Author Topic: 11 month old waking up every few hours! HELP!  (Read 17597 times)

Offline kk.tobe

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
11 month old waking up every few hours! HELP!
« on: May 26, 2010, 04:05:28 am »
Hi,

I am new to this forum, and also new to BW. I recently bought Tracy's book, but havent completely implemented all her strategies. It is taking me time to go through the book and understand everything, in the meantime I'm going mad!

My bub was doing the EW for a long time now, and I had just given up on that. Now, along with EW, he wakes up a number of times starting from 2am. I used the rocking prop on him from his 6th month (before that he used to sleep on his own, and stopped when i stopped swaddling him), but I have recently stopped rocking him and do the shh/pat and PD for the night time sleep. I still rock him for his naps though, as he refuses to go down. I work part-time and there is only so much energy I have. I intend to start PD and shh/pat for his naps as well.

He wakes up screaming at 2AM, and then every hour until I give him his milk feed at 4:00 or 4:30AM. He then settles for another hour and is up and ready to go! Its really tiring me out and I'm at my wits end trying to fix this. He has always been a catnapper, and has always needed many naps. Since his 9th month I have on two naps. AM nap is 1 hour (he usually wakes up in 1/2 hr but I manage to put him back to sleep), and PM nap is 1 hour, sometimes 1.15 hour (only if I put him back to sleep). He seems OT by 630-7 PM. His bedtime is 730PM. Should I change his naps to help him sleep better at night? He seems to be fighting his morning nap which used to be 3 hours after he woke up, but now its later and later.

His routine is somewhat like this

4:00AM - 180 ml formula
5:30AM - Wake up (sometime its 6 or 6:30 but very rarely!)
7:30-8 - Breakfast
10-11AM Nap
11:30AM - Lunch
2:30PM - 210ml formula
2:30-3:30PM - Nap
5.45PM - Dinner
7.15PM - 210 ml formula

Last night he refused to settle even after his 4 AM feed! I finally managed to put him down (lot of rocking) at 5:30AM and he woke up at 6:30AM. Its driving me insane!

Any help is much appreciated!

Offline ~Sara~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 264
Re: 11 month old waking up every few hours! HELP!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 04:48:05 am »
Hi kk.tobe :)

It sounds to me like there are a few things going on here that are all combining together.  1) He's overtired (OT).  2) He's dealing with a prop issue (the rocking to sleep).  3) That he might not be getting enough food in during the day.  I'll break down my suggestions by these numbers.

1) Overtired--He's currently running on just 2h of combined daytime sleep and has almost a 14h day.  That's a verrrrrrry long day for him.  For the time being, don't go with a set bedtime.  I know you're still trying to implement an EASY routine with him, but part of the BW philosophy is to have LO on a structured routine, not a schedule.  What I would do is follow your instincts on this: you already made mention of this yourself...he wants to go down earlier for bed.  After 2 short naps and a wake-up time of 5:30/6 am, a bedtime of 6:30 is very reasonable.  Yes, it might mean that his routine is shifted forward to the  5:30-6:30 routine for a while, but once he's caught up on sleep, you can gradually move this to later.  First thing's first, though...he just needs to get in more sleep.

So now, his naps!  It doesn't appear that the 2 x 1h naps are working for him.  He's not getting enough restorative sleep.  Don't fight the later 1st nap, either--it's completely natural for him to be staying up longer now.  At 11 months, most LOs (little ones) fall into an awake time of 3.5-4.5h (see here: http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=64158.msg476652#msg476652). 

What I would try for the next 2-3 days is to do an A time of 3h15 before his first nap.  After 2-3 days, we'll reevaluate and see where to go.  My guess is that we'll need to bump up the A time more, but we don't want to do more than a 15 minute jump or else he could become even more OT.  Remember, A time is really awake time--it includes eating, activities, and wind down--eyes open to eyes shut :)

Also, by this age, many babies have started to make the 2-1 nap transition because they start needing less daytime sleep.  I know that sounds a bit contradictory to what I just said, but most babies are moving to a longer nap--slowly cutting back on one while building out another so that when they do drop to 1 nap, it's a long nap (of at least 1.5h, most of the time closer to 2-2.5h).  I don't think he's ready to make the switch to 1 nap just yet, but I just wanted to bring this up so that you're aware of what will be in the near future.

