Author Topic: Australian MSPI safe foods?? (plus gluten free ideas)  (Read 14693 times)

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 100
Re: Australian MSPI safe foods?? (plus gluten free ideas)
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2010, 03:34:05 am »
sherry, not really sure how to describe it but just dont smell like those sweeter smelling bf poops.

interestingly, his poop has gone back to that sweeter biscuit type smell, no mucous in sight, for the last 3 days. so i'm thinking it's either the wheat/gluten that i have cut out or not having anymore choc but the choc was only a recent thing and the awful poops have been here for a couple of weeks...

am trying the soy challenge this weekend, got a new bottle of meds and dh is home so we will see what it brings! should i eat/drink just one thing or take it over the whole weekend? how long would you expect it to take for a reaction to show up? the milk challenge was pretty quick as in the next feed and for around 3 days he was spitting up heaps and unsettled but what if it is a more subtle intolerance?

new dessert idea
- coconut cream
- tin mango
blend and freeze, yummy ;D

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2010, 03:56:42 am »
Kirry,  I think the challenge is the same as the milk challenge,  You should notice a reaction within the hour. If not, then the protein tolerated to an extent. It should come back up before being digested...
For a lesser intolerance I'm not sure prob drink a couple cups a  day and see what happens, if symptoms build..    there must be a wesbite that within instructionms on how to do a food chellenge for soy.

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2010, 04:58:51 am »
found a few things that say previous symptoms should present within a week or two, assume that would mean consuming it every day tho ??? if only my paed was more helpful ::)

Offline rinajack

• Showing Appreciation 162
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2010, 08:57:36 am »
Intolerances can be hard to identify, it can take weeks.  This is because it can take a build up - like my DS can tolerate soy milk in products and cooking, but can't eat soy yoghurt or drink soy milk, because quantity wise that is obviously more than his system can tolerate.  You definitely will NOT always see a reaction within the hour.  My DD, who is definitely dairy intolerant, gets a reaction to that within a couple of hours, however with wheat, it takes her about 24 hours to show any reaction.
Rina - Mum to Zara 29/3/06
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2010, 09:39:54 am »
thanks rina, so i guess do the challenge for soy for a couple of weeks and see if any symptoms return? (unless of course they present sooner) and if they do you cut it out again and see if it disappears?

Offline rinajack

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2010, 02:45:36 am »
Yes, that is how I would approach it.  You will need to keep all other things constant while you do the challenge though.
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2010, 09:50:50 am »
well big fail on the soy challenge, had a glass soy milk on sat morning, vomitting started that afternoon (not as much as with cow's milk but still more than usual) and by that night had green poops, mucous in them the next day. back to the strict diet for me. poop is back to normal today (wed) and spit up has settled but still fluxing in his throat. paed still wants me to do milk challenge again and well pretty sure we all know what's going to happen :(

anyway, new foods to add:

breads (from health food store) -
Naturis Organic Bread Gluten Free Buckwheat Loaf. i had to google that buckwheat is def not wheat, lol. this is dairy, soy, wheat and gluten free.
Dovedale Chia Bread (Dairy, Egg, Soy, Nut and Gluten Free), note it says soy free but it has Guar Gum. So i guess avoid it if your LO has a high level intolerance, but may be tolerated if lower level :-\

new muesli bar, from Coles, really yummy -
Food for Health, Gluten Free Bar (Gluten Dairy and Soy free)

Why is it that you cant have Guar or Xantham Vegetable Gums when they arent actually soy? Anyone know?

Offline MLK

• Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2010, 10:24:51 am »
Naturis - that was the bread I was thinking about! They also do/did a rice bread that I liked better than the buckwheat one.

I never avoided the gura/xantham gum and never had any problems.

Vita Weat have just put out a range of rice crakers - I think some of the flavours are dairy, soy, & wheat free. The plain ones would be OK i'm sure.

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2010, 11:11:09 am »
Kirry, I'm sorry that these challenges are so painful for you guys  :(  Maybe if the PAED had been through this stuff himself he wouldn't be so quick to suggest another challenge!  ( I am assuming here).  I won't be doing a MSPI challenge for Kai, I am too traumatised by the reflux already.   I would rather stay dairy free until he's onto solids.    Besides, its actually doing wonders for my skin, its never been so clear!     

