Author Topic: Went for ds allergy testing today..  (Read 3438 times)

Offline Mum to F&A

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: Went for ds allergy testing today..
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 20:17:48 pm »
well I don't know what happened but ds refused his bedtime bf!  :'( Although I know this is what we're aiming for I think it's going to hurt a lot.

Anyway he gulped down 5ozs of soya milk and went to bed. Is this enough milk? I have no idea what he should be having? He's still having the morning feed so I'm going to keep that until he's completely dropped the bedtime one. Also, my health visitor mentioned that the morning and evening feeds only are ok whilst he's BFing do I need to reintroduce a daytime feed if he's on soya only?

Sigh, it's hurting!   :(

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 18:18:25 pm »
Sorry Rebecca, I can't remember how old your lo is? When I work the night shift, my ds drinks 8-9oz soy milk before bed, but he is 18mo.  How did he sleep that night? Was he satisfied for as long as he normally was with bf?

If you're concerned about his intake, could you offer him some during the day with meals and/or snacks? Any added to solids counts too.

Re: the pain, you can pump off some excess milk (just enough to ease discomfort) and use cold compresses or cabbage leaves for some relief. Feel free to start a thread on bfing about that too. Plenty of moms have been there and you're sure to get loads of tips :)
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline Mum to F&A

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 18:42:17 pm »
Hey, he's 12months on the 28th. We had a good night really. Slept until 7am! In fact usually he's up at 6am for a bf so was a really good night  :).

Tonight he's taken 5oz - he didn't seem satisfied and refused more so I gave him a BF afterwards and he's just gone down for bed.

He has soya on his breakfast and I've started cooking with it so I think with the morning BF he's getting enough for now?

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 19:47:30 pm »
Glad you had such a great night! And you're right, that intake sounds just fine to me. You're right at the 1y mark and solids now take primary importance for nutrition, with milk taking a more supportive role. Sounds like things are going very well! You've made such great progress in such a short time :D

Offline Mum to F&A

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 23:00:24 pm »
So thought I'd give you an update.  :)

I tried to keep ds bedtime bf but he just didn't want it.  :( I was a lot more upset about this than he! So ds is 100% on soya milk now and he seems to love it. I think he worked out he could get a lot more milk for much less effort!

Thank you for all your support. I'm sure I'l be back asking more questions soon.  ::)

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 23:20:32 pm »
Thanks for that, I was wondering how things were going! I'm happy that he made the transition to soy so smoothly. It's always a little sad when the bfing relationship ends, but if he was ready then you couldn't ask for a better way :) And you've given him the best start and made it to over a year!! What a fantastic achievement!! ;D ;D ;D

good luck with everything! :-*