2)Props--Again, I think you need to trust your instinct on this: no more rocking to sleep for bedtime or naps.  Way to go on not rocking any more at night!  The shh/pat might not work for him anymore as many babies find it annoying when they get older...I know my DS will slap at my hands if I try to pat him ::)  You can try it first if you'd like, but I'd keep PU/PD as an option in the back of your mind.

3)Feeding at night--This could actually be a prop, in addition to maybe being due to him not eating enough during the day.  By 11 months, babies shouldn't be waking up to eat at night anymore.  He's also on 3 solid meals a day and should definitely not be needing to eat in the motn if he's getting enough in during the day.  Looking at the routine you posted above, is he not getting any milk first thing in the AM, before his solids breakfast?  If that's the case, I think it would be good to give him his morning milk/formula again.  We want to shift his caloric intake to the day, away from the night. 

I'm not entirely convinced, though, that he's waking up at 4 am for a feed, though.  It might be from habit that he's waking...how long has he woken up at 4 am?  Have you tried wake to sleep to see if that gets rid of that waking?

If he is in fact waking at that time due to hunger, wake to sleep usually won't work.  What you'll want to do is reduce the amount in his bottle for the 4 am feed by 1 ounce every 2-3 days.  You'll have to add in that first AM bottle, though, so that he's still getting the nutrition that he needs.  Then, after a few days, he'll be down to no formula at that time, and you'll know for certain whether the waking is due to habit, hunger, or OT.

All of that said, here's a link to some sample routines for his age (remember, these are just guidelines.  As you can tell, each LO is different, so your son might be doing his own version):
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=164031.0

So, to recap the things to try:
1) Get rid of 4 am feed; add first AM bottle.  Done to shift his eating completely to the daytime.
2) Do a first A time of 3h15 for the next 2-3 days.  If he short naps (meaning, less than 1.5h), you need to reduce that following A time so that his next nap falls in his sleep window.  You'll have to watch his cues to know when he's ready, as every baby is different.  My guess, though, is that it will be around the 2.5h mark.  If he takes a 1.5h nap, then you found a good A time :)
3) Keep going with your goal of no rocking to sleep.  You can do it!!  You've already tackled nights, which in my opinion is the toughest.  Well done!!

I think you're doing a great job, and I hope you know that you are :)  Since he's older, it might take him a bit more time to adjust to EASY, and that's okay.  We're here to support you :)

Look over the novel I just wrote you (haha) and let me know what you think!
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline kk.tobe

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 07:15:17 am »
Hi Sara!

Thanks so much for taking time and posting your reply, I appreciate it so much. its like having someone to talk to, it made me well up! Thanks!

I knew I was doing something wrong there, and you hit it on the mark. I think he does need his morning milk, before his breakfast, since he gets no milk right upto 2:30PM. I will introduce that first thing tomorrow! He has pretty good meals, and does some finger food as snacks in between, I would call him a good eater, and dont really think he needs the 4AM feed. He started waking up at around 9 months for that feed, it was a growth spurt I think, and it has stuck ever since. Before that he was on a dream feed and didnt wake up until 6:30-7AM.

So just to make sure i got it right - I'll do first A time for 3h15. How long should his second A time be, if lets say he naps for an hour?

I was reading yesterday about the wake to sleep strategy, and I'm going to try it soon on him, first for his 2AM waking up (every day for a week now!), and then the 4AM one.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention is that he is cutting two top teeth. He has a total of five, and they never seemed to bother him, but maybe now it is?

I was just waiting to have a day or two of 'decent' rest before I start the PU/PD for his naps, because I know he will fight it a lot, and it will be physically exhausting (he weighs 12kg!). I think I will tackle the overtiredness issue and the feeding at night issue first and then try and eliminate the props.

Thanks for putting things down in a structured manner for me, I know things are not going right, but everythings is jumbled up and I have been operating suboptimally for a long time now!

Offline kk.tobe

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 06:18:00 am »
I tried to put him down for his night sleep earlier yesterday, but the PU/PD failed miserably. I don't know what happened, it had been working for about 8 days now, but yesterday LO was getting hysterical everytime I put him down. This went on from 6:30 to 7:30PM, the A time was stretched to 4 hrs! I refused to carry and rock him (I couldnt physically do it!), but the crying got worse, finally I had to get in his cot and put my hand on him and sing to him. He slept by 7:45PM, woke up crying once at 1:30AM, but managed to settle down with shh/pat. He was up wide again at 4AM, I let him be for 45mins, ater that he started crying for milk. I tried PU/PD but it didnt work, he cried harder when I picked him up.

