Author Topic: Baby vomitted after trying Isomil formula  (Read 3787 times)

Offline aylien

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Baby vomitted after trying Isomil formula
« on: May 14, 2010, 19:05:35 pm »
I am trying to supplement with non-dairy formula.  My baby (9 months) has been exclusively breastfed but I am back at work and pumping isn't keeping up with her needs (can only pump 7-8 ounces a day).  She is allergic to milk, so we tried Isomil formula (Similac brand), but within 2 hours of drinking it she threw up violently, and a LOT.  Doctor says to try again using a diluted solution, but now I can't get her to drink it. 

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with formula intolerance/rejection?  Any suggestions?

scarlettsmom

Re: Baby vomitted after trying Isomil formula
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 02:39:44 am »
Hi,
I'm not familiar w/Isomil formula.  Is it hypoallergenic?

I would not give that to your LO again, at all - diluted or not.  If your baby is allergic, or reacting to anything in that formula, diluting will do very little.

If she has a milk allergy I assume you have cut out milk from your diet?  Any formula you supplement with should be hypoallergenic (like alimentum, or nutramigen) and if there is a reaction to that (which there can be) then an even more broken down formula like Neocate or Elecare.

Hope your LO feels better soon.   :-* :-*

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 03:17:43 am »
Isomil is a soy based formula Tari...it is what Spencer used to use before we switched to soy milk. It is not hypoallergenic as far as I know.

Could your LO have a problem with soy as well? We don't,but I know it is fairly common for LO's to have problems with both milk and soy. I would not try to feed it to her again either. Hope she is feeling better  :)
Heidi

scarlettsmom

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 12:42:04 pm »
Ah, thanks Heidi!

Yes, as Heidi said, it could be that your LO has an issue with soy as well.  It certainly sounds like it, and it's pretty common for milk allergy bubs to have an intolerance/allergy to soy (my did - and she has since outgrown it)  See if you can get a hypoallergenic formula.  can you talk to a ped allergist? - they would know right away that is an adverse reaction and shouldn't be tried again for a very long time.

xoxo

Offline Rachel_Momto3boys

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 23:50:20 pm »
I would definitely try talking to the doctor again (or go see a Ped GI or allergist if you aren't already), more than half the babies with a MSPI are also allergic to soy.  It sounds like your LO is not tolerating soy either. 

Let us know what you do and how your LO is doing!

Rachel
Mom to 2 boys
Augustboy02 - Sensational Sensory Kid!
Decemberboy04 - former reflux baby
Expecting boy #3!  July2010

Rachel
Mom to 3 boys
Augustboy02 - Sensational Sensory Kid
Decemberboy04 - former reflux baby
Augustboy10 - MSPI Baby - EBF w/elimination diet