Author Topic: almost 3 yo screaming for hours at bedtime  (Read 747 times)

Offline everhopeful

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
almost 3 yo screaming for hours at bedtime
« on: April 05, 2010, 03:24:32 am »
I need help.  My almost 3 yo (he will be 3 in May) has taken to crying and screaming for hours every night in his crib.  We have tried soothing him, wi/wo, ignoring for periods at a time... nothing seems to work.  I will add that he has 10 mo twin brothers that I am doing wi/wo with right now and him crying in the room next to them is not helping.  I have been reading some other posts and am now thinking that his nap may be too long.  He sleeps for 2 - 2 1/2 hours each day.  Should I cut this down? Could there be anything else going on?  His typical days is

7:30/7:45 awake
1/1:30 - 3:30 nap
8pm bedtime (Usually not asleep until 9:30/10ish

He is still very tired when he wakes up from his nap. We wake him at 3:30 everyday.  HE would sleep until 4 or later if we let him. 

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: almost 3 yo screaming for hours at bedtime
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 05:10:23 am »
I would suspect the nap is too long. My 20 month old is on a very similar routine, just with a 1/2 h earlier bedtime. My oldest was on no naps by 2.5 (with a 12 hour night) and I consider both of them fairly average for sleep needs. Also, could he be uncomfortable in his crib? Though I can imagine it is much easier to keep him in it if you also have twins, maybe he is ready for a BBB?

HTH
Heidi
Heidi

Offline everhopeful

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 05:16:33 am »
Thank you!  we are moving in about two weeks so I am trying to keep him in his crib until that is completed and he is settled.  I must admit I am petrified of moving him to a BBB, but I know it must be done soon.  I know he knows how to and is capable of climbing out. He just hasn't yet. Thank goodness!  I will try cutting his nap by 15 minutes every couple of days and see if that helps. I am going to miss that break in the day though!! 

Thank you again!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 05:20:14 am »
Oh, I sure miss the nap most days too! Especially when you have more than one. I would keep him in the crib until the move too, but don't be too worried about the BBB. We moved Masyn to one at 2.5 with no problems and our youngest at 16 months (and she still hasn't figured out that she can actually get out of bed!)  Hope your move goes smoothly and that decreasing his nap gives you quieter nights!
Heidi