Author Topic: Please tell me this will work...experiences? Big Update!  (Read 10252 times)

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
Re: Please tell me this will work...experiences?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 13:11:17 pm »
It sounds like he is making an attempt after he realizes that is what his only choices are. I think he will make progress.

Stay strong. :)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 13:14:29 pm »
They are all small steps.  I think he's doing really well.  Trying something new (even if it was a rice crispie treat!) and then eating the strawberries is fab!  Honestly!

I would have expected a much bigger battle with him whining and shouting for her fav foods all day long!  He's doing really well.  

Keep a wee list of the foods he tries.  It can help you see the progress when it doesn't seem like there is much.  I worked with a wee guy who used to eat loads of stuff for me and stuck to two foods in the house (a total rascal!) and in the end after a few weeks we made a poster together (me, him and his mum) for his kitchen wall.  It was basically a big poster entitled 'Foods I like to eat..' and we either drew or cut out pictures of the foods he had tried and ate a few times so we all knew what he liked and ate!   Something to think about for a few weeks time.  It really motivated him to keep eating new foods!!

Did the nutritionist day about setting a timer for mealtimes and having him remain at the table for a certain amount of time or did she say to present the food and if he wants to sit thats ok but to leave him to it?  

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 13:15:10 pm »
Are you always providing a preferred food with each of his meals?

Offline M2M

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 16:59:53 pm »
I know!  I am surprised he hasn't put up more of a fight...he was VERY irritable last night and before lunch....threw a couple of toys but nothing major or not redirectable. 

The nutritionist said to "try" to get him to stay at the table and engage him but if he leaves don't make a big deal but don't let him leave the table with food.  I have not provided a preferred food at every meal but we are doing that today....I am wondering if I shouldn't...IDK. 

This is funny though....he asked my DH to pretend to be an oreo while he pretends to be a fruit snack and DS pretended to eat him....hahah....DH says the first stage of withdrawel is hallucinations....the poor thing was such a sugar addict.

Oh and he tried a banana at snack....he NEVER eats banana's...he tried it once at school but not for us.

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 17:19:27 pm »
ooooh great!

Offline M2M

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 17:39:51 pm »
One more question.....DH says that he keeps getting up and throwing the food away on his plate that he doesn't want.  I probably shouldn't let him do that, right?  Make him keep it there until lunch time is over and then have him throw everything away?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 18:05:03 pm »
I would ask him that if there is food he doesn't want to just leave it on his plate (on the side of it if he prefers) until the meal is over and then clean it all up. You never know - he may just decide he's still hungry and to try it if it's still there!

But sounds like he's doing great! Kudos to you all
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 18:35:20 pm »
I have not provided a preferred food at every meal but we are doing that today....I am wondering if I shouldn't...IDK.

I just asked as sometimes LOs learn to expect something preferred at every time.  I would vary it though.  Maybe 2/3 meals a day give something preferred and one don't.  You may find more success as if he's very hungry he'll try something new.  At the meal where you aren't giving something preferred give something he's likely to try (like a handful of cereal or a plain biscuit) as then you can praise him for eating something new IYSWIM even if its not totally healthy!

The nutritionist said to "try" to get him to stay at the table and engage him but if he leaves don't make a big deal but don't let him leave the table with food.

Thats a great plan.  If you don't find an improvement you could set a timer for a few minutes intially and get him to stay there for just that length of time but I'd leave that a few days!

One more question.....DH says that he keeps getting up and throwing the food away on his plate that he doesn't want.  I probably shouldn't let him do that, right?  Make him keep it there until lunch time is over and then have him throw everything away?

No I wouldn't let him throw anything away.  I'd tell him food stays on the plate and mummy/daddy will deal with clearing the plates at the end of the meal.  Letting him throw it away is his way of maintaining control over what he eats.   I would also probably keep the meal for a while after (in the fridge or wherever) so if he says he's hungry you can reoffer his meal but after say an half hour or whatever I'd just get rid of it and wait until the next meal. 

Oh and he tried a banana at snack....he NEVER eats banana's...he tried it once at school but not for us.
WOW!!!!!  Great boy!!!

Keep up the hard work.  You and DH are obviously being very calm about it all if its all starting to pay off already...good for you!!!

Offline hatshetsut

• Formerly hollyj
  • Showing Appreciation 59
  • Peekaboo!
    • Global Tots Travel Blog
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 18:48:00 pm »
Just checking in to see how it is going. Looks like things are going in the right direction! Great job! This will be the hardest week, so hang in there!
Abigail - Defines Spirited! - 5-1-06

Katherine - Is a mystery wrapped in a cute package - 4-13-10

Offline M2M

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 19:27:21 pm »
Thank you all!!  I will keep you posted :)  That is a good idea about the timer, I might have to try that if he just walks away without sitting there. I will tell DH to not allow throwing food away.

Offline M2M

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2010, 17:08:16 pm »
UPDATE:

DS has eaten bread (yesterday) he wanted to try it when they were feeding the ducks!!!

DS ate oatmeal (two bowls) today.  And for snack I tried banana bread.....he has always refused that, and he ATE IT!!

Also, he tried a turkey hot dog today...wooohoooooo

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Please tell me this will work...experiences? UPDATE :)
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2010, 17:10:30 pm »
SO AWESOME!!!!! Very happy for your DS and you! Great work mama
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2010, 17:16:16 pm »
Hooooray!

Now you know he can do it!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2010, 20:20:15 pm »
WOW!!!!!  What a great wee fella!!! Am so pleased!  That is amazing progress in such a short space of time, hope you and DH are giving yourselves big pats on the back!!

Offline hatshetsut

• Formerly hollyj
  • Showing Appreciation 59
  • Peekaboo!
    • Global Tots Travel Blog
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2010, 22:24:26 pm »
WONDERFUL!! Way to go!
Abigail - Defines Spirited! - 5-1-06

Katherine - Is a mystery wrapped in a cute package - 4-13-10