Author Topic: Australian MSPI safe foods?? (plus gluten free ideas)  (Read 14667 times)

Offline EloysH

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Re: Australian MSPI safe foods?? (plus gluten free ideas)
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 06:11:01 am »
yeah I am taking a probiotic supplement and calcium supp. Need to check the probiotic.  I am not worrying about trace dairy or soy too much, so does that cover the probiotic?

Great news about the oats!!   So oats aren't wheat then... gee i really need to brush up on my grains.  NOt worries about traces of gluten, after all I am going to trial spelt wheat soon and see how that goes.

Yes bf'ing,  I am find that the over supply is quite a factor in flaring up the reflux and colic symptoms, so overfeeding and lactose build up is something I'm trying to control a bit. 

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2010, 04:47:02 am »
hmmm i am taking calcium supp but not probiotic, may have to look into that. why is this recommended?

on vegetable oil, some stuff i was reading today says that undisclosed vegetable oil can often be soy oil... guess i will be getting those expensive potato chips and corn chips!

rina, thanks so much for that fabulous list! cant wait to try a few more things ;D
so if i'm looking for cause of an intolerance then i just need to cut wheat not gluten?? lactation consultant recommended gluten free trial after dairy free trial ???
he has major reflux symptoms - actual spit up dramatically reduced when cut dairy/soy, did glass of milk challenge and threw up/back arching etc all back for 72hrs, horrible poop, etc, he is on losec now and has improved a lot but still suspect something may be bugging him - poop smells horrid sometimes small mucousy strings and really watery blowout poops, still has occasional reflux sessions but nothing as bad as before. could just be reflux but would like to rule out possibility of food aggrivation.

anyone know off hand some products that contain soy lecithin or soy oil for testing soon?? tho other than spitting up again, how am i meant to tell if it is a problem as his poops dont seem quite right anyway??

Offline EloysH

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2010, 05:18:18 am »
Kirry, from what I have learned this time around I would say that the poops sounds like food aggravation to me, esp mucuosy strings and blow out.  Did you speak to Anne LC or are you referring to your original LC?  Horrid smell is a tell tale sign of something although I don't know what. Maybe a sign of imbalance in gut bacteria - just a guess.  If you got Anne in she would smell the poop and offer a suggestion.

Probiotic is for balancing the gut bacteria, because he is on the meds and also because his gut was so fermented, with the fermentation comes a build up and imabalance of bacteria that feed on all the fermenting things like extra lactose overload or the fermnenting yeasts and gluten foods.  So the probitoic can help his little system restore a balance whilst in this fermented state. 

If his poops don't seem quite right maybe wait a little longer with being on the diet and see if they get better? Then you can do a challenge. I am not sure, this is getting into difficult territory.    The soy test though, I am guessing should produce symptoms similar to the dairy test, esp of you do with soy milk.

I have to admint his sympotms are getting alot better now that I have the full elimination diet and lactose overload from breastmilk measures in place. His symptoms of discomfort are more of the classic uppoer tract reflux symptoms as opposed to lower   gut.

Offline rinajack

• Showing Appreciation 162
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010, 09:25:03 am »
In most cases of intolerance, there is an amount of a food that CAN be tolerated, however small.  If you cut wheat, it will cut almost all gluten (but leave a few extra products open to you for consumption) and you should still see an improvement.  I would check with your medical professional what they think of this, but with both my kids, after consult with the paediatric gastroenterologist, I was advised specifically cut wheat, not gluten.
Rina - Mum to Zara 29/3/06
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2010, 09:36:48 am »
elo, no original LC, must get off my butt and call anne soon and see what she has to say. maybe a probiotic may help? cant hurt anyway.

rina, thankyou. am thinking of getting a referral to a gastroentorologist, we had a pretty violent reaction when i did the glass of milk test but paed isnt too concerned as there was no visible blood in his poop. my mum spoke to her gastroentorologist (she has reflux too) about his symptoms and he said he'd def be looking at poss food intolerances. like everything with bubs always soooo many diff opinions i gues ??? from your experience, does the poop sound like it could still be an intolerance? i know all bubs are diff but would love some more input.

also, dh realised tonight that we have been using stored milk for the df, so although that milk would be dairy/soy free, it's not wheat/gluten free yet...

Offline rinajack

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2010, 10:08:44 am »
Yes, that poop does sound like intolerance poop to me.  DS had that.  DD did not, she had constipation.
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline MLK

• Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2010, 10:15:42 am »
DS2 had mucusy poo too, at other times it was watery, green and foamy. It turned to normal BF baby poo after about a month of the elimination diet. After  Idid the milk challenge he was back to Nwing and had poo that looked like spinach and ricotta cheese!

Soy lecithin is in everything, prob also the Lindt dark choc :( A lot of mayo has soy lecithin in it, check the labels. Soy oil is usually more of a problem in products from the US, it's not used so much in Oz made products. But a lot of babies can't tolerate soy but can take soy oil as most of the protein has been refined out.

Offline EloysH

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2010, 10:41:41 am »
Just to put your mind at ease too, Kai's poos have gone back to lovely yellow with mustard seeds and thicker not squirty since Friday.   Since that time I have been diligent with my breastfeeding stuff.

So I feel the food intolerances is settling, and its the reflux that is making him unsettled now.   When I fell off the wagon with expressing last week, we got a poo with  a green tinge and sugary smelling - meaning lactose overload.  So the poos don't lie!

Offline EloysH

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2010, 10:43:46 am »
mucousy poos I think are related to dairy and soy intolerance more than anything?

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2010, 11:07:11 am »
thanks for all the input ladies, greatly appreciated :-* (prob should have started a diff thread on all that...)

lan, he has had a couple of screamer bf sessions and the only thing really diff that i ate that i could think of was the choc :( maybe it is the soy... i didnt think much of it because it said may contain traces of soy lecithin but maybe that is enuf.

going to have to go super strict on my diet again i guess.

elo, i was wondering about lactose overload too given what you guys are going thru but he hasnt had that sweet smelling poop in a few weeks, just really stinky ones. wonder if his medication (losec 2 x 2.5mg a day) would effect this ???

Offline MLK

• Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2010, 11:20:43 am »
He could also be sensitive to the choc itself unfortunately :( There was one brand of choc that used sunflower lecithin, a fair trade health food shop (expensive!) brand that I can't recall the name ATM. Not Green and Black's, another one.

Offline sherry lynn

• Showing Appreciation 127
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2010, 11:43:34 am »
Emory's smell like rotten eggs, is this how Kingston's smell? Very sulfury.

Does that sound like dairy/soy intolerance? 
DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline rinajack

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2010, 11:54:39 am »
The choc would also have caffeine...could be that upsetting him too.

Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline EloysH

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2010, 23:42:58 pm »
the sulphury smell could be from the sulphury foods like eggs, broccolli, cauliflower, dried fruits

Offline sherry lynn

• Showing Appreciation 127
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2010, 00:16:34 am »
I haven't been having any of those :(
Today was the first time in a week that I had eggs. And it's been like that for awhile. I cut broc and caul out because I thought I did notice a reaction to broccoli.
DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010