I finally relented and gave him milk at 5AM. He seemed to drift off while having his milk but couldnt sleep off. After an hour of carrying/rocking he finally slept until 7:20AM. I also offered milk again when he woke up but he only took about 90ml.

Should I completely refuse the morning milk even if he cries? He would cry in his cot and more so if I pick him up for milk. I have been diluting the formula in the hope that he doesnt get enough calories and can make up in the day.

Since he did sleep till 7:20AM, should I still bring his bedtime to 6:30PM or earlier?

Also, can someone give me more advice on the wake to sleep. I did wake up at 3:40AM last night determined to try the wake to sleep, but just couldnt get myself to do for fear that he wouldnt go back to sleep and the hope that maybe miraculously he would sleep through.

Thanks!

Offline ~Emma~

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 16:22:31 pm »
Hi hun,

I hope you dont mind but I redirected your PU/PD post over to here so you can get all your advice on the same page!

Sara is probably alot better than me on the routine side of things to be honest but in the meantime if you can explain to me exactly how you are doing pu/pd at the moment, perhaps your technique needs a tweak. A little regressio is also normal and the older the bub the more they seem to regress but consistancy is key.

The more you cave the longer the whole process will take hun. These pesky LO's have a grasp of cause and effect long before we expect them too! I know its easy for me to say when I'm not the one up at 5am but trustme I have been in the past and understand completely how hard it is.

Let us know what it is your doing with PU/PD at the moment and we can cast our eyes over it to see of we can help.

(((((hugs))))))

In regard to bedtime, well it entirely depends on how the day has gone so far. Where are you? UK?

Here's a wee link on w2s, I understand your fear of it. I was the same and never actually tried it myself!

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=64168.0

Offline ~Sara~

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 16:50:24 pm »
He started waking up at around 9 months for that feed, it was a growth spurt I think, and it has stuck ever since.
It sounds like you have a very clear idea about what has happened and the direction you'd like to go.  I think that's wonderful!  We had something like this happen to us when DS was 4 mo--a NW that turned into a feeding that turned into a habitual feeding that threw the whole day off.  We did the slow cutting back technique like I described above, and it worked really well for us.  So, keep doing what you're doing with starting the morning off with a feed--think of it as 1/2 of his breakfast (the other half being his solids an hour later).  We'' wait and see how the nights are affected after a couple of days and go from there.

He was up wide again at 4AM, I let him be for 45mins, ater that he started crying for milk. I tried PU/PD but it didnt work, he cried harder when I picked him up.

I finally relented and gave him milk at 5AM. He seemed to drift off while having his milk but couldnt sleep off. After an hour of carrying/rocking he finally slept until 7:20AM. I also offered milk again when he woke up but he only took about 90ml.

Should I completely refuse the morning milk even if he cries? He would cry in his cot and more so if I pick him up for milk. I have been diluting the formula in the hope that he doesnt get enough calories and can make up in the day.
For the time being, since his body's used to getting a bulk of its calories in at that time, I would feed him, diluting the formula as I described in my last post.  I know it's hard right now, and there probably won't be an immediate "fix" to the night feeds, but I think that we're going in the right direction.  As you gradually lessen the amount of formula in his MOTN (middle of the night) bottle, he should start eating more upon waking up.  Once you're down to only water in the bottle/or no more ounces left to reduce, he might still wake up at that time bc he's used to it.  Then that's when you can use either PU/PD or w2s to get rid of that NW.  Know that you're doing the right thing!! :)

Now, about the morning bottle.  He didn't take much bc he had a full feed in the motn--it hadn't even been 3h since he last ate.  That's to be expected for a little while.  Keep offering the bottle first thing in the AM--don't stop.

...I'll have to come back to this as DS has decided to have an OT nap (yay...)...
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline ~Sara~

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 03:16:32 am »
Posting this from your Naps thread:

Hi ladies!

I have already posted under night wakings, but I though I could get advice on naps as well.

My 11 month old (10.5) needs help with transitions for every nap time. For the AM nap, I have stopped intervening and let him nap for 40-45 mins. For the PN nap, I try to extend to 1h30 but mostly he is up in 1 or 1h15.

