Author Topic: Red Bottom - Whole Milk?  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Red Bottom - Whole Milk?
« on: June 07, 2010, 23:56:44 pm »
Started whole milk yesterday (he was a year on Saturday). For months now he's already been eating regular yogurt no problem, as well as cheese in things. And his formula has been milk-based since birth. With the milk, we are switching one bottle at a time (he currently has three bottles a day), starting with the morning bottle - so we did that with whole milk yesterday and today. Both days he pooped a bit more frequently (but not diarrhea), the poop (sorry TMI) is a little firmer and greener and stinkier and makes his tush rather red (though it does go away and doesn't seem to hurt him). He has also been pretty clingy but that seems a teething thing and has been going on longer than just the past two days.

Should we be concerned about the milk and red tush? Just an adjustment thing maybe? Anything we can/should do? Restart probiotics for a few weeks perhaps? TIA!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 05:15:49 am »
Paed told us that it is natural when switching to milk for there to be major changes in stool and red bottoms, and such.  It can take a couple of weeks to get used to the milk.

HTH

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
Re: Red Bottom - Whole Milk?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 06:44:35 am »
I had a thread on this a few weeks ago, my doctor thought I was mad for suggesting it might be an allergy to milk (we had just switched too). His bottom is nothing like it was but is still sore on and off, however he is teething badly too so could be down to that.

We were prescribed Canesten (thrush cream) which really helped. Although, having said that, my friend's doctor told her that none of the creams designed for 'nappy rash' really help and the best thing is Vaseline!

Hope it improves quickly. Would be interesting to know what you GP says if it gets that far.

xxx
Catherine x

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Red Bottom - Whole Milk?
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 10:44:19 am »
Thanks guys - will just plod on as is though - but will add in probiotic back in - can't hurt to up the gut immunity during this... Will do just the morning bottle again today and then add in the afternoon bottle tomorrow as long as nothing seems worse.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01