Author Topic: When is a 3hr nap ok?  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Glo-Go

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
When is a 3hr nap ok?
« on: April 16, 2010, 20:59:09 pm »
I read in the BW book that we should try and discourage naps that are longer than 2hrs. I couldnt find until what age!
My 4m DD was on a great 4hr EASY and since the beginning of this week her naps have been all over the place!  ???
finally we've done a couple consistent days...
So the past 2 days she's been sleeping 2hrs in the morning and then 3hrs in the afternoon. This is what our new typical day looks like:
6am wake up
7:30 nap
9am wake up
12/12:30 nap
3/3:30 wake up
6pm catnap
6:30 bath
7:30 bed
she usually wakes up at least once - last week a shussh pat worked but now she is hungry!
what do you think? should i change anything?
thank you!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: When is a 3hr nap ok?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 21:42:00 pm »
You generally don't want naps over 2 hours until they are on one nap a day, as a toddler. It robs from night sleep for most. BUT with that being said, if you have a high sleep needs LO then it may not be a problem. Night sleep is a good guide - if nights are good and smooth then what you're doing during the day is working.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 21:42:59 pm »
I think it looks great and if its working for you I'd keep going with it.  Here's some info I always use when adjusting routines:

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=85130.0

1-3 months                    15-18 hours, until                Three naps, 1.5 hours each + catnap;
More alert and aware           18 months of age                 8 hours at night
of surroundings; able  
to move head

4-6 months                                                           Two naps, 2-3 hours each OR;
Gaining mobility                                                       3 naps; 2 2hr naps & 1 45min catnap
                                                                                10-12 hours at night

So at 4 months its fine to do naps as you are doing.  In fact I'd have loved long naps like that at that age!!

And one feed in the night at 4 months is actually ok.  Alot of babies still need to NF at that age.  

Once she's a bit older and your A time increases you should be able to fade out that catnap and move the naps forward a bit and have an earlier bedtime if thats what you are aiming for.   I see she's doing a 10.5 hour night/13.5 hour day at the minute and you may want to move move toward 12/12 or 11/13 as she sleeps longer at night.

HTH!

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
Re: When is a 3hr nap ok?
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 21:44:26 pm »
What would you hope to achieve by limiting this nap? Is the extra sleep in the day affecting her night sleep adversely?  Is she hungry because she is eating less in the day because she is sleeping more? If neither then I would imagine Tracy would say don't try to fix it if it ain't broke. If you are having sleeping problems since she started sleeping more then maybe cap it at 2hrs and see if these resolve. There is a growth spurt around 4 months so sometimes they sleep a little more at these times and if she is hungry too maybe this is why?