Author Topic: help to make the most of coming allergist appointment  (Read 2257 times)

Offline ~S~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
help to make the most of coming allergist appointment
« on: April 11, 2010, 10:55:50 am »
Hi all,

It's been a long time since I've been over here on this board, but I know this is the place to come for some good advice.

We have been trying to figure out for sure what my dd is allergic to or reacts to since she was about 9 mos old.  Corn seems to be the big culprit but also ascorbic and citric acid.  Our family doctor hadn't wanted to send her to an allergist until now she is 4.5 yrs.  We went week before last to the allergist, but when they did the test scratch she barely had a reaction.  she had been on a cough medicine the a week or so before, this could still be in her system and cause there to be false negatives.  So we go back this coming week for the scratch tests.

Here is my question.  From what I've read in the past, if they haven't had any of the culprit food for a while they may not react to the test.  Should I give her some sort of corn before the test?  I know in the past she has gotten baking powder (has corn starch) and had minimal reaction, so I wouldn't be afraid to make some muffins and use actual backing powder (instead of making my own w/out corn starch )or something and give that to her, there would only be a tiny bit, but would that be enough to make sure she reacts if it is an allergy?  Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
~S~

lo1 3/99
lo2 9/05

scarlettsmom

Re: help to make the most of coming allergist appointment
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 17:57:05 pm »
Hi there.

Gosh, really not sure how to proceed with that since we always did skin patch testing, not scratch test.  Hopefully some of the other experienced mamas can jump on and give you some feedback.  Can you call your dr and ask?  That may alleviate some uncomfortableness for you DD.

Also wanted to send (((((hugs))))).  If you are in the US corn is especially a difficult allergy to have.  It's in EVERYTHING.  DD2 had one, but thankfully appears to be growing out of it.  It's a toughy.

:-*

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 18:27:49 pm »
My ds recently had scratch testing done.  We had some suspect foods (milk, egg yolk, egg white, mustard, orange/citrus), dust mite (ds has eczema and the allergist said that dust mite was a common cause), and since we were going through the process we figured that we'd do peanut while we were there.

Ds reacted to the milk, egg white, mustard, and had the strongest reaction to the peanut.  He's been exposed to milk, egg white, and mustard (with reactions ranging from hives to lip swelling) but had NEVER been exposed to peanut.  Never eaten it.  Daycare is peanut free.  I am not a peanut lover and rarely eat peanut butter (though I do once in a while, and am breastfeeding).  He also had blood tests done (the allergist explained that because of his eczema he may react strongly on the scratch test without a clinically significant allergy) and had a result of 12.8 to peanut (with a result of 0.35 being considered significant).  So, despite never having ingested any peanut protein, he reacted strongly on both the scratch and blood tests.  I would be more likely to consider the cough medicine the culprit to the negative results.

Don't know if that's helpful at all, but hope that it is :)  And (((hugs))) for you and your dd - having to go through allergy tests a second time is so unfair :(  I hope that things go smoothly for you :-* :-*
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 19:08:00 pm »
Spencer just went for scratch tests for egg and milk...both of which she hadn't had for months and they came up negative as did the blood tests.  The allergist we saw though, did consider that if I had eaten or taken a med while pg or bf that she had been exposed. The control scratch made only a small hive, but enough that they considered that the test was good. They advise no antihistamines for 5-7 days before the test.

I did an at home food challenge with eggs (1 egg baked in cookies, she had 1/4 of a cookie) and she got what looked like a blotchy sunburn that only went away with benadryl.  So, obviously it affects her to a degree even though the tests say it shouldn't.

Heidi

Offline ~S~

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 02:39:37 am »
Sorry, I may have not been clear.  The only test they did was the control test, and the reaction was so minimal that the doctor didn't feel that further testing would be reliable.  Also I am not sure that it is called a scratch test, they put liquid on her arm then barely pricked it and waited to see if it made a welp? 

