Author Topic: Blood in poo. Could it be an allergy?  (Read 1625 times)

Offline ~Faye~

• A TRUE FRIEND IS SOMEONE WHO SEES THE PAIN IN YOUR EYES WHILE EVERYONE ELSE BELIEVES THE FAKE SMILE .
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 369
  • If life hands you lemons ask for tequila and salt!
Blood in poo. Could it be an allergy?
« on: June 04, 2010, 09:28:58 am »
Not sure if this should be here or in health, sorry.

We've always had a few issues with Darcy and her insides, wind, constipation, diarrhea etc. But today it is 10am and we've already changed her nappy three times since 7.30. My DH did the first but I did the second two and they were runny and mucousy and had blood in them, pink rather than red.

But last night she actually took some milk from a bottle, it is a lactose free formula as when we've tried her with normal formula she cried and cried and seemed to have gripe like pains. If it hadn't been for that I'd be taking her to the dr's. Although she has had one other episode of blood in her poo but I couldn't put it down to anything in particular and it cleared up, the dr wasn't too worried about it.

She has no fever but last night she came out in big spots, I was a bit worried they were chicken pox but thankfully they weren't. She had a bit of a rash too but it calmed down when she cooled down so I thought it was just heat, could it be linked. It came out before she had the bottle but she had had some formula before, only about 1oz.

I'm just not sure what to do, she seems happy in herself now although she wasn't her normal self last night before the bottle. Do I just wait and see what the next nappy brings? Try her with more formula and see what that does? Try another formula? I need to find something she will/can have as I might have to stop BF. She's had yogurt, milk on cereal etc since she was weaned at 6 months and has been fine with it. So I don't know if this is an allergy or what, it just seems odd that it has come right after having the formula :-\

Shay
Ziggy Sleep well xxx
Ellie
Darcy
http://postnatalillness.myfreeforum.org/index.php

scarlettsmom

Re: Blood in poo. Could it be an allergy?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 19:01:07 pm »
Hi Faye,

The mucous and blood in her stool could for sure point to a milk protein intolerance.  It could be the milk protein, and not the lactose (which is the milk sugar) that is causing the problem. 

The surest way to know is to eliminate it completely from her diet.  You could ask for allergy testing, but if it's an intolerance it may not show up, unless they do skin patch testing, and that is still not definite.

It could be that the larger quantity (drinking milk from the bottle) is what brought this out, whereas the smaller quantities may have caused gas/abdominal pain/loose stools.

(((Hugs))))  It's hard to figure out, but based on what you've written I would not give cow's milk at all, but try an alternate (soy, oat, almond, coconut, etc).

HTH!!  :-*

Offline donna_issabella

• Showing Appreciation 941
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 19:16:19 pm »
I second what Tari wrote, defintiely sounds like the formula is the culprit. The rash also fits.

Sometimes the formula has additives, like certain vitamins, DHA etc to which the LOs can react as well. :-\ It is a bit of a guessing game, but the fact that she has always kind of had bowel issues, probably points towards the milk protein itself.

HUGS Faye, like you need this like a hole in the head, eh?

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 20:18:05 pm »
Hugs Faye!! :(
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline ~Faye~

• A TRUE FRIEND IS SOMEONE WHO SEES THE PAIN IN YOUR EYES WHILE EVERYONE ELSE BELIEVES THE FAKE SMILE .
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 21:34:44 pm »
 :-* Thanks Tari.

Well she has still been taking the formula and hasn't had any more blood in her poo but does still have awful runny poo. Would it be worth trying a soya (or similar) formula and how long before I introduce the other formula back again? Because I do have to wean her from BF so really need to find something that would work for her. Is giving things like oat or soya milk as the drink now ok or does it need to be a formula til she's 1? You'd think I'd know this by now wouldn't you :P

LOL DI, it's not the greatest timing in the world but when is it ever? ::)

Sharon :-*
Shay
Ziggy Sleep well xxx
Ellie
Darcy

scarlettsmom

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 00:44:23 am »
She may not have blood in her stool each time, but lots of times w/MPI (MSPI) it is microscopic and can only be seen when tested (usually you have to bring a dirty diaper in to the peds and they have a quick test they can do w/a smear...have done it SO many times with DD2....can really put your mind at ease, or confirm your suspicions) .  Having the runny stools, I would stop it.

