Author Topic: Allergic reaction or not??  (Read 1029 times)

Offline gogomama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
« on: May 28, 2010, 09:57:54 am »
Hi all,

I fed my 7.5 mo DS pumpkin for the first time a few days ago for his morning meals. Subsequently, he's been having tons of gas (hes always been a little gassy, but this seems a little more)and EXPLOSIVE poos. I had to change him from head to toe :) He has a little bit of a bum rash but just kind of a small circle. Is it just digestion issues or a possible allergy?? The only other food he had a problem with was banana, which went in and out in less than an hour. On a side note and leading to a related question, I have a ton of food allergies myself, (soy milk, peanuts, fresh apples, pears, plums, cherries, mango, kiwi, etc) that I never suffered from until later in life. does this make DS more prone and should I limit his exposure to these foods?? Thanks in advance. :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 10:13:26 am by gogomama »

scarlettsmom

Re: Allergic reaction or not??
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 13:26:45 pm »
Hi,

It sounds like he had a reaction to the food, whether or not it's an allergy or an intolerance though is hard to distinguish.  With the diaper rash is it a ring around his anus?  Usually that's an indicator of an allergic reaction.  I would definitely wait a few months before introducing that food again. 

Regarding your allergies.  Yes, it would make DS a bit more prone to allergies.  However, not necessarily the ones that you are allergic to.  Just to food in general, if that makes sense.  So I wouldn't hold back on things that you are allergic to (with the exception of the peanuts - wait until after a year at least, or whenever your dr recommends), but just be very cautious with each new food introduction. 

HTH!

Offline gogomama

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 15:03:44 pm »
Thanks Scarletts mom. That helps a lot! Yes, it was a right ard the anus. I was a little doubtful bc googling no one seems to have experienced a pumpkin allergy..I guess there is a first for everything :) I will hold off on it for a couple months and see what happens. Maybe the thick consistency was a little much for his tummy to handle..

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 18:00:31 pm »
Kids can be intolerant/allergic to anything - my DS has problems (amongst other things) with carrots! Carrots are meant to be one of the best baby foods and it is in almost every jar of baby food ???  DS also gets the redness wherever the poo has been but even without cream it heals within a day
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

scarlettsmom

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 18:56:44 pm »
Yes, as pp said kids can be allergic to anything.  My DD2 had a rice allergy!

Hope he's feeling better... :-*