His day is somewhat like this

4:00AM - 180 ml formula, watered-down, trying to cut it all together (last few nights he's doesnt settle even with milk and is up till 6AM!)
5:30AM - Wake up (sometime its 6 or 6:30 but very rarely!)
6:30AM - 180 ml formula (just introduced this after someone from the forums suggested
8-830 - Breakfast
10-1045 AM Nap
2:30PM - 210ml formula
2:30-3:30PM - Nap
5.45PM - Dinner
7.15PM - 210 ml formula
7:30-7:45PM - bedtime (I'm trying PU/PD here, so it takes longer to put him down and A time gets stretched even more)

If someone can tell me how to change his nap time so we can get better results at night, I'd be very grateful. Right now, he wakes up 1-3 times before 4AM and then EW is around 4 or 430AM. I'm still working on PU/PD for night, but am not terribly successful. For his naps I still rock him to sleep, he's a rather spirited fellow, and quite heavy at 12kgs. He's also teethign right now, but his previous 5 teeth never bothered him coming, not sure if these are.
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline ~Sara~

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 03:38:51 am »
Okay...back with more (yesterday was a nightmare, a really odd day for him).  How have the past couple of days gone?

So just to make sure i got it right - I'll do first A time for 3h15. How long should his second A time be, if lets say he naps for an hour?
There's no set formula to determine how much to shorten the A time following a short nap.  Some babies like a good 30 minutes shaved off, other like only 15-20 minutes' difference (compared to their usual full A time).  I would watch his cues while keeping an eye on the clock...just because this is a great learning experience for you, to know how long he can last after an X long nap.  My guess is that he'll be able to do an A time of ~2h50-55 before needing to be asleep again.  But I could be wrong; again, this is entirely up to him.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention is that he is cutting two top teeth. He has a total of five, and they never seemed to bother him, but maybe now it is?
This is actually really important to consider!!  Teething can wreak havoc with the most textbook of routines!  If he's in any discomfort, have you tried pain meds or something topical (like baby orajel) to see if that makes a difference?  The thing is, babies' sleep is comprised of cycles of ~45 minutes long (nights I've found to be a tad longer, personally speaking).  At the end of the cycle, LOs go through a phase where they're in a light sleep.  The discomfort from teething can actually wake them up fully during this light sleep phase, or if it's really uncomfortable, any other time during a nap/night sleep.  Also, sometimes the pain can prevent them from falling asleep at the beginning of the nap when they need to...that can add OT on top of teething pain...and, well, it's not a pretty picture.  Do you think that might be what's going on?  I ask bc you're there and can see how he's acting.

Now, looking at the routine you posted above:

If he's awake at 5:30am and doesn't go back to sleep, that is the official start of his day.  That means that after doing the 3h15 A time, his first nap will come at ~8:45...and hopefully he'll sleep for 1.5h-2h.  If he does nap that long, then you do ~3h15 for the next A time with the hopes that nap #2 is again 1.5h-2h long.  Then you do a last A time of the day at ~3h15 and then bedtime, so your day would look something like this (adjust if wake up time is different):

Awake 5:30
E: bottle, solids 1h later
A: 3h15
S: asleep no later than 8:45; 1.5h nap
Awake at 10:15
E: bottle, solids 1h later
A: 3h15
S: asleep no later than 1:30; 1.5h nap
Awake at 3
E:
A: 3h15; bedtime routine
S: asleep no later than 6:15ish

You can see from that that LO's overall day would be a little less than 13h long, which is okay.  And a note about A times: not all A times are going to be the exact same length, granted some LOs prefer that, but many don't.  Some babies like the first A time to be the longest, with A times decreasing slightly as the day goes on.  Other babies are opposite; and even some babies like their longest A time in the middle of the day.  You'll have to learn what Joshua likes and tweak the sample routine to fit his needs.  Emma and I--and any other mommies on this site--can help you figure this out if need be.

One final word (for now) about EASY, it's not a schedule.  It's a routine that can be adjusted/changes according to the day your LO has had.  Some days when LO doesn't nap well, yes, bedtime will be earlier than normal.  And that's OKAY!  It's normal :)  Which is why I mentioned earlier not worry too much about set bedtimes; bedtime is so flexible--BW just gives you the tools/techniques to be able to respond to the day your LO has had.

So, there's my novel du jour ;)  Let us know how you're doing.  And keep up the hard work :)  You should be proud of yourself, truly!
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline kk.tobe

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 13:28:03 pm »
Thanks Emma & Sara!

