Author Topic: 1 yr old gets sick most nights lately??  (Read 1011 times)

Offline curlymop

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 11, 2010, 20:54:28 pm »
Hello ladies, my 1 yr old has got sick most nights before bed for the last couple of weeks.  He had been sick with a throat infection and on antibiotics but since finishing antibiotics (and during) he has had runny nappies and after his bottle in the evenings before bed will get sick.  We put him down and on a good night will settle quickly and go asleep but mostly will fuss a lot and eventually get sick.  Every morning regardless of getting sick or not will have explosion poohs and then a couple of times throughout the day. He doesnt sleep through the night and wakes for bottles in the night but thats another story... but is certainly wanting more bottles in the night the last few weeks.  When he wakes he does seem to be uncomfortable alright, like he has a pain in his tummy.  We'd often hear gurgling noises coming from his tummy we have thought previously it was hunger.  He has got a bad nappy rash (first nappy rash ever) which i put down to having bad nappies after being ill.  I am now getting worried and thinking perhaps he does have some sort of allergy.  He is still on formula, has cows milk in cereal and cooking since 6 months and has had a touch of reflux as a small baby and took baby gaviscon.  I will bring him to our GP on Monday about this but would love to hear your opinions or advise in the mean time.  Im at a loss here as a first time mum.   ???

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
Re: 1 yr old gets sick most nights lately??
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 12:25:50 pm »
Bumping for you :-*
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

scarlettsmom

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 12:44:43 pm »
Hi there,

Sorry your LO isn't feeling so great.   :-*

When you say every morning he has explosive poohs - how long has that been going on? 

THe fact is that lots of LOs have some strange stools when being introduced to cow's milk, it's a hard protein to digest, but if this has been going on for a while and it appears he is in pain at night with abdominal/digestion issues it is very possible he may have an intolerance/sensitivity or allergy. 

Is there any mucous in the stool?  Red/black specks?  (that can indicate blood).

Ask your ped if you can bring a stool sample (I would just wrap up the dirty diaper in a plastic bag and bring it in) to be tested for microscopic blood.  Or just bring it in - it's a very quick test they should be able to do in office.

How is he doing now?  Big big (((Hugs))). 

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 22:45:55 pm »
My DS1 would vomit with cows milk, so I'd try removing that straight away even before going to the GP.
Cows milk is one of those protiens that with an "intolerance" rather than Allergy can be built up slowly. I know for DS1 & myself we need to be careful about volumes of Dairy & lower fat milks (not recommended for under 2's) work best for both of us!
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline curlymop

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 12:09:55 pm »
Hi thanks for your replies, well since my last post he settled down slightly only to have a bad stomach flu on sunday.  Fathers Day was spent cleaning up vomit from various places.  The stools have returned to normal but Im still concerned about his tummy.  He still wakes with cramps at night so Ive decided to reduce his dairy intake for a few days and give a basic diet and maybe gradually introduce foods back in and see if i can pin point anything.  Ill pop back and give an update soon, thanks again!