Author Topic: Bad nappy rash - could it be food allergy?  (Read 1931 times)

Offline ~Jen~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Bad nappy rash - could it be food allergy?
« on: April 06, 2010, 20:07:54 pm »
DS has been suffering from some awful nappy rashes lately.  It seems to come and go and I haven't been able to figure out a pattern and was wondering whether it could be foods he is eating?  He doesn't have any known allergies although maybe we missed other symptoms?  He does have eczema and gets very red cheeks from time to time (always assumed teething).  He is on a fairly varied diet and at this point we haven't really avoided much.  I keep a diary of what he eats but haven't been able to figure out what is causing this rash. 

It is really red and blotchy.  It does come and go although when it comes, it often has little pimples and they can get bloody.  Ouch! It looks so painful.  It always seems to flare up once he has a poo (and we are always good about changing him right away).  We try and give him naked time when we can.  Tonight he screamed when we put him in the bath (normally loves his baths) and is arching is back and squirming when we try and change his nappy.  He is definitely in discomfort and I just don't know how to make it better for him - we use different nappy rash creams but it always seems to take a few days before it clears.  Has anyone ever experienced something like this?

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Bad nappy rash - could it be food allergy?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 22:07:35 pm »
Sounds like a fungal nappy rash to me, have you taken him to the Dr? A fungal rash won't clear with regular cream but needs a fungicidal one like Canestan or Daktarin.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 23:30:05 pm »
Sounds like fungal/yeast to me too. Gotta keep it dry, that's key!

If you have a, um, "feminine anti-yeast cream" that's made to be mild for delicate parts of the anatomy, say, that's often a good start; the little tubes  of "external vulvar cream" ::) that often come in Monistat packages (at least here in the States) are perfect for this - they don't burn like some straight-up antifungals do when the skin is broken. And maybe some naked-bottom time throughout the day to let some air on it as well.

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 06:19:15 am »
DS often gets a red bottom although no spots on it, again leaving a mark the shape of the poo on his bottom. It can clear up really quickly with a bit of nappy cream/by itself and other times it is there for longer.  I am starting to think that his is caused by fruit juice (and he used to get a sore tummy when I drank fresh orange then breastfed him) ...
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline ~Jen~

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 19:55:55 pm »
thanks for all the great suggestions.  The rash got even worse today and I'm definitely going to try some of the anti-fungals/yeast cream.  Nothing to lose at this point. I took a picture of it and texted my ped - so will see what he says as well.  aw, breaks my heart! thanks for your help.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 21:49:08 pm »
Oooh, that story reminds me of when we gave Josie too much fruit juice on a weekend away. NASTY rash from that, poor thing was in tears nonstop for like two days.  :'( :'( :'(

After that we diluted her fruit juice so it was actually mostly water with a bit of juice in it for coloring and a hint of flavor. Sugar (the fructose in the juice) feeds yeast in the system - that's my theory for why that happened, anyway.

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 06:42:30 am »
That's interesting about the sugar feeding yeast.  Didn't know that.  We always dilute the fruit juice with lots of water but even still it seems to bother him.  Maybe it's too much yeast in his system as he can live on breadsticks, etc (alongside his full meals!!!)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline ~Jen~

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 19:16:35 pm »
Well you were spot on - we took him to the doctor today and it is a fungal nappy rash.  We got a prescription for Daktarin and tried it tonight.  He already seems better!  Will also keep in mind the sugar feeding yeast point for the future.  thanks so much..

scarlettsmom

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 23:47:52 pm »
yay - glad that you have a quick diagnosis and treatment!  I was going to say the same things all the other smart mamas did - fungal./yeast infection - my DD2 gets them quite frequently.  I don't even get the prescription anymore, just use vagisal or lotrimin from the pharmacy and that wipes it out. 

VERY good info about the sugar.  I didn't know that.  One weekend when DD had a yeast infection she had lots of OJ and omg it was HORRIBLE.  Now it makes more sense.  thanks.   :D