Author Topic: how has teething affected your allergic/intolerant baby?  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Stargrl

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
how has teething affected your allergic/intolerant baby?
« on: June 06, 2010, 22:29:48 pm »
DS2 has been very sensitive to food in my diet; I'm off dairy, soy, egg, nuts/peanuts, and wheat.  He's 6.5 months and just cut his 1st tooth last week and the second 2 days ago.  These last 2 days he's had really bad diapers, very green and thick strands of mucous in them :(  He's only had a bite or 2 of rice cereal here & there, so it's not food he's eating.  I stopped giving him the Hyland's teething tabs after yesterday's poo; according to their site, there are no milk proteins but maybe the lactose is affecting him... Anyways, I was wondering if it could also just be the acidic saliva from teething?  He is drooling like a fiend!  Has anyone noticed that teething itself affects the gut?  Either it's the teething tabs, or he's newly sensitive to something else in my diet.  It makes me want to cry!   :-[ 

Offline We Three

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
Re: how has teething affected your allergic/intolerant baby?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 23:06:25 pm »
Aw....I'm sorry your guy is struggling!  How long since you have eliminated those items from your diet? 

Offline Stargrl

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 23:26:06 pm »
thanks! I cut out dairy & egg when he was 2 weeks old so 6 months for that (DS1 was intolerant to those, so I was on the look-out and cut them out at the first sign), soy & peanuts/nuts at the end of February, so over 3 months for those, and wheat since early April, so just 2 months for wheat.

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 01:38:16 am »
(((hugs))) to you and your poor little monkey :-*

My ds also has multiple food allergies (dairy/egg/peanut/mustard) and though he had looser BMs when teething, they aren't green/mucousy like you describe.  My first thought was the Hyland's teething tablets when you mentioned them.  I never used them for Dylan simply because they are a lactose base, and lactose is by definition milk sugar :-\  I would stop using the teething tablets like you've done, and give it a few days to see if his poops settle down.

FWIW, I used Camilia for Dylan's teething.  It has pretty much the same active ingredients as the teething tablets, but in a water base.  It's liquid, but comes in a box of 30 individual doses so is easy to give.  Dylan had no problems with it at all.  Got it at Walmart :)

HTH, and hope he's feeling better soon!
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline Stargrl

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 14:35:47 pm »
thanks Vikki, I sure hope that's what it was.  The only other thing I can think of would be avocado, which would be tragic!  Where are those tabs at Walmart?  I'll definitely have to take a look!

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 17:21:50 pm »
I found them in the pharmacy area, where all the vitamins and herbal things are. The packaging is mostly white with pink and blue (though it may look different in the US than in Canada). The first time I went I couldn't find them, but I just asked the pharmacist for Camilia drops for teething and she took me right over :)

I hope that everything clears up quickly!! :-*
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!