Author Topic: could this be a milk/dairy intolerance?  (Read 1203 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
could this be a milk/dairy intolerance?
« on: May 01, 2010, 11:40:08 am »
Hi,
Don't know much at all about this but just wanted to check a few things out with you ladies.
DS is 18 months and seems to always have a runny nose. I think it could be teeth as we did have a brief gap around Dec time for 2 months when he did not but since mid Feb he has had a constant runny nose and on/off cough. It is starting to really get to me now and I am worrying it could be something else. What are the symptoms of milk/dairy intolerance?
Thanks
bx

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: could this be a milk/dairy intolerance?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 13:44:50 pm »
I'm sure all kids are different, but for Spencer she gets red cheeks & chin, runny nose and congested/wheezy sort of breathing. She tests negative for it, but due to her reactions our allergist wants her off of it until we can do a challenge in his office. Hopefully she will outgrow it soon though.
Heidi

scarlettsmom

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 16:05:03 pm »
Hi there,

Is the runny nose the only issue?  My DD2 gets a clear runny nose when she is exposed to an allergen, however it is always accompanied by runny, mucousy stools, rashes, etc. 

There can be many different symptoms - ranging from runny noses, to hives/rashes/excema, constipation or loose stools, muscousy stools, blood in stool, to name a few.

Honestly if it's *just* a runny nose I would not think food allergy - perhaps an environmental issue, or something else.

((hugs)) - hope it's nothing, but maybe put a call into your dr for peace of mind.

HTH!   :-*
-Tari

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 18:49:17 pm »
My DS had a constantly runny nose  (and I mean for MONTHS!) - after cutting out cows milk he hasn't had a "cold" since.  Fortunately, he seems to be okay with any dairy as long as it is not cold cows milk.  I mentioned it a few times to my health visitor and she just dismissed it.  It was only when DS had ear infections (which can be triggered by cows milk in certain people) and was only breastfed for a week (with solids, but as was having so much milk from me I avoided cows milk) that his nose cleared up.  When he was better and had a drink of cows milk with his dinner he woke the next morning with a runny nose again (in his case, whiteish thick secretions).  The dietician (who I got our doctor to refer us to) said that the way they test is by looking at symptoms,etc and not an actual test - we keep a food diary which helps us look at food issues.

Obviously if you are cutting out cows milk get some advice on calcium sources, etc.  We use rice milk as soya seems to upset DS too. 
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 19:27:59 pm »
If he still has it once these teeth are through I am def talking to m doctor again. xxx

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 19:30:16 pm »
I find that teething noses tend to be clear fluid, whereas the milk-related ones are whiter!! Try keeping a food diary and see if you can find any patterns.  I also record his bowel movements too (he has lots of food problems!) and it is really useful.  Good luck with the doctor - some doctors are great, others aren't!!
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!