Author Topic: certain solids are causing stomach aches  (Read 823 times)

Offline Jiinx

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 148
certain solids are causing stomach aches
« on: April 20, 2010, 18:43:16 pm »
Hi all!

My lo is great at picking up foods and feeding herself. However, I'm running into road blocks. I've noticed, an hour after I give her certain foods, she screams with pain. It's the throw-your-head-back kind of pain with huge tears and I can see her tonsils kind of pain. :(

It's not even complex foods - simple starters like mashed potatoes (this sends her screaming), squash (irritation), yams (irritation) and cheerios (stopped giving this to her) and bananas (I haven't revisted this for months as the reaction to this was horrendous).

Anyone else experience this? Does it get better? I'm going to offer her grains again at 12 months.

*Sarah*

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: certain solids are causing stomach aches
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 19:02:12 pm »
All those are starchy foods. Has she been on antibiotics? If she's got an overgrowth of yeast in her gut, the starches will convert to sugars, feed the yeast, and can result in gas and/or diarrhea and the tummy-aches that come with those.

Have you had a chance to try probiotics? Definitely give them a go! They help rebalance the gut flora and can help digestion as a result.

That's my first "gut" instinct! (pun intended! LOL)

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 19:05:05 pm »
lol deb

no antiobiotics. Prevacid though..what do you think? related? Probably not, huh?

She has probiotics everyday. ...since she was 3 months.

hmm..I was asking a fellow BW about gluten intolerance - but vegetables don't have gluten in it..:P
*Sarah*

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 19:54:32 pm »
Maybe go with other grains, like millet or spelt, or maybe barley? J reacts to oats like nobody's business now, although as a baby she could tolerate that but not rice.

Must give this some thought when I don't have music students due in 10 minutes.... but will try to get back here.... :)