Author Topic: Walking  (Read 1891 times)

Offline ~Emma~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
Walking
« on: May 27, 2010, 12:31:02 pm »
 Is a walk in the buggy with a 17 month old an activity? I always feel bad when I'm dragging him out walk with the dogs, he never seens to be bothered but I do worry that he's not getting much out of it. We go out every day for over an hour.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 12:49:58 pm »
I think so.  He's getting lots of visual stimulation and fresh air.  And as long as he likes it then it's great fun!

I always feel guilty having T in the buggy because I know he'd rather be walking, but sometimes I just can't chase him (especially with the dog for now that I have F).  But he seems to enjoy looking at things.  He points at everything, so we walk around and he points and I tell him what he's pointing at.  Then if I have the energy I'll let him out to walk for a little bit. 
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Nauvoo

• Showing Appreciation 43
    • Concrete Picture Frames
Re: Walking
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 18:25:50 pm »
I know how you feel.  I often feel guilty for dragging my 16 month old around in the stroller, especially if it happens more than once a day.  She doesn't particularly like it unless I have toys and snacks, or we are in a busy place and she has a lot of things to see and point out.  Otherwise it wouldn't happen.  So, under the circumstances I definitely see it as an activity.
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

[url=http://concretepicture.wordpress.com]Concrete Picture
Frames[

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 17:39:04 pm »
We bring snacks and cup.  I don't really bring toys anymore because he chucks them out.

We have a wagon that he likes much better, do you have that kind of thing there:
http://common1.csnimages.com/lf/1/hash/1022/2275702/1/Step2-Wagon-for-Two-Plus.jpg

He feels like he is king of the world in that thing lol

Do you let him out to run around with the dogs?
The tweaking never stops!

Offline ~Emma~

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 18:08:42 pm »
Wow, the wagon looks cool but I think he would just jump out!

Sometimes I let him run around with the dogs but they are mad too. Springer Spaniel and Border Collie, so its like having 2 more spirited children and hard to keep an eye on all 3 when out and about.  ;)

I just sometimes feel like some days he's just stuck y'know. Like today he was in nursery this morning. Picked him up at 1ish and straight in the car into town to meet friends for lunch so in a highchair for the next 2.5 hours then the journey home in the car. Home for dinner and then  quick runaround before bed. I sometimes feel guilty that I should be spending time amusing him but I guess we cant do that ALL the time can we?

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 18:20:26 pm »
There's a strap with buckle, much like stroller.  Are you kidding, no way Finn would sit in otherwise lol.  But somehow being in the wagon seems less restrictive than the stroller, he can see more and gets more attention ;-)

Honestly, they need to learn self-amusement too - boredom fosters creativity. 
The tweaking never stops!

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 18:24:57 pm »
I wouldn't worry about it too much if he is happy sitting there - both  mine have been happy to sit in the buggy for quite a while, and I have always figured that they must be getting enough stimulation if they don't want to go anywhere.  It's probably a good idea if you can bear to let him out to run around with the dogs some of the time too, though - although maybe you are best not giving him the idea that that is an option! ;D

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 19:08:37 pm »
it's a great activity for him to observe things around him.  If he's walking himself, he would be focussed on the walking itself hehe  I would definitely keep doing this as long as he would :)) I see much older kids sitting in the pram in the park.  Just a leisurely way to see the world. I want a pram for myself sometimes :D