Author Topic: Back from the allergist...Spencer will never trust Dr's again!  (Read 5035 times)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
So, we finally had our allergist appt yesterday!  I had heard before going that this Dr. can have quite the harsh bedside manner, and while he was quite curt (only word I can think of!) he was fairly pleasant to us both.  Spencer tried to escape out the back exit right when we arrived, I think she knew something was up!

The Dr. would only do the scratch test for milk & eggs (the only 2 things we know she reacted to) and they both made miniscule welts smaller than the control. So, the Dr. thinks she is probably not allergic,  but sent us off to the hospital to do blood work too. Oh, and did I mention that Spencer screamed as soon as the liquid for the test hit her arm and didn't stop until we left, and then continued to quietly sob to herself?

It only got worse at the lab...took me and a nurse to pin her down, but I am so thankful that the nurse who took the blood found a vein quickly...I have never seen blood taken as fast as that man did. She screamed the place down and I don't think she will ever trust someone in scrubs or a lab coat again!

So...no real answers yet...Dr. says if blood work is neg too he wants me to feed her eggs (hmm...not sure on that, being in a rural setting) I would love her to not be allergic, but I don't want to cause a worse reaction in a place where the hospital and only ancient doctor may not be alot of help!

Oh, and today she had explosive poos at daycare and a fever...and the only different thing she ate yesterday was soy yogurt??

Heidi

Offline marensmama

• Showing Appreciation 202
Re: Back from the allergist...Spencer will never trust Dr's again!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 04:34:03 am »
Hugs for you and little Spencer!  :-*  I can't bear to see my girls in pain, even when it's for a good reason!  The good (??) news is that if they're at the doctor enough they actually become VERY cooperative (it's unnerving for the doctor at that point! ;) )  Hopefully she continues to be a terrible patient :P

FWIW, I do know of a few moms that have fed their children suspected allergens in the emerg parking lot at the local hospital.  :-\
Nicole - Mom to My Lovely Girls

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 04:55:58 am »
FWIW, I do know of a few moms that have fed their children suspected allergens in the emerg parking lot at the local hospital.  :-\

Well, it's either that or invite my neice over (she has a severe peanut allergy and comes equipped with epi-pens)  I'm just paranoid because allergies run in my family and I know that reactions can get worse and the negative results can be false in some cases.

Masyn has always been a co-operative patient, I swear she even likes getting needles!! Spencer is just going to freak at her next vax appt.

I will pass on the hugs to Spence when I peek in on her  :-*

Heidi

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 10:32:27 am »
Ugh - sorry for the disappointing day.  In a way do you feel that you would have been happier if she DID react to the scratch test because it would confirm what you know rather than now cause doubt?   I do think that it is a good idea to try when you have an epi-pen nearby or as Nicole says in the hosp parking lot.

DS had blood drawn in the hospital last week, it took one nurse lying across him and DH holding his head and shoulders down, with the paed holding his arm down to pu the catheter in (did it in his hand in case he needed to stay in on an IV).  The first hand he wasn't too bad but they could not get the vein and so had to go into his other hand, and he freaked out.  BUT once he got over it, he has been walking around all week pointing out the bruises on his hands to anyone who will look and is quite proud of them I think.  ::)

Hoping Spencer isn't too badly affected by it Heidi xxx

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 12:32:23 pm »
{{{hugs}}}}

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 16:03:55 pm »
  In a way do you feel that you would have been happier if she DID react to the scratch test because it would confirm what you know rather than now cause doubt?   

Yes...so dumb, but it would be easier to have a clear answer and proceed with avoiding the way we are, instead of wondering what could happen if I do feed her eggs again. She is still having explosive poos though and I have no idea why...I'm under the impression that a scratch test would only cause skin reactions, not GI problems.

Of course, the possibilty also exsists that she was more allergic last year when we fed her eggs and now she is outgrowing it. That would make my life so much easier!

(oh, and she was very mad when I took off her band aid...I think like Mini-Mashi she was proud of her little badge!)
Heidi

scarlettsmom

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 00:29:28 am »
aw poor thing ((((hugs)))).

I so know what you mean about kind of wanting the positive reaction so that you definitely know and don't have to doubt your next steps. 

Will be interesting to see what comes back from the blood test.  even if your ped says to go ahead with the good challenge, if you are really uncomfortable with it, wait until you are.  Mommy instincts rule.   ;D

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 00:51:22 am »
(((hugs))) for you and Spencer, what an ordeal :(

IKWYM about being so-so about the negative result - even though you certainly don't *want* allergies, it's so hard when the test contradicts actual symptoms that she's had in the past.  I know I would have been shocked and doubtful had Dylan's dairy test come back negative.  I'm with Tari, I think it will be interesting to see what the blood tests come back with.  Do you have a follow up appointment for the results, or are they just calling you if there are any positives?

Of course, the possibilty also exsists that she was more allergic last year when we fed her eggs and now she is outgrowing it. That would make my life so much easier!
That certainly would be the best possible outcome!!! Fingers are crossed for you ;D ;D ;D
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 06:59:28 am »
You could always ask for an in hospital challenge especially as you don't live near a hospital and allergies do run in your family.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 15:04:02 pm »
Kelly, that is exactly what I would like to do...but I'm not hopeful that this allergist will go along with it, he wanted to blame all her reactions with hives on viruses, which I know is a possibility, but my instinct says that isn't it.

I don't have a follow up appt Vikki, as they said the results may take awhile and they will call me when they are in and go from there. Hopefully since we went straight to the main hospital's lab they will get done fast!

:-*
Heidi
Heidi

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 05:30:44 am »
So, heard back on the blood tests today...they tested only for milk and eggs and both came back at .35, which by the sheet they gave puts it right on the bubble of low/undetectable!!  So they want me to feed her baked in egg at home (1/4 of a cookie from a recipe baked with one egg only) and see what happens. My sister is here with her kids and has epipens...so I baked some cookies tonight and will attempt to feed her part of one in the am and then watch her like a hawk.

I'm a little torn, as I do feel she had a reaction (though not as severe as some I know) to eggs, but hopeful that even if she was allergic, she has outgrown it or can tolerate it somewhat.

some vibes that it all goes well would be great! Yikes....I can't believe I'm going to do this!
Heidi

Offline marensmama

• Showing Appreciation 202
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 05:42:04 am »
Yikes!  Good luck!  Let us know how you make out!  :-*
Nicole - Mom to My Lovely Girls

Offline ~emmalou~

• Showing Appreciation 65
  • ~~The road to a friends house is never long~~
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 06:31:34 am »
hey hon, good luck, hope all goes well xxx
proud mum to my 3 gorgeous children

Jack    12/05/05
Abigail  07/01/07
Sam     24/10/09

worrying is as about effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 11:35:01 am »
Sending loads of vibes and crossing my fingers for you. Good luck!!
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 18:54:30 pm »
~~~vibes vibes vibes~~~  :-*

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months