Author Topic: Art activities for 19 month old  (Read 3226 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
Art activities for 19 month old
« on: June 07, 2010, 13:14:01 pm »
Hi,
I need to get some more activities on the go and wondered if any of you do painting or other art activities with your lo's who are this age. Do you think it is too young? Also - do any of you do any cookery? My mind boggles at the thought of it although I know ds would just love the mess involved  :P
We have crayons and play doh which are very supervised and tend to eb 10 min bursts as he will put them in his mouth given half a chance.  ::)
Thanks
bx

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 14:05:49 pm »
lol too cute!!!  i want to tag along to get more ideas.  I let DS *play* with crayons as he would only hit them on the paper... leaving dots only LOL.. 

Offline *Becky*

Re: Art activities for 19 month old
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 19:23:09 pm »
anyone else???

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 19:33:15 pm »
I have always used the supermarket flyers (like the ones you get to say what is on special this week) to make collages with DS - we sit and cut out pictures of various foods, toys, clothes, whatever tickles his fancy and glue them on a large sheet of paper.  I do the cutting with baby scissors or if he is in a particularly co-operative or calm mood then I put his fingers in them but I still have to hold his hands to do the actual cutting. I let him glue with a glue stick and stick things on.   Other times we will just rip paper into small bits and he will smear glue on a larger paper and then stick the bits on.  He likes sticking stickers on the paper then and will ask me to draw a flower or dog or bunny and then stick his pictures on the fridge.

At playgroup we did colour some penne with markers and then thread it onto yarn, and he liked that, so it's on my list to do with him at home soon. 

I let him help me do baking or cooking but we don't do things specifically FOR him or just for the sake of it.  I pull his highchair up to the counter and then choose what he can and can't do. I crack eggs and put them in a small tea cup/mug and then let him pour them into the larger bowl (by far his favourite thing to do). Or pour the milk into the bowl.  If it is dinner time and I am cooking I will often chop vegetables and leave them on the counter and put a pot or bowl next to them and ask him to put them in.  Or sometimes I will guide his hand so he can stir something. 

Offline brenda2

• Showing Appreciation 227
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 04:30:45 am »
we did stickers a lot at this age.  you can get big foam ones that are easy to peel and manouever with hands onto the page. also stamps.  she LOVES the stamps.

we did "coloring" too and the more you do it the better they get with the crayons.  sidewalk chalk works well too and is easy to hold.  i would just say don't put it in her mouth and if she did it a few times even after i reminded her not to i put them away.  some of my friends did painting but it's messy and needs a lot of help/supervision.  i did painting from about age 2.  but you could paint outside with water and a brush.

we didn't really do any cooking until more recently - after age 2 and just dumping and pouring.

playdough but mostly it was her asking me to make a ball or a snake etc.

that was about it for "art" at this age, my lo was all about physical play and going outside, still is.  such a tomboy, not really into art though she does like stickers and paints and helping cook certain things.

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 04:47:51 am »
you could make homemade playdoh or let him put food color on bread then toast it.

paint w/ water (outside)

paint w/ pudding

i loved the crayola magic markers (only work on special paper)

painting w/ bubbles (add some food color to bubbles and blow agst paper)

doodle pro's

if i remember, i'll get you some more ideas....

they make these do-a-dot things that are great. they are like big fat markers (like the bingo blotter things) and so easy for them to use.
heather

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 19:23:08 pm »
Lots of great ideas...
bx