Author Topic: DD HATES the carseat! What do I do?????  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Mrs. A

• formerly SamirsMom
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
DD HATES the carseat! What do I do?????
« on: April 02, 2010, 18:57:12 pm »
Every time we go anywhere DD2 screams and screams for usually the entire ride!  It's definitely worse when she's ready to sleep- she refuses to fall asleep in there. It can be somewhat tolerable for a little while if we leave at the beginning of her A time right after she's been fed and changed, but her A times are still so short that we barely have time to get where we're going before the crying starts. It's to the point where I just don't want to go anywhere by myself. I'd rather wait for DH or someone to come with us so I can sit in the back with her to reassure her. We aren't out and about all the time and I don't mind mostly staying home, but there are some times when we HAVE to go places and can't exactly work around DDs times.  What can I do?????
Lisa
Proud mom to:
Samir 11 July 2006
Xenia 07 March 2008
Marina 20 January 2010
and one more on the way!

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
Re: DD HATES the carseat! What do I do?????
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 19:38:21 pm »
Looking at your ticker DD2 is 2.5monthsish? Have you checked the harness is in the right place? It was around this time I had to move the straps up as DS had gotten longer. Do you have any toys handing where she can see them even very simple ones at this age? Have you tried singing? My LO can scream in the car if he is tired and if I sing he will be quiet until I stop. 13 in the bed has been very good for longer journeys. Or does she like music?  Sometimes if I play the music on my phone that works too. Can she sit in the front seat so she can see you or do you have an airbag? Can you turn it off? What car seat do you have? One with good padding? You can buy padded inserts to make it more comfortable. Can you try playing with her in the seat when you are at home so she associates it with good things rather than feels threatened?

Offline bhmama512

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 21:58:00 pm »
No real advice, but if it makes you feel better, my 8 wk old is the exact same way. She does better on long trips on the interstate because eventually the white noise of traffic and the continuous movement of the car calms her. But that's of no help on the day-to-day in town driving. If she does calm down, then I inevitably hit a stoplight and the crying starts again.

My only tip is to make sure your LO is comfortable temperature-wise. I've found that DD gets warm really quickly in her carseat, especially if she's crying. I usually try to have windows open to get a cool breeze going, and make sure DD isn't bundled up much in her seat. She also really likes looking out the side windows, so I tend to not pull down the top visor thing on her carseat to block out the sun, even if it's sunny, because she's happier just turning her head to the other side to look out the other window if the sun is in her eyes on one side.

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 22:17:10 pm »
Not sure if this is a road you would want to go down but the only thing that made car journeys bearable with DD when she was teeny was a dummy...She always screamed in the car unless we were doing 70mph on the motorway ::) Which obviously we couldn't do everywhere! Good luck hope it improves :-*
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline Mrs. A

• formerly SamirsMom
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 23:59:35 pm »
We definitely use a paci, but the problem is, once she's gotten worked up she spits it out and i can't keep reaching from the drivers seat to give it back.

I've tried singing and talking to her and reaching around to touch her so that at least she knows I'm still there somewhere. It feels horrible to hear her cry like that and not be able to help.    :'(

Haven't tried any toys dangling from the handle yet- I may give that a go.  I think I also need to try to have her associate the carseat with positive things. That's a great suggestion.  
Lisa
Proud mom to:
Samir 11 July 2006
Xenia 07 March 2008
Marina 20 January 2010
and one more on the way!

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 00:10:06 am »
My dd did this too, and it was so stressful that I'd get anxiety attacks if I had to go out with her alone...I feel your pain!!

A few thoughts...my dd, as it turned out, had reflux, and the position she was in in the carseat was the absolute worst for her, I learned later. We reclined it a bit and she was a little better.   

We also had a mirror/light/toy thingee that attached to the backseat right in front of her, kwim? She could see herself, and the thing played music and had lights on it. Toys might help too, they make such bright little things to hang from the bar.

Lastly, we'd put her in the carseat/carrier at "happy" times, (rested, fed and content times, not sleepy or hungry) I even gave her a bottle in it a few times.  Sing to her, play itsy-bitsy spider, put her up on the counter while you cook or mix or whatever and just chat with her. It's important at those times to take her out while she is still happy, so she might change the assosciation.

HTH!   :)

MummyToBen

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 11:31:52 am »
Can you attach her dummy to her clothes with one of those little clips?  I can't think if she would be too little to reinsert it at this age though  :-\

Also, we have had masive sucess with covering the carseat over with a blanket (like a blackout - similar to what people sometimes do with pushchairs when their lo needs to nap) - and DS will often take a full nap like this - whereas uncovered it takes him *ages* to fall asleep and will rarely take more that 30 minutes. 

xx

Offline Mrs. A

• formerly SamirsMom
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 11:45:29 am »
She might like the blackout idea. She does like her face covered while she's sleeping.

Yesterday we went for a walk while she was happy and I had her in the carseat. ( normally I carry her in the sling). She did really well. She started to fuss a liitle before we got home, so I took her out and carried her the rest of the way so I could take her out happy. I was so pleased. I'm going to try this again today if the weather cooperates. 
Lisa
Proud mom to:
Samir 11 July 2006
Xenia 07 March 2008
Marina 20 January 2010
and one more on the way!