There is light at the end of the tunnel! Thanks for all the advice! I think changing his nap time has helped, his NW is down to one! I still have the EW issue to tackle, but once I get him off the bottle, I think (and hope) we're there!!

I realized things have gone a bit out of hand with him, especially the rocking to sleep. I never thought it would be a problem until the NW and EW started, I dunno if its too late now. I tried PU/PD on him for naps and it was a disaster. He was really frustrated, even refused to fall asleep on his own at bedtime that day (which he had started doing for at least 10 days). He's really spirited, the PU/PD is getting him more worked up, until he screams continuously - even if I pick him he keeps crying, he falls asleep only after a lot of screaming which seems to be tiring him out.

The PU/PD is also not working too well at the NW since he expects to be fed. He screams for his milk and also because I'm not picking him up. I do agree if I stick to this eventually he might start responding better, but I will surely burn out. Only one day of it and I felt like I had been hit by a truck at the end of the day (soooo exhausted!). I know I may not be able to keep this, esp not until I fix the other problems, so I didnt do it today. Heres what his days were like yesterday (with PU/PD for naps n bedtime) and today (no PU/PD).

Yesterday
3:30AM - NW (I didnt give him the bottle, instead PU/PDed. Slept at 4:40 after a lot of crying)
5:40AM - Wake up
6:15AM - 210 ml formula
8:00AM - Breakfast
9:15AM - NAP (took 1/2hr of PU/PD)
10:40AM - Wake up and play time
1:15PM - NAP (I followed his cues on this one, since he was OT I put him down earlier - 45 mins PU/PD)
2:40PM - Wake up
3:00PM - 240 ml formula
5:30PM - Dinner
6:00PM - Bath and ready for bed
6:45PM - Sleep (after 45 mins of PU/PD, I still had to keep my hand on him standing by the cot)
2:30AM - NW (slept on being shushed)

Today
4:00AM - NW for milk (I did not give him, instead rocked him, slept at 4:45AM. Of course, I couldnt sleep at all!)
6:00AM - Wake up and 190ml formula
8:15AM - Breakfast
9:20AM - Sleep
11:00AM - Wake up
11:15AM - Lunch
1:30PM - 210 ml formula and Nap - Helped him transition a few times and got close to two hr nap
3:20PM - Wake up
6:30PM - Bath and 210 ml formula, ready for bed
7:00PM - Slept on his own after 20 mins of restlessness.

I'm trying to bring the bedtime earlier, so his last A time is not more than 3h15, but he moves around a lot, n babbles away in his cot for almost 20-40mins before dozing off. Should I start the bedtime routine even earlier so that he sleeps early. My worry is that if I start too early (say 5:30PM for a 6:15PM bedtime), he won't be that tired and it will take longer. What do you think?

Also, if his last bottle is around 6:45PM, is it reasonable to expect no bottle until the next morning 6AM? Should I give him water?

Emma, let me know what you think of me taking a break from PU/PD and waiting until I sort out the other issues.

Thanks so much for the help and support!

PS - I'm in Singapore, and it is bloody hot!!

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 17:51:58 pm »
Hi hun,

Well great job so far. I personally think taking taking a break from pu/pd will make everything take longer, its a great tool to teach your LO to fall asleep independantly and I think that once that issue has been solved things will fall into place for you.

I understand its hard and tiring for both you and LO but you will see results soon enough. Its completely your decision though hun, you know bub best. I have an extrememly spirited LO too and I get where you are coming from on that one. Think of it like so....he has fallen asleep a certain way for ages now and he needs to be re-taught to fall asleep by himself. Of course there will be protest, its completely natural for your LO to fight it every inch of the way.  ;) Its also very important that YOU are ready to go down the PU/PD road too though.

Its also comletely normal for naps to take longer to sort out than nightsleep. Nights tend to come together first.

Also, if his last bottle is around 6:45PM, is it reasonable to expect no bottle until the next morning 6AM? Should I give him water?

I dont think its unreasonable to expect a 12 hour stretch at night at this point and its completely doable in my opinion.

