Author Topic: stage 2 nutramigen  (Read 3830 times)

Offline pamelamcgahon

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: April 01, 2010, 14:59:16 pm »
We have been given stage 2 nutramigen as well as neocate lcp for keira.  Neocate is supposed to taste better for her food and we are to give nutramigen 2 in bottles.  Keira's had a chest infection and cold since we got it but doesn't seem to really want the nutramigen 2.  Does anyone know if it tastes different?  Is it thicker?  She seemed to suck ages the other day and only took an ounce.  I think I might go back to the dietician as neither are helping and getting her intake up from 15-20oz has resulted in a decline to about 6-10oz.  2 yesterday!!!

Offline Austin's mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • My animated dancing monkey!
Re: stage 2 nutramigen
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 13:25:46 pm »
Have you tired it chilled? My DS does much better drinking hypo formulas cold. And I'm pretty sure the Neocate is actually recommended that way. I think it helps mask the taste. The hypo formulas are much more bitter than the regular ones. The amino acid ones taste even worse. From what I understand and have experienced, it takes up to a good two weeks to get their intake back up to normal. Its rough though in the mean time )-: How are you transitioning her to it? If you switch cold turkey, its probably going to be alot more difficult for her to adjust to the taste (and her body). Did they mention anything about adding an oz a day? like if you are giving her a 4 oz bottle, you would do 3oz of her old milk, and 1 of the new formula. And every 2-3 days or so, you gradually replace another oz until she is drinking an entire bottle of the new. I've tried cold turkey and the gradual way, and it worked soooo much better! It just takes a little persistance. It ususally helps me to offer the new bottle first in the morning when they are nice and hungry and in a good mood too.

Offline pamelamcgahon

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 10:53:32 am »
Never had that mentioned before.  We are back on the stage 1 for the moment til she gets better.  For some reason first thing in the morning is the worst.  She's offered her bottle, takes none then has her weetabix with 3 oz of neocate in it sweetened by some fruit puree.

Might try and chill the bottles.  We're starting back on not warming them now the nicer weather is here so will see if that helps.  DH even just said he was thinking about whether that would help.  She has started taking more since they're cooler. 

As for taste, does the stage 2 taste different?  I am too much of a wimp to try!

Offline Austin's mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 00:40:50 am »
is the stage 2 the same as nutramigen AA? because if it is, then yes. Much worse. If its something different, than i have no idea... sorry(-: How old is she?

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 07:25:38 am »
is the stage 2 the same as nutramigen AA? because if it is, then yes. Much worse. If its something different, than i have no idea... sorry(-: How old is she?

No it is not the same as Nutramigen AA.  Nutramigen comes in stage 1 and stage 2 formula just as "regular" infant formula do. So stage 1 is meant for LOs up to 6 months and stage 2 for older babies - the calcium content is slightly higher and a few other things are increased a bit for older LOs.  Nutramigen AA is a completely different formula - it is an amino acid formula (also called "elemental") where the proteins are fully broken down the same way Neocate is. 

My DS didn't notice any difference at all in the taste when he went on to the stage 2 - didn't bat an eye.  But you can start mixing it gradually for her if she is fussy on the taste - use one scoop of stage 2 in each bottle (and one less of stage 1) and gradually increase the amount of stage 2 until she will drink it all.

HTH?

Offline Austin's mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 00:54:33 am »
Oh so sorry! I was completely wrong! Sooo much to learn it's so confusing!

Offline pamelamcgahon

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 20:20:51 pm »
Well, still back on stage 1 but she's taking more at room temp (slightly cold) so once her antibiotics are finished we may try her on the stage 2 as well.

Thanks