Author Topic: SMA wysoy - hard stools??can anyone offer advice  (Read 5604 times)

Offline kellywelly

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
SMA wysoy - hard stools??can anyone offer advice
« on: March 26, 2010, 13:04:32 pm »
Hi there,
thank you for taking the time to read my post.
My 21.5 wk old has been on SMA wysoy formula for about 4 weeks due to a suspected intollerance. This has been working great as previously to this she would not eat anything but is now taking bottles quite well.
However we are having problems with hard stools, she is going a few times a day but is straining quite alot and as i say they are quite hard. I am having to put vasaline there to help her along the way.
When she was very small we tried SMA gold and this didnt really agree with her, so i switched to c&g comfort which was fine until the intollerance came about. I am thinking about changing her to the c&g soya formula infasoy as maybe there are some ingredients in the sma that are too rich for her. i have tried water & fruit juice, the fruit juice softened the stools a little but still not great.
does anybody have any advice on this? I am hoping to see the doc in the nxt few days but they dont really have a clue about this.........
Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 17:01:40 pm by kellywelly »

scarlettsmom

Re: SMA wysoy - hard stools??can anyone offer advice
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 00:01:27 am »
Hi,

(((hugs))) sorry to hear your LO is constipated.  I'm really not certain what SMA wysoy is (is it just a soy formula?)  I'm sure there can be things in there that could cause constipation to certain bubs, but not sure what it could be?

Sorry I'm no help, I never ff, only tried some hypoallergenic formulas for backup, never soy though.

Have you had a chance to talk to the dr yet?  I know switching formulas can take your LO a while to get used to, so it should be a last resort. 

Good luck, hope he feels better soon and hopefully other mamas might have some advice for you.

xoxo :-* :-*

Offline pamelamcgahon

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 12:10:57 pm »
I'd go back and ask for a hypoallergenic one.  Our dietician said she couldn't understand whey we were given soya formula before hypoallergenic as its best to just cut everything out.

Keira's milk protein allergy caused alot of straining even though she was having frequent poops but we put the firmer ones down to using gaviscon for her reflux.  I think I read that soya can cause firmer stools and was surprised when we tried it that keira's were liquidised.  Not pleasant, stinky, several changes of clothes needed.  Went back to doc and she said she's probably allergic to that to.  We now use the hydrolysed stuff.

x

Offline ~Emma~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 12:26:09 pm »
 Hi hun,

I dont know anything about the SMA soy formula but I can tell you that we had issues with regular SMA gold with constipation. Lots of mums apparantley do with SMA, dont quote me on this but I'm sure my HV told me it was something to do with the higher iron in it.  ???

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 20:32:17 pm »
When we tried SMA Wysoy my ds became severely constipated. His bowel movements were very hard and dry. It later turned out that he was allergic to soy.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline kellywelly

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 08:17:47 am »
hello guys,

thank you for your replies! i have never posted here or anywhere before and it is so nice to have had replies!!
we went back to the doc and we are trying the c&g formula, she has been on it for 4 days now & the stools have definitely softened, they are not 100% there yet but i am hoping in the next few days we will see more of a difference once the initial transition is over. a definite plus is that she is gulping this formula down, it must taste better, it defiantly smells better!
we are waiting for an appointment to come through to see a dietitan, so hopefully by that time we will see if this formula is better.
I am so happy we will be seeing a dietitan as the docs dont seem to know anything about this, we have seen a few and i have basically told them what i think it is and they have gone along with it & given us the formulas we wanted! & dont get me started on my HV! 
i will keep you all posted on our progress.

thank you x x 

Offline ~Emma~

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 19:01:52 pm »
 Great news on the poopies! ;D Its so awful when they are constipated.  :(

Offline kellywelly

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 19:27:02 pm »
hi all, just to let you know that the cow & gate seems to have done the trick & the poop is completley back to normal, on to weaning now - fun fun fun!

scarlettsmom

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 00:19:03 am »
yay!  Three cheers for normal poop!!   ;D    Glad he's feeling better.. :-*