Author Topic: painful gas waking up baby at night  (Read 15516 times)

LucysMommy

painful gas waking up baby at night
« on: May 14, 2010, 16:30:26 pm »
Hello,

I have a 9 month old daughter who has been waking up with bad gas the last few nights.  She has always had problems with this since starting solids but lately it has been getting worse and causing long periods of crying in the night.  She recently tried egg yolk and mango, are these 'gassy' foods?
When she wakes it is with a very urgent 'pain' cry, arching her back and pounding her feet down into the mattress.  We rub her tummy and try to bicycle her legs until the wind passes.  She is back asleep again almost instantly after it passes (that is why I am certain the NW is due to gas). However sometimes this takes a long time to happen and no one else can sleep with the 'pain' screaming.   I guess during the night as she is still it is building up whereas during the day it can make it's way out with her movement.  We have a dr. appt. for next week to check it out. 

Any tips or recommendations for before bed, or in general?  We have tried giving gripe water but it doesn't seem to work very well.  She does not usually wake at night, except once to bf.

Thanks!

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 13:01:49 pm »
Hi there, it does sound like some intolerance.  I have no experience with the egg yolk and mango but you could post on the food allergy boards and I bet some mums there will have some good advice for you.  Has she ever showed signs of reflux?
The tweaking never stops!

LucysMommy

Re: painful gas waking up baby at night
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 22:34:27 pm »
She was always very fussy when nursing as a newborn.  Since she was my first baby, I just thought this was 'normal' as she and I were both getting used to breastfeeding.  She always nursed more frequently than BW recommended but got to 3 hrs between feeds by about 4 months.  Since about 4 months she has been fine.  Now that I have seen other babies and thinking back on her fussiness, I think she was colicky and maybe had reflux.  I will definitely ask my doctor about that tomorrow.

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 15:20:21 pm »
Hi there, have a look here too so you can ask your doc:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=654.0

It does sound like something digestive is going on then.
The tweaking never stops!

Offline frano

• Showing Appreciation 18
  • Oh look .....shoes!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 15:50:27 pm »
My dd had a lactose intolerence and had terrible 'wind' problems, babyrice also caused her alot of problems. I'd agree that it sounds like a digestive problem tho

Offline gogomama

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 06:23:08 am »
Hi there,

I just seen this post and my DS has always had really bad gas in the nite too. He didn't respond well to gripewater but he does seem to feel relief with this thing called BabyFen. Its essentially the same idea gving a few drops after feedings or when feeling gassy. I keep it by my bed at night and when he wakes up with a lot of pain will give him a little and it comes out right away.  Hope that helps!

Offline locura

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 07:54:45 am »
Hi,

Our DS (now 10 mths) had a lot of gas since birth. It got better around 3-4 mths and worse when we started solids. It never bothered her during the day, but woke her up in the nights a lot! It has gotten a lot better when we stay (completely) away from milk and anything with milk in it, both my DS and myself (due to BF). She seldom wakes up in the night due to gas pain anymore.

Hope you can find the reason why your LOs having gaspain soon! Itīs a pain with NW due to gas, both for the LO and the parents!

Offline locura

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 08:41:00 am »
(of course i meant our DD, not DS .. :) )