Author Topic: non-tomato/milk based sauce ideas??  (Read 2865 times)

Offline firsttimemummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
non-tomato/milk based sauce ideas??
« on: June 07, 2010, 18:29:38 pm »
DS has a cold cows milk intolerence and seems to be getting a really sore bottom with tomatoes - so now I am trying to think what to give him with, for example, with pasta (he loves pesto!).  Everything seems to be a milk/cheese sauce or tomatoes!  ???
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
Re: non-tomato/milk based sauce ideas??
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 18:34:58 pm »
oooh am going to lurk if you don't mind? Alex is allergic to tomatoes and I think he gets fed up with cheese sauce all the time..  ::)
]

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 19:00:38 pm »
No worries - how does his allergy show itself (DS gets a red bottom where the poo is ... sorry for mentioning this in a food forum ??? )?  Hopefully someone will come up with ideas.  Pesto good but don't want to give it too often as it has pinenuts in it ...
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 19:06:49 pm »
When DS was small and tomatoes were making his eczema flare up I roasted other veggies like squash, peppers, carrotts etc and pureed them to make a sauce. It was very tasty! I also did a tomato free meat sauce in a similar way - put minced/ ground beef and any other veggie in a bit of very low sodium stock in the slow cooker so the meat was very tender and easy to mash or puree up. It made a lot of portions so the salt was only a tiny amount in each one - I think we used some of it as well!

Laura

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 19:49:33 pm »
forgot to mention that carrots are the worst for him (he has never managed them without redness) - starting to think anything red/orange causes problems!! can't handle citrus fruits either ...

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 20:05:32 pm »
I used baby food purées when I was short on time/energy. Ds is allergic to dairy and I got sick of making tomato all the time. Squash and sweet potato were definitely the favourites!
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 20:07:02 pm »
i would also suggest low sodium salt or dilute stock to cook with potatoes, aubergine, any veg (non orange in your case) with some meat if you eat meat.  I love stew, so very tasty and DS loves it, too.  Meat will be so tender.  I also make asian stew with yellow bean sauce, soy bean paste (japanese miso) or just simply some soy sauce, five spices and a bit of sugar.  It has sodium, true.. but it makes tasty sauce but needs long cooking is a down side.  Also coconut milk is a good base for sauce.  Fry a tiny bit of curry powder or use non spicy version, (hmmm might irritate your LO's sensitive skin, though)...  Skip the curry powder LOL.. just use it as the liquid.  You can also use beer, but i'm not sure if it's good for kids :P but the alcohol will be long gone :P   I also make a chicken dish, just boil it with water for 1.5 h till it's really tender.  It's really tasty.  For us adults, I make a soy dipping sauce and if u like spicy, add some chilli sauce.  very very tasty.  oh my.. i'm hungry now :P  HTH

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 11:29:15 am »
oooh there are some great ideas here!

Quote (selected)
how does his allergy show itself

it started when he was about 7.5mo and on solids- he got a horrible red rash round his face which wouldn't go away when we were on holiday. He was also spitting up more than usual and his bum was red and sore.
It was after we got home I made the connection as he was living on jarred foods on holiday (at Center Parcs), all of which had tomatoes in. Went to the doc & HV, she said tomatoes are very acidic which makes reflux worse, hence the increased spitting up; eliminated it from his diet for 3 weeks and then tried again; he got the reaction you see below from 2 spoonfuls of bolognaise!
The doc confirmed it after seeing the photo and advised to eliminate again, and try every 6 months.
We also eliminated citrus and berries, as he had the same reaction to strawberry yoghurt and fresh raspberries.

hth x
]

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 11:56:45 am »
hi ya we make a pasta sauce with red peppers...I roast them till black, skin them then wizz them till smooth...just like tomato but not tomato...

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 16:09:49 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions - looking forward to trying them all! Thanks, KathyrnK for the photo (DS used to have that a little bit) - funny that your LO is the same with berries too - maybe there is a link?  We are seeing peads next month but at least I know they will tell us to wait 6 months then try again ...

Offline ireneee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 19:39:27 pm »
Hi there,
One of our favourites is mashing up an avocado with some pilchards / sardines etc (the tinned ones in tomato sauce but you can also get them in oil if you're avoiding tomatoes).