Author Topic: 2 yrs. 4 mo. waking earlier and earlier  (Read 866 times)

Offline mommyET

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 08, 2010, 12:40:32 pm »
My DD just turned 2yrs. 4 mo.  She naps from about 12:30-2:00 (it's usually between 1 hour 20 min. to 2 hrs.). Sometimes I'll put her down a bit earlier or later depending on how she seems during the day.  Her bedtime is around 7:15-7:30.  She usually goes to sleep really well after the wind down routine.  It's seems like for a while now her morning wake up time has been getting earlier and earlier.  She used to consistently get up around 6:30 and now it has often been before 6 (around 5:45 or so).  We try to get her to go back to sleep but she won't.  I've tried bumping her bedtime later but she still gets up at the same time and so then I figure she's just getting even LESS sleep. I've also tried bumping it earlier (to 7:00) but then she doesn't go to sleep as quickly and ends up being asleep pretty much at her normal sleep time (or later because she ends up working herself out of a calm state due to not being tired enough for bed yet). BUT, It'd be really nice if I could figure out a way to get her wake up time back to even around 6:30.  She has been in a big girl bed since she was 18 months.  She still does not have her 2 year molars and from what I can tell they aren't coming in yet.  Could it possibly be that she needs less sleep now?  She goes down for her nap so well that I figure she's still needing the nap during the day, but could it be that she doesn't need to nap as much and that is what is causing her to do less night sleep?  IDK???  ???

Offline Texomamama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: 2 yrs. 4 mo. waking earlier and earlier
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 13:34:39 pm »
If you have tweaked her nights, and it is making no difference, then I would think your next course of action is to tweak the nap and shorten it, or consider dropping it altogether.  I am also going through this with my DD who is 2 years and 6 months.  She spends lots of time talking and babbling in her room at nap time, and although nights are unaffected so far, I am about to start shortening her nap, which makes me really, really sad because Mommy NEEDS that time, kwim?

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 15:28:12 pm »
I would try cutting the nap to an hour and see if that helps as you have already tried the later bedtime.
LAURA xx

Offline mommyET

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 04:06:29 am »
Ok...I will give that a try and we'll see how it goes...I really didn't want to have to do that, but if it'll help with the morning wake up time I'd rather.  But, waking a child up from a nap...ugh!  ;)  I have a 5 month old too and so this time (during my 2 yr. old's nap when they are BOTH napping) is such treasured time during the day!  Too bad I can't have a good nap from the 2 yr. old AND a good morning wake up time!!!!  ;D 

Offline marensmama

• Showing Appreciation 202
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 04:21:01 am »
I'm going through this too, I've got another thread going with no replies yet, but my DD is having a hard time going to sleep at night.  I'm looking forward to her dropping her nap though, as my DD1 hasn't napped in almost 2 years and it's tough being home/keeping her quiet for the duration of the nap.  My ME time is long gone (but I do remember being so sad about at the time!!)  I'll be keeping an eye out to see how you make out!
Nicole - Mom to My Lovely Girls

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 07:36:06 am »
I think some LOs just need less day sleep to ensure they are tired enough to sleep a long stretch at night.  You just have to decide whether you want a long night and shorter nap so earlier bedtime, or longer nap and shorter night so later bedtime.  Unfortunately a lot of us (and believe me I probably know this more than most ;) ) can't have long naps and long nights!
LAURA xx