Author Topic: Story Time Advice  (Read 1866 times)

Offline theaussiemommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: June 11, 2010, 03:47:11 am »
My 4mo little guy has sat contentedly through story time most of his life but lately, he gets SO frustrated because he wants to eat the books and I (obvious to mommys but not to him) don't let him! :) I am happy to let him touch gently but he starts getting fussy when there is resistance to get it to his mouth to the point that its becoming an unpleasant experience for him. I don't want to read to him and have him cry the whole way through and have it end up being something he resists in the future, but I also want to train him to respect our books and right now, he just doesn't get it!! (Fair enough at 4mo!)

I'm guessing this is a phase that lots of other mommys and babies have gone through so I'm wondering what others have done?
  • Wait out the fussiness until he is older and more understanding?
    Read the story with him over the shoulder?
    Read for a shorter amount of time?
    Stop the reading sessions for a while? (I really don't want to do this!)

Looking forward to some good tips! :)

Offline mum101

• Char
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
Re: Story Time Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 04:35:46 am »
Hi,
He might be teething or just wanting to explore things with his mouth.  Perhaps you can give him a plastic type book, or another toy to chew on while you are reading.
Otherwise keeping it short and sweet would be good. 

Bubs get pretty obsessed when they go through a stage. I clearly remember DD at 10 months spending every day for a week unloading every shoe out of the shoe cupboard.  ::)
Nothing really for me to do but wait it out!
mumma to 2 former BW babies, DD 11, DS 8

Offline NicolleD

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 07:40:05 am »
I give DD her dummy or something else to hold/put in her mouth. She's 5mo now & likes to try & turn the pages & open the book which is cute!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 10:21:10 am »
I'd buy a couple of books/toys you don't mind your LO chewing on and let her hold one of those while you read. 

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 11:07:02 am »
Agree with Shiv.  At 4 months, eating books is his way of reading and exploring.  The most loved books in our house no longer have corners  ;)

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 11:11:43 am »
The most loved books in our house no longer have corners

LOL ours too!  I bought a lot of hard board books at this age so they are harder to gnaw through!!

MummyToBen

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 12:18:09 pm »
Same here  :D.  Or they are the ones which have 'flaps' sellotaped back on because enthusiastic little hands!

am happy to let him touch gently but he starts getting fussy when there is resistance to get it to his mouth to the point that its becoming an unpleasant experience for him. I don't want to read to him and have him cry the whole way through and have it end up being something he resists in the future, but I also want to train him to respect our books and right now, he just doesn't get it!! (Fair enough at 4mo!)

There are lots of things that lo's do to explore their world - and it changes as they grow - at this age it is ALL about putting things in their mouth!!  Then it will soon move onto to wanting to grab and throw everything, putting things in water (that shouldn't be in there  ::), getting things out of cupboards, opening packages etc etc.....all things that we might not always want them to do but that they are doing because they are learning!  And we all want our kids to learn, right?!  So the trick is to find ways to let them do some of the things they need to do, but in a way that doesn't trash the house - by creating realistic and sensible rules.  That might be giving him some books that you don't mind him chewing, or just accepting that it is fine for him to chew the ones he has got.  You are a LONG way off him being a toddler who needs to know that it's not ok to rip/chew/tear books so I don't think you are giving him mixed messages if you let him chew on his books now :)

xx

Offline theaussiemommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 14:25:09 pm »
Thanks everyone!!

Nicolle, I did try giving him a ring to chew on but he wouldnt take it...  He wanted that book! Good to know that no one has had any major problems letting them explore or even chew on books. I think I might need to go buy some more hardcover books just to help him interact more during this phase so we don't destroy the paper ones!

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 14:29:22 pm »
We have a lot of chewed up books. And, sadly, even now, DD is very oral and tends to put a lot of things into her mouth. Books included. I just figure it means they are extra loved.