Author Topic: 8 month old loves breakfast, but won't eat lunch or dinner  (Read 1472 times)

Offline joshuanathan

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
can somebody please help me? my nearly 8 month old is a lovely wee chap, happy and not underweight, in fact, nicely covered. He drinks every last drop of his bottle feeds and goes down to sleep at 7pm and wakes at 5:45am.

firstly, what sort of eating routine should he be on for solids? He does not want to eat his lunch or dinner really at all. its a constant battle, might take 2 teaspoons if that then flatly refuses to take anymore. i can account for him not wanting lunch and dinner due to a little tiredness, he is a 45 minute napper which i am trying to address. He is still on purees (thick and thin), have tried to slowly introduce a few chunks, but he has no teeth yet and so signs of them.

currently I have him on this:

EAT: 6am bottle feed
EAT: 10AM bottle feed followed immediately by either oats, mixed with fruit or joghurt mixed with fruit. varies greatly in amount, he loves breakfast
EAT: 2PM bottle feed followed immediately by either veggies and meat or just veggies
EAT: 6PM bottle feed followed immediately by veggies and meat or veggies and fruit

I have tried doing the solids before bottle feed about half an hour before, but he won't have it. i also feel that milk is still the main priority here at this age. please can somebody help me here?
thanks,

lee

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: 8 month old loves breakfast, but won't eat lunch or dinner
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 19:24:13 pm »
This link may help with timings
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=68458.0

I would suggest offering the bottle then waiting about an hour to offer solids, allowing him to make room in his belly for them.  For breakfast he is probably still hungry from overnight, so he has his bottle and still has room for solids.

Also, at this age, it's still about introducing foods and not so much about quantity.  When he has his 2 bites and is done, be done with the meal and move on.

HTH

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Seona1973

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 19:31:01 pm »
I would probably re-jig the timings for milk and solids e.g.

6am - bottle
7/8am - breakfast
10am - bottle
12pm - lunch
2pm - bottle
4.30/5pm - dinner
6.30/7pm - bottle

Offline joshuanathan

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 15:50:31 pm »
thanks ladies, appreciate the advice, for the feedback from seona, when would i put my little guy to sleep then? sorry, but i am also trying to get his naps on track, i feel like i am in a dark tunnel with no light sometimes...

Offline joshuanathan

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 15:56:14 pm »
sorry, not to worry, i had a look at the timings sent to me by rachel, i see it now... so 2 teaspoons is enough? at breakfast, he eats like 3 tablespoons, i just keep offering until he indicates he is full, but with lunch and dinner sometimes he won't even open his mouth

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 19:06:50 pm »
Yes, at this age, I wouldn't worry about quantity.  You may see some changes if you switch up the timings of bottles and solids.

How many ounces is he taking in 24 hours?

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months