Author Topic: Solids routine question  (Read 911 times)

Offline karendbrooks

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • i love to read!
Solids routine question
« on: April 19, 2010, 18:53:56 pm »
Hi there!
My DS is just 6mos today, and we started introducing solids 5 days ago.  Right now he's eating approx 2 tbsp of solids (green beans to start, bananas as of tomorrow) at 8ish after his 7am bottle of 6oz or so. 

My question is, when do you switch your LO over to eating solids first?  Starting this thursday (in 3 days, I'm going to add his lunch time solids.  Should I go ahead and start this feed before the bottle?  So wake up at 10:45, solids at 11, bottle at 11:45 or so?  Or should I keep the bottle first and then solids?  Adding a new meal every week until we get to 3 meals.  So bfast last week, bfast and lunch this week, 3 meals next week.  I know that next week I am going to feed his solids after he wakes from the CN, and then his bottle at 7 like normal.  Just was wondering about those first 2 feeds.  I know the goal is to get them to eat more solids so that way later on down the road we wean the bottle, but when do we do that? 

Thanks so much!
karen

Karen
Mommy to miracle baby Ian.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Solids routine question
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 19:11:45 pm »
Milk needs to be their main source of nutrition until much closer to 1 year so milk feeds tend to be switched to after solids around 10ish months. For now I would keep the solids to about 1 hour after a milk feed - so as part of your A time to make sure they take their milk first and don't drop their intake too soon.

HTH!

Laura

Offline karendbrooks

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • i love to read!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 19:14:14 pm »
Thank you!  It's what I was thinking, but being sleep deprived, I needed another opinion!  :) 

Karen
Mommy to miracle baby Ian.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 19:17:17 pm »
Oh yes - I know how that goes!

Laura