Author Topic: Extended nursing thread part 3  (Read 58898 times)

Offline shivi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
Re: Extended nursing thread part 3
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2010, 10:20:30 am »
after a year I think the average weight gain for a whole year is 1.5kg....Oscar always gained in spurts and then nothing in the meantime.

Emma's weight is more gradually growing but she is a fantastic eater and always has a great appetite.....she is now around 12.5kg and was 11.5 at her 1 yr check up.

S x

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2010, 10:22:18 am »
DS has been this weight since about 8MO. He has dropped two lines on his chart but no one is worried and he was a real chunk.

Offline Yazzie

• Showing Appreciation 63
  • Mummy's angel
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2010, 12:13:23 pm »
Same here abt the weight, ds actually put on only 1 kg from 9-12 months, but the pedi really assured me, saying that some lo(s) may even lose some weight @ this age.
Adam's Mum

Offline SylvieA

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2010, 13:24:50 pm »
Zoe was the same for weight. She only gained 1lbs between 10(18lbs)-17months(19lbs). She's now at 23lbs@22 months. I really think it has to do with them getting busier, and losing the baby fat. The Dr was not concerned because she was happy and healthy looking.
Miguel-November 2005
Zoe-August 2008

Offline anielasmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
  • my gorgeous girl!
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2010, 00:44:26 am »
hi guys! DD is only 9 m/o but i plan to nurse her until she weans herself (hoping around 3 y/o)
Kami

Offline shivi

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2010, 07:01:14 am »
hey I wanted to pop in and say goodbye!!!!

Emma has been self-weaning since around 16 mths and by 17 mths we were down to one kind of dream feed as she was refusing the breast even at bedtime so I was waiting for her to fall asleep and then picking her up and having her latch on in her sleep, just to get to 18 mths LOL!

So I finally fed her the last toddler dream feed on Friday 9th July so at exactly 18mths old!

Since then we haven't looked back, she is loving full fat cows milk and now that I haven't been limiting it at bedtime she's even happier!

And we've had a major language growth spurt in English since we've been in Ireland :-))))

Love to you all

Siobhain xxx

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Yazzie

• Showing Appreciation 63
  • Mummy's angel
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2010, 07:14:52 am »
Biiiiiiiiiig applause for making it to the 18 months Shivi :-*
Adam's Mum

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2010, 22:19:00 pm »
Hi guys, DS is only 7mo but I also plan to BF until he self weans hopefully around 2yrs but I'll be happy if we get past 1yo and I never have to use formula.
A few people (who have never BF'ed) have already asked me why I am still BFing after 6mo when the government in the UK recommend EBF until 6mo. I have to point out that is just EXCLUSIVELY (i.e. no other food and drink until after that) then it is recommended until 2yo or beyond along side other food and drink. Someone today talked to me as if she just assumed I was trying to wean him off BM and was surprised when I said I wasn't. Why should I use an artificial copy of BM when I can produce it myself (for free!)?
I respect others' personal decisions and wouldn't want to offend anyone how wants to or has to use formula but I think it is such a shame that the norm in our cultures has become to chose to feed babies formula rather than BF. BFing past a certain age has become taboo when it is the most natural thing in the world in my eyes.
Glad you ladies support entended BFing as well.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline anielasmommy

• my gorgeous girl!
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2010, 10:53:32 am »
it is the most natural thing! i personally will never give DD cows milk...b/c thats interspecies breast milk...its just too weird for me. so i plan to BF her as long as she needs to and then she wont need any other milk (although we drink a variation of coconut milk) but the point is all species need milk until x amount of time and you're baby knows what time their body physically needs your milk until. modern day society for some reason feels babies should never have it or only need it 3 months or 6.

i read an article that said in the 1920's in the US babies were EBF until 2 y/o and they weaned at 4-6years old. that was the norm not so long ago...
Kami

Offline SylvieA

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2010, 11:37:15 am »
That's really great that you so believe in breastfeeding. It is the most natural thing. Why else do we have breasts? I wish I would of had the support and knowledge to extend bf my first child(DS). I had started weaning way to early, then to realize I wasn't ready, and had learned all the benefits of bf, so still pumped and continued till 8mo. But, DD is almost 2yrs and still going. I thought she was weaning at one point but she started asking more again. Now I love to educate people that asks why and if I'm still breastfeeding, but most of my family don't say much anymore.