BTW  the PAED today said that I need to be having 1.2 g of calcium a day whoopsie I was only taking 500mg!     At least I am getting 300mg in a glass of rice milk.

I think I need a new supplement, as that adds up to 4 tablets a day, and on top of my breastfeeding vitamin and probiotic its too many tablets!

Offline rinajack

« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2010, 12:15:34 pm »
Is there such a thing as too many tablets? LOL.  I myself currently take 6 per day, and I do not have a modified diet!

The tests when reintroducing foods are stressful - I was not encouraged once I removed the foods to try them so often though...is there any real need to try before 1 yr old? Or any more frequently than 6 monthly? I didn't even try dairy again when BF DS until he was 1 yr old.  And now that it is all from solid food, the paed told us we only needed to try 6 monthly, and only if we wanted to - Zara is 4 now and not outgrown, they would be happy for me to try annually I think.  With Hugh, since he still has reflux etc, re trying hasn't even been discussed and he has been off wheat AND dairy for almost 18 months!
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline sherry lynn

• Showing Appreciation 127
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2010, 23:37:43 pm »
I wouldn't try it either :(
DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

hrk

« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2010, 04:02:16 am »
I am going to have a read through for the gf ideas, and I need to read through the posts.  I am on day 3 of going gluten free with H.  (eyeroll)  No change in the skin, as of yet... sometimes we get a couple of days in a row where it is better. 

My mom picked up a gf book for baking; I made bread from it.  I miss the taste of gluten, apparently.  If I smother it with pb on the front and back, add apple butter (and some pumpkin puree for vit a), H eats it.  It is this book: http://www.glutenfreebaking101.com/

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2010, 06:09:18 am »
lets just say i am not happy with our paed >:( he still seems to think i am over the top about this as kingston doesnt have blood in poop and is gaining weight well, hmm well maybe that is because i keep eliminating the problem foods! he wants us to do milk challenge again to check before prescribing neocate. i will continue bfing for a while as it is what kingston needs but wanted the flexibility of a bottle or two a day as i cant express huge amounts. (takes 2 sessions to get a bottle, which i know isnt bad but just hard to fit in with a toddler!) seeing our gp on monday, he is away so cant get in any sooner and dont want to see another as this guy is really good with kids, will be getting referall to another paed i think and discuss seeing a paediatric gastroentorologist.

rina, did/do any of your LOs have trouble with vegetable gums? guar gum or xantham gum?

lan, will look out for those crackers and that bread. the chia bread is actually really nice too.

jean, have you cut out wheat before with H? maybe we should start a recipe thread for gluten, soy, dairy free. i made minestrone the other day with some nice rice vermicelli i found. also doing a lot of stir fries with some thick rice noodles i found in the cold section. am upstairs at the moment so will post names of these for the aussie ladies soon :-*

elo, the calcium tabs i am on i only need 2 for that amount. will post name later. (i have 8 domperidone to add to the tablet mix too! health nurse wants me to stay on them til 4mths but i am thinking of cutting back sooner, since being on them kingston hasnt not managed more than 3hrs between feeds even at night! could be coincidence but cant help but htink maybe it is speeding up his gastric emptying too and making him hungrier cos i know i am ravenous on these! actually wish i had of just stuck to expressing to up supply but hn pushed it and i was worried he would loose weight :( )

Offline rinajack

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2010, 08:55:37 am »
No my kids had no trouble with the gums you asked about.

Re breast milk supply - I found fenugreek very helpful, and mothers milk tea (which can be found in healthfood shops).  I think the most fenugreek I took was about 6 per day, but mostly I did fine with 4 per day.  Beer is also useful (but most isn't gluten free??? you would need to check that) - I drank it while feeding Hugh - that way it wasn't in my milk yet, and had the longest period for the alcohol to disappear.  Oats (ie porridge) is great for supply also, but you could try some cookies that have that in, like anzac biscuits? I make these for my kids, using a standard recipe, and simply substituting where required.
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline MLK

• Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2010, 09:16:44 am »
Vita Weat rice crackers - the BBQ flavour is dairy and soy free, not sure about the others though. I think the plain has soy in it.

Quinoa is also meant to be good for stimulating milk supply, and good for gluten free.