Author Topic: Help needed for 17 month old on one nap.  (Read 5155 times)

Offline ~Emma~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
Re: Help needed for 17 month old on one nap.
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 14:23:02 pm »
I agree.  :)

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 14:26:41 pm »
Hi hun, haven't had chance to read but wanted to follow along for support. Xx
LAURA xx

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 16:53:00 pm »
I think 7 too. It seems like a long time with an unhappy LO, but to his body it will still feel like 6.  Of course, if you think he's not going to make it, you could try 15 min earlier.

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 18:30:14 pm »
thanks for the support - it means a lot. I did 7pm bedtime. I know he is tired and it is bothering me but not sure 2 naps is the answer...I will see how he sleeps tonight. Do you think this is just him getting used to it? Essentially the naps are just not long enough really.

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline mmom

• Showing Appreciation 96
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 21:51:39 pm »
Becky, a lot of moms have issues with short naps when they first transition.  I have read many instances where it takes a while for LO's to lengthen their nap.  That may be the case with your LO.  Many just resort to early bedtimes until it happens.
Kara

Offline gavinsmum1

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 01:10:32 am »
I'd agree with Kara.  It's different right now with DS#2, but with my eldest, we just kept up with the early bedtimes and within two weeks, his nap lengthened out.  I think you'll start to see that he'll make up for short naps in his nights, or if his night's short, then he'll replace that will nap time sleep.  At least that's what I'm finding to some degree now and definitely did with my first. I'm finding that I'm just having to roll with when he's tired.  Some days he naps a little longer (today was an hour 45 min) and some shorter (like the other day 1 hour 10 min).  Some days he's waking early and others he's having crib parties and then sleeping in later. :s   I'm just riding this for a bit to see if things straighten themselves out, but I still have this thought in the back of my mind that I want to set him on the straight path now instead of cleaning up EW or NW mess later on because I pushed things too far. Anyway, I'm right here with you!

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 05:59:37 am »
well last night was a success. He went to bed at 7pm and slept till 6.30am and apart from one coughing fit (!) I did not hear him. Will aim for one nap again. Thinking 5.5 A time but maybe 5.45

MummyToBen

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 07:43:01 am »
becky that's great  :D xx

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 08:13:39 am »
Great news!  You probably can push it a little on a good night.  Maybe ensure he is asleep by 5.75 rather than just in bed iyswim?
LAURA xx

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 11:03:30 am »
hmmm - well I had him in bed for 5.5 as we have had an active morning and he is just talking so probably did not go far enough. Frustrating as I have seen many yawns this am....maybe I just have to ignore them?

MummyToBen

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 11:14:08 am »
I think it's worth noting the yawns and so probably not stretching him out too much on those days, but I wouldn't let it make you think he should need two naps.  I think you did the right thing and it doesn't hurt if they have a little chat to themselves before the go to sleep  :)

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2010, 11:15:32 am »
Thanks Claire - he settled within 2-3 mins...will wait and see how long the nap is.
It is so hard to work it all out as he seems to be a kid who will scream flatly refuse naps if UT and then does often babble when OT which is kind of the opposite of what you would think.
He is def finding the longer A times hard and I feel quite anxious as I have spent so long looking for tired signs and now he is giving them and I ignore them! He yawned at 9.30am today and he never ever yawned on 2 naps!!!

Offline mmom

• Showing Appreciation 96
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2010, 11:26:41 am »
Becky, I don't think the yawns mean much at this point.  My LO can have a great night and yawn at 9 am.  I know to just go to his regular nap time.
Kara

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 11:27:31 am »
ok thanks Kara. I am thinking he prob needs a longer A first thing. We will see x

Offline londonmama

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2010, 11:58:47 am »
Just reading along!  It is crazy because when I first started on these forums, it was because my DS was such a hopeless napper.  Nights were variable, but generally minimum 11 hours.

Now my DS is a brilliant napper.  Two hours at nursery, 2.5-3 hours at home.  But guess what?  Nights are now 10-10.5 hours.  Grrrrrr.....

I really hope you eventually get longer naps and longer nights!

In terms of sleepy cues in the morning, I ignore yawns.  The only time I start getting worried and consider two naps if if he is uncharacteristically grizzly, quick to cry, falling over alot, etc.