Author Topic: Milk intolerance - am I paranoid?  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Milk intolerance - am I paranoid?
« on: April 07, 2010, 11:21:33 am »
Hi,

I have cut dairy from my diet (BF a 11 w/o DS) and have slowly started to re-introduce. DS was OK with butter and so I introduced a tiny amount of cream 3 days running. Every day he has been sick a bit (he is hardly ever sick normally).

Is this really enough to show that he is having a reaction to the cream?? I know that possetting is really normal for babies. Sometimes I think I am being paranoid and that it is just a co-incidence but of course I will do anythign for DS to be OK.

??? ???

scarlettsmom

Re: Milk intolerance - am I paranoid?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 18:33:11 pm »
Hi there,

It is very hard not to get somewhat paranoid while trying to work through food issues with our LOs.  If you suspected a milk allergy from the beginning, dropped milk and saw an improvement that is a great first step.  Butter actually can be quite safe for milk allergic bubs/mamas.  it is made from pure fat and has little, if any, milk protein in it.  So to be ok with that, but then get a reaction from the cream is a definite possibility.

Typically if there is a problem with milk you should wait several months to reintroduce into your diet.  Perhaps try the cream again around 6 months?  I think he DID react, you aren't being paranoid, but looks like you can keep the butter in your diet which is HUGE!

HTH and good luck!!   :-*

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 07:05:21 am »
Butter actually can be quite safe for milk allergic bubs/mamas.  it is made from pure fat and has little, if any, milk protein in it. 

That is interesting. Are there any other foods like this that you think are dairy but in fact don't contain the protein?

If DS is not reacting to butter then would this suggest that he doesn't have MPSI which seems to be a very serious condition? Or could he just have a mild form of it?

Thanks for your help  :)

scarlettsmom

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 01:12:32 am »
No no, if he can tolerate butter it definitely does NOT mean he isn't MPSI or point to a milder form.  My DD2 can have butter no problem, but is still very allergic to milk.  From what I understand Ghee, which is a clarified butter (boiled down, until all the water is evaporated) does not have milk solids in it either.  But I don't know of anything else in the dairy family like that. 

How is everything going now?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 09:07:31 am »
He is still being a bit sick but not he thick white stuff that he does after I have milk. He had a rash on his face too and I swear that is a bit better now.  :)