Author Topic: Back from the allergist...Spencer will never trust Dr's again!  (Read 5059 times)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Back from the allergist...Spencer will never trust Dr's again!
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 23:21:37 pm »
Well, I fed her 1/4 of the cookie and a while later she started turning red - almost like a patchy sunburn on her face, arms and legs. Gave her some bendryl at 4pm to see if it would go away as it was worse when she got up from her nap and that helped. So, will phone the allergist on Mon and see if they want me to keep trying or not. So, not a bad reaction, but unclear just like everything else!
Heidi

scarlettsmom

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 00:14:39 am »
Oh Heidi, gosh!  

My pc is acting up - but I sent you good vibes too for the trial... ;)

So are all the other ingredients in the cookie definitely safe?  Thank goodness for benadryl eh?  How is she doing now?  The great news is that there was no wheezing or respiratory issues.

(((Hugs)))  Hoping you get some definite answers soon.    Interesting about the allergy testing. 
 :-*
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 00:16:55 am by scarlett'smom »

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 02:01:24 am »
Oh, how frustrating :(

they tested only for milk and eggs and both came back at .35, which by the sheet they gave puts it right on the bubble of low/undetectable
Interestingly, the paperwork that I got from Dylan's blood tests said that anything over .35 was considered a "clinically significant reaction".  Strange that the benchmark is the same at .35, but the way the results are presented is different.

Glad that the Benadryl cleared things up for her.  To me though, that points even more to an allergy, kwim?  Be interesting to hear what the allergist says on Monday.

(((hugs))) too.  I was really hoping for no reaction at all, but like Tari said, at least there were no respiratory issues :)
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 04:06:08 am »
Well she's in bed for the night without a peep...but of course I'll be peeking in on her!  That's really interesting Vikki, the way the results are intrepreted so different.

Tari, everything in the cookies she has had before. Oh, and I forgot to say she got a snotty nose, but we have all had colds...that said though it was clear whereas the runny nose from a few days ago was greenish. Not sure what to attribute that to, but no wheezing or runny eyes etc.

sheesh nothing is ever straightforward is it?  :P

Thanks for all the vibes  :-*

Heidi

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 00:42:42 am »
Well, spoke to the allergist today (okay, they secretary really, she relayed info back and forth) and we are back to avoiding eggs and doing an in office challenge in the summer.  Still have to trial milk at home, but I will give her immune system a few weeks rest before doing that!
Heidi

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 01:23:07 am »
Keeping my fingers crossed that your milk trial (when you do it!) goes more smoothly than the eggs :)

Offline speechie

• Showing Appreciation 303
  • 7 years of spirited bliss!
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 02:43:59 am »
Heidi- hugs to your and yours- sorry your LO had to go through the bloodwork- and hope that you get more info/results this summer!
Cathie
                Nick spirited angel, born August 2, 2007

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 02:47:14 am »
Thanks Vikki & Cathie...we had to go to the local Dr. just for her cold and as soon as she saw a white lab coat she freaked, screamed so hard that he couldn't even listen to her lungs. Yikes...I guess I lucked out having one kid who loves Dr's and needles that the other one has to be the total opposite (Masyn is excited about the prospect of her 4 yr shots  ::))
Heidi

scarlettsmom

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 01:08:11 am »
Awwww poor little Spencer getting so scared of the dr.   :(   But did make me chuckle that your DD1 is looking forward to her 4 yo shots, lol.

Good luck with the milk challenge - I hope it goes great.  Are you doing straight milk, or starting with baked in? 

(((hugs)))

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 01:22:57 am »
I think I'll start with baked in because she will not purposely consume dairy (she had a fit when I tried to put a bit of cheese on her plate a while back...maybe she knows something I don't??) Also, I'm not sure if it is a milk allergy, MPI, or lactose intolerance...so not sure what to do there.

Heidi

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2010, 04:36:17 am »
Okay, well on a whim on Monday I decided to give her a yogurt pot...she actually ate it...cheeks and arms turned red, over the course of the afternoon she got congested (I had been snuggling with her in the am and her breathing was normal, in the pm it was wheezy/rattly) and I gave her benadryl, which helped. She also went from having a normal BM on mon to none on tues to 4 blowouts on Wed morning  :-X  Phoning the allergist tomorrow to report and see where to go from here!
Heidi

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 10:06:39 am »
Wow, that is a pretty decisive reaction. Poor thing :( Hope she's feeling better today! It'll be interesting to hear what the allergist has to say!

Offline speechie

• Showing Appreciation 303
  • 7 years of spirited bliss!
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 13:08:14 pm »
Poor thing- hope you get more answers soon!
Cathie
                Nick spirited angel, born August 2, 2007

scarlettsmom

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 18:21:08 pm »
Oh wow, that was a fast reaction!  How is she doing now?  For some reason yogurt doesn't sit well yet with Gwynnie, even though a lot of allergic babies do ok with it.  Baked in dairy is fine for us though now which is awesome.   Baby steps.   :D

Maybe try something baked in next?  I guess the allergist will give you some direction.   :D

Thanks for keeping us posted. ((hugs)) to Spencer and I hope she is feeling better!

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2010, 20:29:20 pm »
Well, phoned the Dr., the secretary relayed my info to the Dr., the nurse phoned back and said to avoid milk and will also try that in office, anytime we happen to be going to the city we are just to phone and get an appt.  But, she dismissed the diarhhea and said it had nothing to do with the milk...now Spencer's BM are usually looser than "normal", but this was another thing entirely, and it has continued into today. Maybe she's got a virus or something, but Masyn isn't sick and they do like to share all their germs.
Heidi