Author Topic: Jogging with Toddler in Stroller; Do I have the wrong expectations?  (Read 3612 times)

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
My DD is 19 months old and textbook/spirited.  Last summer at 9 - 13 mo I took her out jogging with me at least 3 times a week.  She loved it!  This spring is a different story.  We've gone just a handful of times and she really hasn't been happy once.  She's teething eye teeth and not sleeping the best, so two times we've gone out she was pretty cranky and then fell asleep.  Not ideal, but I finished my runs in peace. 

Today, I brought her home early because she was quite whiny and asking to go home and swing for about 10-15 minutes (which starts to sound like her mantra, but louder, after a little while and the people in my neighborhood start to look at me funny).  However, when we get home, she really doesn't want to swing, just get out of the jogging stroller.

I'm sure part of it is because she's so much more active and able to communicate.  She pretty much starts asking to go home after about 10 min.  DH is often away for work, so I'm not able to go in the morning or evening then.  I can bring her to the child care at the workout center I go to, but would rather run outside than on the treadmill, especially in the nice weather.

In total, I'm out for about 45 min.  Is that too much to ask for a toddler?

Offline aimeeL

• Showing Appreciation 26
Re: Jogging with Toddler in Stroller; Do I have the wrong expectations?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 03:59:34 am »
I don't have any great answers for you, but wanted to post that I'm VERY impressed that you get out jogging that much and for that long!!  I wish had the discipline and motivation to do that!  Good for you!

I don't know if L would last 45 min in a stroller.. and she's a pretty good "sitter".  Does having a snack - or starting out the run with a snack in the stroller help?

Offline mum101

• Char
  • Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 04:25:42 am »
Give her a few more goes to get used to it.
I suggest going after she's had a good run around at home but not getting close to nap time (so more happy to sit but still happy) and feed her snacks or even her lunch in pieces while you run. She will get used to it,  unless for some reason it's really uncomfortable for her.  maybe go for a half hour when she doesn't fall asleep. Does she have some toys she likes to take?
mumma to 2 former BW babies, DD 11, DS 8

Offline 1sttimemamma

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 04:59:11 am »
My 2.5 yr old will sit for about an hour while I run. After almost every time he gets to get out and play at a park. When he whines, I just say "Mommy has to run first, then we go to the park". I give him a special snack that he loves for when he first gets in. I used to do Stroller Strides when he was younger and the instructor always used to remind us that we're only working out for an hour and it's "me" time. So the kids that were crying/fussing/screaming just sort of had to deal with it.

Offline katie80

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 18:08:39 pm »
I don't have any great answers for you, but wanted to post that I'm VERY impressed that you get out jogging that much and for that long!!  I wish had the discipline and motivation to do that!  Good for you!

Thanks, Aimee; it's my stress relief! 

I do give her a snack when she gets in and I guess the whining starts when it's gone.  She also has some toys, but none of them work for very long. 

the instructor always used to remind us that we're only working out for an hour and it's "me" time

Yep, this is how I feel.  During stretches when she's not napping the best and I'm home with her all day, I need to get out and go!

I'm going to keep working on it.  Thanks for chiming in, ladies!

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 18:21:24 pm »
I used to love running with dd1 in the stroller, but I stopped when I was pregnant with dd2 - and somehow haven't got around to running with 2! ;D  I think that it should be okay for your lo to sit in the stroller for 45 mins, but you do probably have to plan it to minimise the complaining.  Are you able to take her somewhere to play and then run home?  That way she will have had some fun first (and might even be a little tired); alternatively the suggestion of running to somewhere where she will get to play might mean that she will know that there is something good at the end of it.  I also agree that snacks are a good idea, and also some toys.

Very jealous that you can do this - I'm stuck with the treadmill now!

Offline mmom

• Showing Appreciation 96
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 20:54:45 pm »
I would keep at it too.  I go for hour long walks with my LO and he complains, but has gotten used to it.  He is 21 months.  I used to run with him too, but pregnancy has slowed me down.  Sometimes when he is really screaming, which believe it or not he has done for a while, I will stop at the park and let him play for a few.  It does break up my time, but I occasionally do it anyway to get him to relax.  But I also bring snacks and drinks and that keeps him occupied for a while.
Kara

scucci1979

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 00:16:12 am »
I love running with DD1 in the stroller. We used to do it first thing in the morning.  Now that spring is here, I am skeptical to try it again, as I am not sure how she will react. ATM she is resisting her stroller.  She is 17months now and am hoping she will somewhat enjoy the ride. I was planning to give her some cheerios to keep her distracted.

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 00:46:29 am »
I don't run...I am not an outdoors or a very energetic person. It's a wonder I don't weigh a whole ton. In any event, I'd love to have one of you other mommies come job with my DD in the stroller as she is in a phase recently where she BEGS to go out and take a walk...in the stroller. No idea why as I was never a walker and she wasn't in one too often. Maybe it's a novelty for her??? Who knows.

In any event, I think your LO should be able to get used to it....I like the idea of stopping somewhere for him afterward. If it's a park you can let him walk while you cool down and maybe stretch, you know? Or have lunch. That way there's a reward at the end of it, you know?

Offline Nauvoo

• Showing Appreciation 43
    • Concrete Picture Frames
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 17:38:01 pm »
my dd has always been awful in the stroller unless I'm running but I find it has to be before the 3hr A time mark or she'll fall asleep even though her usual A time is 5.5hrs.  I'd also stick with is few more times.  I know snacks work for us here but only for so long.  Also toys work to keep her occupied like books or keys or she loves leaves so I pick them up as we go.
Great job on running!
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

[url=http://concretepicture.wordpress.com]Concrete Picture
Frames[

Offline katie80

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 20:42:30 pm »
I find it has to be before the 3hr A time mark or she'll fall asleep even though her usual A time is 5.5hrs.

Interesting, nauvoo.  I think this is really part of my problem, but I can't quite get out that early as it's still a little chilly in the mornings.

In any event, I'd love to have one of you other mommies come job with my DD in the stroller as she is in a phase recently where she BEGS to go out and take a walk...in the stroller.

Bring her on over, Nicole!   ;)

I would keep at it too.  I go for hour long walks with my LO and he complains, but has gotten used to it. 

Would love to get to an hour!

Thanks again for all the encouragement and tips ladies.  We need to take advantage of the nice weather around here, and I think she can definitely get used to it.