Author Topic: eating before sleep  (Read 999 times)

Offline pinzer78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
eating before sleep
« on: May 25, 2010, 01:58:59 am »
Can eating solids too soon before bed cause tummy aches you think?  If my lo finishes dinner at 5.15 and sleeping an hour later...is that ok or should i give him dinner earlier?

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
Re: eating before sleep
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 02:33:34 am »
Unfortunately, I think it depends on your lo and the meal!  How old is he?  Have you noticed sleep troubles with supper so close to bedtime?

I often give Dylan a snack about 30-60m before bedtime - usually something simple like banana/other fruit and a couple of graham crackers/arrowroot cookies - and then bf him right before bed.  It doesn't seem to hurt his sleeping at all...  If anything, he's settled more easily at bedtime since I started giving him the snack.  I think the only thing you can do is really pay attention, maybe even keep a log:
- what time dinner was, and what it was
- any nws or problems settling
and see if there's any patterns?  If you notice that certain foods cause disturbances, you can simply cut them out (rice, for example, used to really give Dylan tummy troubles).  If you're finding that the late meal in general is causing problems, you can move it earlier or do the big meal and lunch time, and serve something simpler for supper.

Don't know if that's helpful?
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!