Author Topic: How much milk?  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« on: April 18, 2010, 15:59:00 pm »
Finn is 13 mths and on whole milk - with the exception of bedtime which is mostly whole milk with a couple of scoops of formula (we're just using up what we had already in the cupboard). 

He's taking his milk mainly from a bottle...we are trying with the sippy cup and having mixed results.  He's not really taking to it to be honest.  It's been a month or so of offering and still no real result.  Have another post going about that.

But I just wondered for those of you who are giving LO milk in a bottle, how many ounces is LO getting in a day and how many per meal?  Are you giving milk bottle after their meal?  He gets calcium in other sources I guess, cheese and yogurt but he doesn't drink much else in the way of water or other beverages (don't really offer juice often) so it's more a drink for him.

My goal is to have sippy exclusively by 15 mths but he just started daycare, he's been sick a lot already and been through a lot of change.  So I'm not really enforcing it at the moment.  I'm hoping more time at daycare and more offering on the weekends at home will just do the trick.
The tweaking never stops!

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 16:32:40 pm »
Well Finn won't be pushed on anything either really...he will just refuse to drink it and toss it aside.  So I am torn between leaving it in the bottle and hoping he'll just grow out of it or making a really good solid effort to offer and get him on a cup.  I guess at the end of the day he won't learn to use a cup unless he's offered a cup repeatedly - sippy cup, straw cup, whatever doesn't matter.

We are doing the same as you, putting after meals, a few ounces in his straw sippy, he seems to do better with that kind of cup. Then when he kicks up his fuss about wanting his bottle (which we know the clear signs of now), we just transfer it and give him the rest.  Daycare gives him the lunchtime bottle, we only send 5 oz but they top it up because he's not eating food.  She said to me the other day 'well it's only milk' which made me feel bad about saying to limit the amount.  I want to limit the amount because it fills him up and he isn't hungry.

He's also getting a D supplement in his bedtime bottle so hopefully that takes care of that.

scucci1979

Re: How much milk?
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 00:57:46 am »
I have been trying to get Madi to take her milk in a sippy cup for some time now. She will take a sip and spit the rest out.  I am not forcing her anymore. I think she will tell me when she is ready.  She is 17months and drinks a 6oz bottle in the morning and a 7oz bottle in the evening. 

She loves her water in a straw sippy cup so I may try milk instead.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 21:02:57 pm »
6oz in the am and 8oz before bed here - and he is draining them  ::).

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • So grown up already!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 21:35:13 pm »
Ben has about 6-6.5 oz in the am and the same before bed (still on formula...must get on that ::)).

He doesn't take it in a sippy cup though, he has it in a nuby half bottle/half straw thing (not great at descriptions lol)

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 01:13:57 am »
Steph I'm intrigued, could you post a link to what that half and half thing looks like lol?  I keep rotating cups with Finn, all different kinds and most he just slams on the floor until the milk dribbles out. 

He's very rough these days...with everything, including my face!

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • So grown up already!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 21:27:29 pm »
Sure -

http://www.amazon.com/Gripper-Cup-Soft-Silicone-Spout/dp/B0001NE9F8

It's these - colours are less jazzy in the UK though!!  Boring old blue and green here.  Ben hasn't managed to get them to leak yet (that's not to say that Finn wouldn't be able to though!).

XXX

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 11:18:37 am »
Henry has 8oz am and pm and drains them but he eats well unless he is teething so am fine with it. He has a sippy now and won't let me have anything to do with feeding him whether it is with a spoon/bottle or whatever - he has to do it by himself! I probably should cut it down a bit I think x

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 12:29:56 pm »
lol I have one of those cups already...did an inventory...it's actually staggering how many different cups we have acquired

Currently using it for water in his crib...but he's not using it much - might see how he likes taking milk out of it.

This reminds of me that Seinfeld episode where Elaine has to buy socks for Mr. Pitt and he doesn't like any of the socks she shows him lol  And she's like 'but it's just SOCKS!'

Offline nelliestar

• Showing Appreciation 7
  • Growing Up
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 19:25:12 pm »
Hi Wendy!

Bram has 7 ozs first thing and 6-7 ozs at bedtime.

Haven't offerred milk in a cup more than once. We bought a new red Nuby cup and put his morning milk in it a few months ago and he laughed, said "wow!" then held it and waited for his bottle....: )

He drinks water through the day from tommee tippee cups. We put handles on his Avent bottle once to see if he could get used to it...just held it until we took the handles off! Monkey!

We need to move to sippys for milk too...

Nell xxx
Bram Robert Reilly Con Fitzsimmons...Born 22/12/08
Angel/textbook....now with added spirit!
Our Happy Little Monkey xxxxx

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 20:50:32 pm »
Hi there Nell, yeah it's a long struggle here but DH is kind of taking it on as his personal mission lol  And to be honest, since daycare, he now takes a sippy much better AND has learned to tip it.  So we are getting there.  So the morning bottle is pretty much gone.  I think we are going to try weeding out the lunch bottle in the next few weeks and then we only have the bedtime bottle to contend with.  I am not rushing that one though, it's such a nice time at the end of the day.  I hope one day he will just say 'no more' and that will be that.

Offline nelliestar

• Showing Appreciation 7
  • Growing Up
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 08:15:13 am »
You sound on the right track to me!

I would love to get rid of the morning bottle but I suspect Bram wouldn't drink as much as 7 ozs from a sippy - I think the sucking is comforting when he's just woken up!

Good luck!

Nell xxx
Bram Robert Reilly Con Fitzsimmons...Born 22/12/08
Angel/textbook....now with added spirit!
Our Happy Little Monkey xxxxx