Keep your chin up hun, I am sure the heat isn't making things any better.  :)

Offline ~Sara~

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 19:23:30 pm »
Just checking in on you...how have the past couple of days gone?
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline kk.tobe

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 04:07:01 am »
Hi Sara,

Thanks for checking...its all up and down really. I am still refusing the night feed (last night was the 6th night) and have not yet started PU/PD. The night before last, he didnt really wake up for his milk but was stirring every 40-45 minutes in his sleep (almost waking up), I was right there throughout patting him back to sleep (I know!). So I though finally he's over it, but last night he was up at 3:45AM and didnt sleep until 5AM (only after some mad rocking) and was up at 6AM. so the night wakings seem to continue, I did notice that he does not wake up hungry, he was just wide awake at 3:45. I let him be and he played for 30mins in his cot, and sudenly decided he was hungry. Before 3:45, he woke up once screaming at 1:30AM (its usually anytime between 1-2:30AM), this has been going on quite consistantly for a while now. Sometimes it two times a night before he's wide awake at 3:30-4.

I still cant put my finger on it, I'm not sure what it is thats waking him up. His teeth were bothering him last week but not any more. Could it be that he needs a diaper change? I have never really changed his diaper at night for a while now, but in the morning it is really full. Or is it that he is UT? He's doing two long naps, in the AM and PM. His day is somehwat like this

6AM - Wake up & play
6:30AM - Bottle 210 ml
8:30AM - Breakfast
9:15AM - NAP (I help him transition and he sleeps for 1h15 to 1h30 mins)
1:30PM - 210 ml bottle
1:45PM - Nap (again I try to let him nap for 1h30 if I can)
4:00PM - Snack
6:00PM  - Bath
6:30PM - Bottle and bedtime (usually falls asleep on his after 20 mins or so)

His morning A is 3h15 give n take, the second A is really short, sometimes he's sleepy after an A of 2h, usually only 2h30. The third A is 3h30 or 3h45. In case he is UT, should I cut the AM or PM nap?

Every night I'm up at about 1:30 -2 and am unable to go back to sleep. Ive been going to bed early by 8 everyday so I can catch some sleep, don't even get to see my husband most days!

Can you make any sense of all this?

Thanks so much!

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 07:39:11 am »
The night before last, he didnt really wake up for his milk but was stirring every 40-45 minutes in his sleep (almost waking up),

In our house this always means OT when ot happens in the early hours of the evening. DS gets to the end of a sleep cycle and struggles to get to the next fully as he's so tired. Just my experience though.

I still cant put my finger on it, I'm not sure what it is thats waking him up.

I think it still could be prop issues waking him up, he wakes in the night and quite simply doesn't know how to get himself back to sleep as he's so used to be being rescued. Again just my opinion.

He is having alot of daytime sleep for a bub his age. Have you thought abuot cutting one?

(((((hugs)))))))

Offline kk.tobe

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 02:02:08 am »
Thanks Emma.

I've been putting him down for his naps and bedtime way before he is OT, could it still be that? Especially his last A is about 3h30, he's almost never ready for this and maybe could go to 4h if I try.

He takes two naps of a total of about 3h or so. For each of the naps I have to help him transition. Is that too much? If at all, should I cut the AM or the PM nap. His A time after the first AM nap is only about 2h30, even if he has slept for 1h15 or 1h30. If I cut the AM nap to shorter he might be tired earlier, that would bring the PM nap earlier and the bedtime (which is already 6:30-7)

Offline kk.tobe

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 02:12:48 am »
Also, you are right about the prop issue and I have to sort it out. But i can't help but feel that PU/PD is not right for his age and his nature (spirited/touchy). It really agitates it to a point where he refuses to be consoled. Have there been any cases where PU/PD didn't work, or where mums found it to be too taxing to even try. Also I work three days a week, where the nanny looks after him. I can certainly give her instructions but won't have any idea if she would really follow through. Especially, after he starts crying like he does.

Even for his age he really doesn't mind the shush/pat. For his bedtime I put him in his cot after his feed, read him a book. He usually thrashes around in his cot for 20 minutes and falls asleep on his own. Of course, I'm still there in the room throughout. Soon I will start the WI/WO for the bedtime sleeping. When he wakes up at night, I don't pick him up - usually a shush and light patting does the trick and he is out. Its only the EW that he can't settle back since he is so wide awake. In fact for the EW, he babbles around in his cot for 20-20 minutes before he starts crying and usually the cry is for milk and not for picking up and rocking him back. Since I'm not giving him any feed, I pick him up and rock him to sleep. I'm hoping, once he stops waking up for a feed, I can just pat him back to sleep.

Its just the naps that I still rock him. I know its not right, but I'm waiting for his 2-1 transition before I try to get him to sleep independently for naps, since I will have to only do it once a day and not twice!