes to eat raisins if you know what I mean - but not sure if something that reacts badly with him would go through quicker than other foods!!!)

L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline Stargrl

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 14:51:33 pm »
my goodness, Tari, how did you discover rice??? that's supposed to be the #1 safe food!  Did you do the elimination for 2 weeks then trade out foods? Like, if wheat was safe, add that & take out rice? If I removed rice I would cry (never thought I'd say that! lol).  How long did it take you to get to baseline?  Was your doc supportive or think you're nuts? I'm taking DS to the pedi today for his 4-mo. checkup, we'll see if he thinks I'm a loon or not  ::)

After St.Patty's day last week, DS was really reacting for a few days so it seemed that it was something I went overboard on in those days.  I was thinking wheat initially, since I made some (divine!) vegan Irish soda bread, some pumpkin muffins, oh and some beer, but then thinking about it yesterday I ate gobs & gobs of beef: beef pie, corned beef, and then a few days of left-overs of the corned beef.  So I decided no more beef in the elimination diet; I'll get some lamb and stick with chicken for now.  Now I wish I'd been keeping a food journal up til now, because I'm thinking I remember him reacting after beef, or was it wheat? or was it...???? you know how your mind goes, spinning round & round all the possibilities!

thanks for the tip on the rice milk; I didn't even think to look, just assumed gluten-free.  I did just make my own last night, and I will start up my calcium again.  I was on chocolate chews (they were so yummy!) which I cut out when I started the elimination, because of the chocolate.  I have plain ones, I'll look at the ingredients on that too.  Would it state it, or do I have to call the company? same with my multi-vites?

thanks so much!

Offline Stargrl

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 14:54:44 pm »
My DS is reacting to something(s) too (apart from cows milk which we already know) as his bm's are really squishy, so just wondering how quickly from eating something should we see a reaction (sometimes he can get a red bottom with a poo, but not sure if that is from the meal he has just eaten or an earlier one - can sometimes tell which meal it is that has gone through his as he likes to eat raisins if you know what I mean - but not sure if something that reacts badly with him would go through quicker than other foods!!!)

how old is your LO? Are you talking about foods he's eating, or are you breastfeeding & concerned about foods in your diet?  With his diet, I'd think you'd notice after 4 hours (that's supposed to be how long it takes to digest stuff); can you reduce what he's eating and introduce stuff back slowly? One food at a time every 5 days?

Offline firsttimemummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 15:32:48 pm »
He is 14 months and has recently stopped breastfeeding - when I fed him if I drank fresh orange it disagreed with him, as did when I had too much ice cream ;) (I have cows milk intolerence and have discovered he has it too).  Also, carrots disagree with him but there is something else too - guess, as you said before, it's just a case of trial and elimintation!
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

scarlettsmom

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 14:03:11 pm »
my goodness, Tari, how did you discover rice??? that's supposed to be the #1 safe food!  Did you do the elimination for 2 weeks then trade out foods? Like, if wheat was safe, add that & take out rice? If I removed rice I would cry (never thought I'd say that! lol).  How long did it take you to get to baseline?  Was your doc supportive or think you're nuts? I'm taking DS to the pedi today for his 4-mo. checkup, we'll see if he thinks I'm a loon or not  ::)

My ped thought I was nuts.  Until I finally got in to see a ped GI and a ped allergist and DD had almost 30 reactions! (allergies).  So then they started listening.  I fortunately listened to my instincts from when she was about 3 weeks old.  I actually started without rice in my elimination diet - I don't know why, but I didn't add it to my baseline.  So when I tried to add it back I saw the mucousy stools and knew it was a reaction.  What's funny is that the ped allergist wasn't that surprised (I was shocked!). 

How did the 4-mo check up go?

Regarding the multi-vitamins:  it should be listed in the inactive ingredients portion.  If you can't find it, or find ingredients you don't recognize, call the company. 

Hope LO is doing better!  How are you doing on the restricted diet?  It can be overwhelming and tough at times, so hang in there!! :-* :-*