Author Topic: How much TV?  (Read 8150 times)

Offline MLK

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2010, 04:46:15 am »
I think she has food control issues! Hope I don't have to see her today at school...

lilac83

Re: How much TV?
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2010, 01:55:33 am »
Up until about 3-4 months ago, Charla wasn't allowed to watch much TV. Maybe 1-2 hours per week, if that. I've relaxed a bit though and now she usually watches about 45min to 1hr in the morning and maybe another 30min in the afternoon, but not always. She probably averages about 7-8 hours per week. She asks to watch more. There's a princess barbie movie that she loves, she loves Dora, The Wonder Pets, Go Diego Go but I just say the TV needs to stay off and so far she's been fine with that. She's a kid that could sit and watch for a couple hours in a row. In fact, I think DH and I are going to take her to Toy Story 3 in the theater when it comes out! I just don't see the point of her needing to be sitting there for so long. I'm not much of a TV watcher so I would rather take her outside, downstairs, shopping or whatever else than have the TV on.

Once she's older I will relax a bit more and she can more or less decide when she watches TV. I just hope by that time I've taught her that there is much more to do in life than sit in front of shows. TV was never restricted when I was growing up. My brother was more of a watcher than I was but certainly not over the top. Ironically, he has ADD. However, I read awhile back that in order for a child to have ADD one of the parents must have it. There's a strong genetic connection, no?

Lan, why would she care how much cake your kid ate? If she didn't want her kid to have a second piece then fine, but to take offense that your child wanted another, that's just odd! You would think she'd want the other kids to finish the cake off so it was out of her house!

Offline MLK

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2010, 06:19:58 am »
I made a joke she was controlling the cake so she coud ltake it home and finish it herself... oops!

I don't think unlimited TV is a good thing,  i think it prevents kids from learning to use their imaginations  and entertain themselves. BUT I am sceptical that it causes ADHD. If toddlers/kids spend most of the day doing other stuff, I think TV is OK in limited amounts.

Offline LizzieN

• Showing Appreciation 143
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2010, 10:54:52 am »
Lan, I just read the part of your post about the birthday cake to DH and he said "well that's one less she has to invite to her son's party"......

xxLizzie

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline MLK

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2010, 13:19:49 pm »
LOL, whenever DS1 is upset with someone he turns around and says -"You're not coming to my birthday party!" Big tension reliever for him!

I saw the mother again at school last week and she was sweet as pie - must have known I was boiling mad!

Offline nelliestar

• Showing Appreciation 7
  • Growing Up
Re: How much TV?
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2010, 21:04:01 pm »
This is a great thread! Thanks for starting it!

I feel EXTREMELY guilty about ANY TV DS watches. He is like Stan and a few others and is hypnotised by it at times!

The reason the guilt is major with me is that I work in a Rudolf Steiner School/Nursery (google it for an idea) and the emphasis is on a natural childhood, non-plastic toys and no noisy toys. Toys that are fairly unformed to encourage imagination and child-led play - we don't direct the children and we let them just get on and play and don't keep butting in. And as for TV - I quote "There is absolutely NO place for TV in the life of a young child (under 7) "
EEEEkkk! I work in this environment every day and it is a lovely place to work - we knit while we watch the children and make bread and all is calm and low key. But the TV business has me torn. Bram watches about 30 mins am and 45 mins evening on Nursery days and more on days at home.

This issue causes me a lot of grief...i should chill out but for 6 years I have had it drummed into me in the Steiner environment.

Nell xxxx
Bram Robert Reilly Con Fitzsimmons...Born 22/12/08
Angel/textbook....now with added spirit!
Our Happy Little Monkey xxxxx