Author Topic: Playdough--tips for minimizing mess with 4 yo and 2 yo? Or is it hopeless?  (Read 6495 times)

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 326
Is play dough just hopelessly messy? 

DS and DD love to play with it, but clean up frustrates me.  It ends up in multi-colored bits all over the table and floor.  I think I'm going to switch to home made play dough in just one color as that will be more straightforward to clean up and seems to be less crumbly than the stuff from the store, but still, it's making me a bit frustrated. 

I love that they (especially the 4 yo) will play with it independently for a long period of time, but then I feel like I pay for the break with the clean up.  He does help some with clean up, but especially with the stuff on the floor, it just seems beyond what he's really able to clean effectively.

As I'm typing this I'm thinking part of my solution may also be getting a better bin to put the tools in instead of the plastic zipper thingy they came in as it's not super-kid friendly either. 

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
What if you cut up a large contractor sized trash bag and used it as a sort of drop cloth that you don't have to clean that much, just fold and save for the next playdough session. Also, a bigger rubber bin would probably help like you said.

Offline Missy Lou

• Showing Appreciation 138
i was going to suggest outside, but is J can play alone for long periods then that's not a good suggestion.

the best i can come up with is a tarp you put on the kitchen floor.  have J put the stuff away.  fold up the tarp, toss it outside to get the crumbs out.  ?? maybe?  

i bought a small plastic tote with easy open lid for addie's playdough accessories.  

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
we have a big bin that holds all the play doh supplies. where do they play? my DS has a small kid table that he plays at w/ the play doh (and other such crafts). anyway, i  usually give him a sturdy placemat to play on. also, we have this little playdoh tool that def helps pick up the crumbs (see link and i paid like $5 not $10). my 3.5 yo will vacuum up the mess for me (leftover crumbs) w/ a hand held vacuum  - which he loves! can your 4 yo do something like that? it is not a perfect clean up, but good enuf IYKWIM.

http://www.amazon.com/Playskool-Play-Doh-Clean-Up-Pals/dp/B001E39CZ6

i will take this little kit (placemat (flimsy), etc) to restaurants too.
heather

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
playdough (until recently) was always an outside toy (my dh's big pet peeve and makes him very scrooge-ish). often with a mat under the table/area and always using a placemat at the table they do it at. i just forever remiond them to pick up whatever falls on the floor but of course some gets tracked in the house (dh: grumble grumble LOL)

we mostly use homemade because playdough is super overpriced in oz. we have all the accessories in a big bin so you just toss it all in at clean up.

at 5 and 6 my kids still play with dough all the time and i love how long it can keep them playing.  worth the mess to me but everyone has their limits (i become a scrooge with painting as that one really makes me nuts no matter how old they get it is ALWAYS MESSY)

Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
My DD has only just started playing with play dough and loves it! I was hesitant to start her with it because I loathed the thought of the mess but I find the 10mins it takes to clean it up is worth the 45mins of peace it buys me!
Also, I only get out one colour at a time!

I like the idea of the drop cloth that you just fold away.... might do that!
Jenny - mama to

Offline NicolleD

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
My LO is only 15 weeks but I'm a special needs teacher and use playdough a lot at school. I use an oil cloth over the table and under it to catch the bits. Also I sometimes use a huge tray with sides to it which you can get from a big DIY store that workmen use to mix cement and stuff in, that tends to keep it contained and they are not expensive. Its also quite nice to make your own, its very easy and the children can join in with making it, I add different colours and essences so it smells of different things to.
Have fun!
Nicolle x

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
I suppose you could use metal cookie sheets. That would help it stay contained as well. :)

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
Well, I got everything organized in a more kid-friendly bin and hid all but the one color of homemade play dough and things are already better.  It helps to know that others find it messy too--not just me.  I was starting to think I was missing some magic solution, lol, as it was really making me a bit nuts. 

Motivated me to get all of our crafty sort of things organized and I think it will be good for my sanity and the kids cleaning up after themselves as well. 

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
YAY! i use one of those rolling bins that has ~ 5 drawers in them, each one dedicated to a craft. got it at target. nice b/c you can roll it far away if you don't want to look at it.  my playdoh is in a separate bin all together b/c there is alot of stuff.
heather