Author Topic: What routine to use for baby eating solids?  (Read 1553 times)

Offline munchkin11809

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
What routine to use for baby eating solids?
« on: April 07, 2010, 16:07:58 pm »
what schedule do you use? I just got the book and noticed that when feeding solids the schedule for eating in the book is between every 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours witch doesn't fit the easy routine. I need to get my baby on a schedule so he sleeps better at night but now I'm just confused on what to do. How much do you feed you baby and how often? What do you feed when? what is a routine that you found works? I would greatly appreciate the feedback. My baby is 5 months old and had all the signs he was ready to eat solids the doc said it was OK and he does great eating them I call him a hungry hippo :) if you have any suggestions that would be great.

Offline rach321

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
  • My monkey boys.
Re: What routine to use for baby eating solids?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 20:03:54 pm »
I'm no expert but when I started weaning at 5 months I used to do the milk feeds as normal (4hrs apart) and then slot the solid feeds in between, making sure that he wasn't too tired, so not just before he was due for a nap. At this stage you just want to get him used to the idea of solid food, milk will be his main nutrition for a good while yet. A lot of it depends on the temperament of your baby, mine was v touchy as a baby and wouldn't be interested at all if he was too hungry for milk or too tired!

Offline Tay

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 15:08:49 pm »
The way I used to think about it (with DD and about to start DS) was that her routine was the same until she was 9 months old and the solids part of it was almost like playtime - practicing eating, trying different tastes etc, sometimes she would eat loads at one meal (especially after 7 months) sometimes very little.

So we started only giving her only pureed fruit at 9am (only a couple of spoonfuls) and the rest of the routine the same, once she was used to it and had already tried bananas, pears and apples we started giving her pureed vegetables at 12.30/1pm and so on... I'm sure you got the hang of it.

When she had gone through a whole load of tastes and I knew she was eating a balanced diet of solids, only then I dropped one milk feed during the day.
Hope this helps.
xxx

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 02:54:35 am »
We did pretty much the same as pps.  Before age 1 milk (either breast milk or formula) is their main source of nutrition.  Solids are really more for fun, experimenting with new tastes and textures, and learning that nutrition can come from more than milk, kwim?  So you would follow EASY, using milk feeds as your E time and slotting solids in your A time, about 1h-1.5h after milk feeds.  This way your lo is hungry enough to try the solids, but still is getting the bulk of their nutrition from milk.

Our daytime routine looked roughly like this:
7 bf
8 solids (started with breakfast when we first began solids at 5.5mo)
11 bf
1230 lunch (this was the last meal that we added, I don't think we did this until closer to 7mo)
3 bf
4/430 solids (added this meal around 6mo)
630/7 bf before bed

hth :)
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline babyjaz09

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 01:07:45 am »
My LO is 5 months as well and I'm just about to start stage 1 purees. This is great advice. I just wanted to say THANK YOU FOR POSTING!! :)