I totally didn't get she wasn't a year yet.  :P  Can you get a hypoallergenic formula?  I honestly wouldn't even go the soy route just because there is a good chance she'll have the same reaction and then you'd have to switch her again (although lots of babies don't have soy issues with milk issues).  Anyway - can you get a prescription for Nutramigen or Alimentum( my ped said he always recommended Nutramigen first because it seems to be a little easier for LOs tummies) or buy some and test it out?  I'm not sure how it works in the UK?  

(((hugs)))
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 00:46:10 am by scarlett'smom »

Offline ~Faye~

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 16:40:19 pm »
Thanks love :-*

We can get those but they are really expensive over here. But yes, I can get them on prescription but not sure how easy it is to convince a dr to do it if they haven't got a proper diagnosis of an allergy.

Oh, I gave her a bottle today of the LF milk and right after her belly was so hard and full of wind. It was solid again like it had been when we were having the issues when she was little. I really think it is the milk :(
Shay
Ziggy Sleep well xxx
Ellie
Darcy

scarlettsmom

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 18:27:10 pm »
 :(

Can you get an appointment with your ped and let them know you saw blood in her stool?  Maybe write down everything you are seeing symptom wise and relation to when the milk was given. 

I don't want to discourage you totally from soy milk as it might be hard to get hypoallergenic.  There is a chance that won't bother her at all and that would be fantastic.  If you feel like giving it a go then by all means give it a go.  Could save a lot of time and expense!

:-*

Offline donna_issabella

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 20:41:11 pm »
Faye, I bought 4 cans of nutramigen on ebay and after seeing it helped, I went to the doctor and told him what happened on the regular formula and what the difference on the nutramigen was. Worked well for us. Just an idea. :)  HUGS.

Offline ~Faye~

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 20:37:01 pm »
Thankyou lovely ladies :-*

Well I went to buy some different formula and thought I'd ask in the pharmacy on the off chance they had some nutramigen and they did! So I bought that and Darcy hated it :P took 2oz! So how do I make it so that it doesn't taste so bad. I did ty pumping to mix it with BM but I didn't even get 1oz out. I have a little in the freezer but not much, not sure what to use :-\

DI, that is now my plan! Thanks :-*
Shay
Ziggy Sleep well xxx
Ellie
Darcy

Offline Rachel_Momto3boys

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 20:58:37 pm »
I was going to suggest maybe trying a hydrolysate formula where the proteins are partially broken down making it easier to digest and more like breastmilk.  It looks like you tried the Nutramigen, are you still trying?  Maybe you could also stay away from soy and try eliminating milk to see if it makes a difference. 
Rachel
Mom to 3 boys
Augustboy02 - Sensational Sensory Kid
Decemberboy04 - former reflux baby
Augustboy10 - MSPI Baby - EBF w/elimination diet

Offline donna_issabella

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 21:08:50 pm »
LOL, persevere, persevere, persevere, I am afraid.

The other option is to mix it with regular formula, 50/50 and trying to wean her onto it, but that will prolong Darcy's agony. and honestly, NOTHING will take that horrid taste away. I know they have a Nutramigen 'Taste Better', but even that was foul.

however sticking it out meant when Henry turned 15-16 months, we had avoided milk and soy so effectively, we weaned him onto Soya milk (milk, not formula) when we transitioned him to sippies, and it worked a charm. Imagine the nutramigen hitting you full on on the tongue when drinking it from a sippy!!! :-X  :-X

HUGS and GOOD LUCK!!! :D

Offline ~Faye~

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 14:48:25 pm »
Imagine the nutramigen hitting you full on on the tongue when drinking it from a sippy!!! :-X  :-X

:-X :-X :-X :-X Can't think of anything worse! I've got some frozen BM so will mix that with it for a bit but don't want to get her used to it tasting like BM really!

Thanks Rachel, I've only just got the nutramigen so tonight we will give it a go again! Hopefully keeping on trying will work! ;D
Shay
Ziggy Sleep well xxx
Ellie
Darcy