Author Topic: How much food is too much food to give to a 9 1/2 Month old?  (Read 1111 times)

Offline twogirlsmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • aka Brennasmommy
How much food is too much food to give to a 9 1/2 Month old?
« on: April 11, 2010, 22:14:34 pm »
Okay so we have been on solids since about 6 months and doing pretty well so far.  We are stuck in a food rut but that is my problem not hers :)  My question is how do you know if you have given them too much food?  Right now she takes 3 bottles each 8 oz and has 3 meals.  An example of a meal is what she just at for dinner: about 12 cubes of cheese, almost 4 ounces of yogurt, half a pear, 6 pieces of squash, and about 2.5 ounces corn and sweet potato puree.  She also drank half a straw sippy cup of water.  Now realisticly she could have finished off the yogurt and still probaly eaten some puffs or cheerios but I cut her off because that is a lot of food.  She is a big girl (95% in height and weight) but when is it too much food and when will she send me the signal that she has had enough?  ???

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
Re: How much food is too much food to give to a 9 1/2 Month old?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 01:11:57 am »
You've got a good eater on your hands! :)

before age 1 milk (breast or formula) should be their main source of nutrition. As long as you don't notice a decrease in her milk intake you're ok! She will let you know when she's done (turning her head away, playing more than eating, etc) or you can certainly limit her meals after she's had a substantial amount. I never limited my ds' solids (though I never really had to, he wasn't a great eater until about 1yo or so); I just let him eat until he is done :)

hth!
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
Re: How much food is too much food to give to a 9 1/2 Month old?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 09:28:02 am »
Babies are a good guide to how much they need to eat so I would let her guide you and ensure you keep solids shortly after milk feeds with a good gap before the next one so she doesn't fill up and then decrease her milk intake as per PP. if I think it will impact on his next milk feed I also limit. My Ds is the same age and also eats loads. usually for dinner, though he will eat much less for breakfast especially and also for lunch. On a good day he will eat a quarter of chicken breast, quarter of a big potato, half a long carrot, 4 or 5 sprigs of broccoli and a whole yogurt, a strawberry and 3 grapes for dessert. As long as it is a balanced meal she is eating and not empty calories I think it is ok.