Author Topic: gluten free so far what food to introduce first?  (Read 1053 times)

Offline everhopeful

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
gluten free so far what food to introduce first?
« on: April 05, 2010, 18:00:09 pm »
My 10 mo boys have been gluten free, dairy free, soy free since I went on an elimination diet because one had terrible reflux.   It made a ton of difference.  We went for allergy testing and he came up negative for wheat.  The allergist is recommending we start slowly introducing wheat. I am of course very scared, but would love to be past this allergy food lifestyle.  I am not sure what food to introduce first.  I don't know if it matters but I would like it to be something with not a whole lot of extra stuff in it. I read the cheerios box and that has a lot of ingredients. So does bread.  Is there anything that is recommended as a first food for a wheat challenge?

Thank you!

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
Re: gluten free so far what food to introduce first?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 02:52:28 am »
Could you bake bread yourself? There are pretty simple bread recipes with few ingredients. Or pancakes? You could use flour and whatever milk/formula they boys drink and sweeten with fruit - mashed banana or applesauce could work. What about a wheat baby cereal?

Good luck, I hope the challenge goes well! :-*
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline everhopeful

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: gluten free so far what food to introduce first?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 04:25:03 am »
Thank you.  What great ideas.  I am so in this gluten free life style I can't even think of non gluten free options and yours are great. I like the idea of teh baby cereal. I am going to check that out the next time I am at the store.  Thank you again!