Author Topic: help 2 week old always in pain! reflux or milk allergy please  (Read 1681 times)

Offline lozzyb123

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
hiya my 17 day old baby is always in pain she seems to bring her legs up to her chest and cry ! but she passes wind lots and burps she gunts and will not sleep at nite is very unsettled she is bottle fed and curently on sma lf lactose free milk witch hasent made a diffrence. she is in constant paint she figdets alot and drinks 3-4 oz evry 3 hrs wat kid of sechedual  she they kind off be on at this age or around this age? i have a 17 month old and find it so much hard work now as baby is crying in pain all the time at night as i have no sleep i get so tired should i try a milk and soya free milk or a thicker  mmilk for the reflux i am so upset i don,t kno what to do next

thank you laura x

scarlettsmom

Re: help 2 week old always in pain! reflux or milk allergy please
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 18:06:56 pm »
Hi Laura,

Big big ((((hugs)))). 

Are you seeing any other symptoms?  Like rashes, mucousy stool, diarrhea, specks of blood in the stool? 

It is very early, but this can be around the time that a milk allergy would start to appear.  However, if there are no other symptoms it could indeed be reflux (we have a board dedicated to that, check it out http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?board=13.0 if it seems that there are no other symptoms and it's pointing to reflux.

I know you must be just completely exhausted and both you and LO need some rest.  We will help you figure it out.  Have you called your ped?   It would be a good idea to get an appointment since LO seems to be in so much pain. 

Hang in there.   :-* :-*

Offline Rachel_Momto3boys

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 21:06:05 pm »
Hi Laura,
I agree with the previous poster that you should check with your doctor.  Extreme fussiness and excessive gas are common sypmtoms of a milk protien intolerance, so your LO could be reacting to the formula.  You may need a more specialized formula such a hydrolysate formula (which means that the milk protiens are only partially broken down) or an amino-acid based formula (where the protiens are completely broken down to free amino acids making it easy to digest).
Also, if you do switch formulas it may take up to two weeks for your LO to get rid of the other formula completely, so you should give the switch a fair try.
Is your LO showing any signs of reflux?  I hope it gets better for you soon.

Rachel
Mom to 2 boys
Augustboy02 - Sensational Sensory Kid
Decemberboy04 - former reflux baby
Rachel
Mom to 3 boys
Augustboy02 - Sensational Sensory Kid
Decemberboy04 - former reflux baby
Augustboy10 - MSPI Baby - EBF w/elimination diet

scarlettsmom

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 13:13:07 pm »
Hi Laura,

Just checking in to see how you and your LO are doing? 

Hope you are both doing well and getting some much need rest!

Offline becky1969

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 230
  • my favorite thing
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 17:01:19 pm »
It's possible that it's both, too! We certainly had that problem.  PPs have great advice.  You can do some non-medical treatments for the reflux (like elevating crib, making sure 30 minutes upright after feeding, etc.) to see if that changes the crying/fussiness dynamic at all.

Much luck to you.  Both of these issues are so challenging in an infant.  :-*
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Enjoying the toddler years!