The thing about BF in the earlier days, is there was not much formula to give and it was by prescription only. It should still be that way and women should not be given a choice in hospitals, and should be given loads to read prior to having a baby. I know of some that don't bf so they can come and go as they please, kind of selfish in a way, but I know it's their choice and if it's an educated one, it's fine. But when I decided to have children, I knew my life would change and that sacrifices would have to me made and I loved every minute and I don't feel like I'm missing out because I couldn't come and go as I pleased.

anielasmommy, interesting that you don't use cow's milk. We don't use a lot here, but it's in our culture to have it. I use it a lot for cooking, and we eat loads of cheese. We do organic though as I'm afraid of all that's given to cows. My kids aren't really into drinking milk, but they'll have it in cereal and a cup before bed. I was really afraid they weren't getting enough until my Dr pointed out that cow's milk is for cows and that we don't really need it if we have a varied diet. I don't drink it myself and never really did, even as a child and I'm healthy and not missing anything.

Anyways, keep it up. You're all doing really good for your LOs the natural way  ;D

And Shivi, way to go, you did great and lucky that both your LO self weaned. And you have more than 2.5yrs of accumulated BF  ;D
Miguel-November 2005
Zoe-August 2008

Offline shivi

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2010, 19:50:59 pm »
thanks Sylvie! 2 mths short of 3 yrs!!! She just wasn't interested anymore ....

Mine love milk. So do I. We also buy organic. I am Irish, we Irish love our cows and their milk....

I honestly honestly think it would have been impossible for me with either of mine to have gotten to any way close to 2 yrs and I think this is due to personality and feeding "method". As I never fed "on demand" but always had Tracy's routine in mind I never allowed either of mine to use the breast for soothing only early on and then they never looked for it when older....

But my kids love milk.....xxx

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2010, 20:23:31 pm »
I never really thought about not drinking cows milk but when you put it like that it does sound rather weird. I love milk though and all dairy products. Is it that different to eating meat and eggs etc. do you think?

Offline anielasmommy

• my gorgeous girl!
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2010, 23:38:43 pm »
i eat meat and eggs which i think is fine. i am an omnivore i just chose not to drink another animals BM. i think cows milk is for cows period. not to mention how they get the milk...i've done some research and i just don't agree with it at all..i mean idk i just dont support it and kids nor adults NEED cows milk so i just choose not to have it.
i think at least healthwise fermented milk (cheese and yogurt) is at least better for you..but i still dont use any of those things. i mean if DD wants to eat cheese someday i will let her...

anyways i am afraid of not comfort nursing b/c i dont want her to wean early so i try to feed every 4 hours but im not too strict with it. she eats at 3hrs sometimes and that is ok with me. especially with SA going on. she loves to nurse. i just feel its more than about food.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 02:06:42 am by Vikki ~ Dylan's mommy »
Kami

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2010, 20:55:33 pm »
Having seen some of your stories about self weaning I am also afraid if I cut the comfort feeds (we have one NW after 9-10hrs of night sleep before he goes back to sleep for another 2hrs ish). I was looking to cut this but hate the thought of him no longer needing it ITMS? Anyway cutting it was meaning he was awake for 2hrs from 5 or 6am which I am not happy with. Not when I know he will be back asleep within 10mins if I feed. If he sleeps through it I will happily not feed but while he is waking I think I will just let him have it.

Offline A pair of Charlies

• Showing Appreciation 192
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2010, 21:50:40 pm »
Hi all

Sorry to butt in here. I think it's best all around if we keep the discussion to extended nursing rather than the alleged evils of the dairy industry. There are many many Mamas (including me) who could be offended by these comments and would wish to clarify the facts here; and that would only lead to more discussion and lead us further off topic.

So, extended nursing! Well done to all!

I BF for 2 years. I didn't comfort feed from a few months old and never had any issues with early weaning. I think when they wean is down to a number of reasons, particularly their personality. Comfort nursing, IMO, is giving them a prop which at some point you'll want to undo. There were occasions where it helped me - a hysterical NW here and there. My DS would have nursed much longer if it had been his choice: I've no doubt he'd be nursing now if I didn't get dressed quickly in the morning!

Happy nursing ladies  :)