Author Topic: could MSPI baby be sensitive to beef???  (Read 4256 times)

Offline chars mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
could MSPI baby be sensitive to beef???
« on: March 30, 2010, 19:22:42 pm »
Think I read somewhere that some MSPI babies could be sensitive to beef, is that right?  My doc and I are trying to figure out what is causing my LOs flare-ups as I have completely cut out dairy and soy.  He seems to be just getting over one and I know for certain I didn't have any of the known offending foods.  However, I did eat beef.  My doc has asked me to eliminate rice now too from my diet to see if it helps.  It's been just over 48 hours and my LO seems to be improving...but is that because I haven't eaten rice or beef?  Hard to say.
Anyone have any info or first hand experience with beef causing a problem?

scarlettsmom

Re: could MSPI baby be sensitive to beef???
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 19:33:47 pm »
Hi,

Yes - there is a link between milk allergies and beef allergies.  It is not very common, but has been linked. 

Thankfully beef was ok for us, but rice was not.   ::)

Do you have enough things in your diet that you can remove both beef and rice?  (since you are seeing an improvement with both gone?)

Offline chars mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 23:55:15 pm »
Well it seems the uncommon things keep happening to us so not too surprised about the beef link.  Good to know, thank you!  Can you tell me a bit more about it, I'm keen to learn how all this works.  I'm also curious about the rice, how often is a LO with MSPI also intolerant to rice?  I haven't found any info about it. 
Yes, I think I can manage without the rice and beef.  We usually eat lots of chicken, pork and fish as well as pasta.  This elimination diet has actually been good in that it's forcing us to try new recipes and foods, many of which we are enjoying for the first time :)

Offline Stargrl

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 04:04:26 am »
perhaps. I am wondering this about my LO; I cut it out for a few days and then ate it at a restaurant (as it was just about the only thing I could eat there) and he had a bad day today :( I just looked it up and found this one study showing that there can be a link, 13-20% of kids with a milk allergy also are allergic to beef. Here's a link to the site http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12487203?dopt=Abstract

scarlettsmom

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 12:32:14 pm »
I;ve never seen a link between mspi and rice allergy.  However, it could be that you have a LO with many many sensitivities/intolerances and you're slowly finding out which ones they are.

(((hugs))))  I know how overwhelming it cam be. My DD2 seemed to be allergic/intolerant to EVERYTHING.  It was so frustrating and overwhelming.  She thankfully outgrew almost everything (cow's milk is the only thing we don't give her now).  She just seemed to have a very very immature digestive system. 

Offline chars mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 18:39:57 pm »
It is super frustrating.  Been off rice and beef for nearly 5 days now and I still think there may be something else.  He still seems uncomfortable at times and I have seen a little speck of blood in a couple poops lately.   Not sure what the next food is on the list to eliminate, any ideas?

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 18:55:05 pm »
I hesitate to suggest this, but..... gluten? Eggs? Both are fairly common allergens.  What about seafood and of course nuts? I also have a friend whose DD is allergic to sesame seeds....

scarlettsmom

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 20:39:17 pm »
 :(

what are you eating now? 

Offline chars mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 19:21:00 pm »
At this very moment I'm eating tuna on water crackers  ;)  Still finding lots to eat, it's actually been good in that I'm looking up new recipes and trying different things. 
So DS had another flare-up this past weekend.  It seems to happen every 7 or so days so I'm thinking that it isn't something that I eat on a regular basis.  Does that sound like a reasonable assumption?  Perhaps keeping a food diary may help us cinch down what else is causing problems.  I'm thinking it's either eggs or citrus (citric acid).  He had a particularly bad flare-up after we had dinner out a couple weeks ago.  I was super cautious with my meal selection and told our waiter I had xyz food allergies.  However, I did have a glass of red wine...I chalked up his bad reaction to the bite of carrots which I didn't know had butter on them (I was SOOO mad!), but now I'm thinking it may have been a combination of foods at that particular meal: the aforementioned carrots, beef and red-wine. 
I eat a multi-grain musli cereal with almond milk every day for breakfast so I'm thinking it's not gluten or nuts.  I guess we just keep on eliminating until we find out!

Offline chars mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 21:12:02 pm »
Quick update, we've seen a Pediatric Gastroenterologist who specializes in MSPI.  He has mum eliminate all dairy, soy and beef right from the start.   The next thing to go is legumes.  Thought some of you may be interested!  :)

scarlettsmom

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 23:44:38 pm »
Good info, thanks Chars Mom!