We are in the U.S. and the corn thing was a true nightmare at first.  It has been at least 3 yrs now and we have a decent grasp on it now and our families and friends are learning.  For a good while I didn't know all the things that actually are made of corn (the preservatives and such) so I thought she was reacting to other things as well.  So we have done gluten free and dairy free, they were both much easier than staying away from corn.  At least there are things labeled gluten free or dairy free.  Finally I figured out that it was hidden corn that she was reacting to.  The main reason that we are having her tested is for professionals, like the dentist and doctors.  I am hoping they will give us some direction as to medications, etc.  She reacted after the floride treatment at the dentist, and after vaccines at the doctor and to the cough medicine.  Fortunately she has been very healthy and this is the first medicine she was prescribed, but it caused a reaction even though I told them no corn, the pharmasist doesn't know what all is made from corn and I couldn't get a list of ingredients.

The good thing about it all is that I think one of the reasons that she is so healthy is that she can't have junk food, not even the grandparents can give her junk like they do my oldest lo.  She has never been on antibiotics, her teeth are so great the dentist asked me what I did, I told him she can't have corn syrup and I brush them with baking soda/salt b/c the toothpaste is a possible problem.  So in the long run corn is probably one of the better allergies to have b/c it isn't necessaryto eat for health and it is pretty evil in some forms (corn syrup).  It is just really hard to not get slipped some.

Ahhh, thanks for letting me rant.  I hope we get some clear answers but I'm not holding my breath.
~S~

lo1 3/99
lo2 9/05

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 02:46:25 am »
Oh, I didn't realize that she didn't even react to the control, sorry. I haven't heard of that before. The test you describe is what they did with Dylan - drops of the allergen and then pricking with a lancet.

Sorry I can't be of any help. Will be crossing my fingers for some answers for you :-*

Offline ~S~

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 22:17:37 pm »
Well, she had the scratch tests.  Poor thing, but she was a real trooper.  The test spot was really tiny again, a few tiny welts showed but quickly went down, so they sent her for blood test.  When I told her that they were going to take blood to test she said "Their going to take my blood!?! Don't I need that to breath?!"  We go back in three weeks to find out the results, but I figure it is sensitivities and not allergies.
~S~

lo1 3/99
lo2 9/05

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 01:14:23 am »
(((hugs))) for you and your dd - poor thing :'( 

scarlettsmom

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 19:17:42 pm »
Aw, poor thing.  Big (((hugs)))).  Thanks for keeping us updated.  That's great about all the positive side effects of steering clear of the corn though!  I remember my DD2 at the ER for a very very high fever when she was about 9 months old and they were talking about possibly giving her an IV and I told them they couldn't use what they normally do because it had corn in it.  They thought I was crazy - but it was true.  That's interesting about the fluoride treatment. 
btw - I thought ascorbic acid was a corn derivative? 

Let us know what the blood test yields. 

:-* :-*

Offline ~S~

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 20:33:45 pm »
Yes I think that ascorbic acid is derived from corn, but I guess it is so processed that they don't think you can be allergic to it.  I know my lo does react to it.  I actually don't think my lo has ever had corn in it's natural state.  She was to small when I noticed her reactions, so she had only had it in processed states.  I am considering (if the blood test comes back negative) giving her corn off of the cob.  Maybe it is the processing that has caused her problems all of this time.  Who knows.
~S~

lo1 3/99
lo2 9/05

scarlettsmom

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 23:49:11 pm »
  I am considering (if the blood test comes back negative) giving her corn off of the cob.  Maybe it is the processing that has caused her problems all of this time.  Who knows.

That's not a bad idea.  On a food allergies board I used to belong to several children were fine with regular corn, or popped corn, but nothing processed/syrup etc. 

I can't remember, but have you checked out kidswithfoodallergies.com ?  They have an extremely knowledgeable group re: corn allergies.  It's in the support section I believe.

Offline ~S~

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 02:46:43 am »
No I haven't seen that website, thank you.
~S~

lo1 3/99
lo2 9/05