Author Topic: MPI Mummies  (Read 9257 times)

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
MPI Mummies
« on: June 12, 2010, 10:32:14 am »
Quick question please  :).

And I do apologise that it is poop related  :-[.

But what does mucuous look like in BF poop? I keep thinking Megan has some in her nappy - but then I wonder if what I am seeing is normal for a BF babe.

She is also very windy and very difficult to settle. DS was a refluxer with suspected MPI (but never proven as he was old and refused hypoallergenic formula so we just medicated the reflux heavily), but Megan seems to have tummy ache and poop/ bottom wind issues and I am just wondering.

Thanks  :-* :-* :-*

Offline grace annes mommy

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 11:31:08 am »
My DD was (still is...) MSPI.  For us, as a newborn she was very gassy.  I never did see mucous in her BF poos. Their so loose anyway, but also I probably wasn't watching for it as a first time mommy without a clue. By 8 weeks I could see blood in her stool, so that clued us in that something was going on.

Could you have her stool tested for microscopic blood? Maybe if nothing else it will ease your anxiety a bit?  I know these allergies are sooo tricky to figure out.

Sorry, don't know that I really answered your question there. But many ((HUGS)) to you and little Megan.

Offline donna_issabella

• Showing Appreciation 941
Re: MPI Mummies
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 11:51:23 am »
The mucous DD has in her nappy looks like large boogers, larger than pea size. It sticks together and does not take on the form of the nappy, like her regular poops do. More ball like, KWIM?

If you suspect it, why not just eliminate all obvious sources of milk, Liz? Might not be MPI, but many babies struggle with dairy overload in mom's diet in the first 3 months, and might just be that you need to curb the intake.

As you know I cut out milk from the start, had a few slip ups and paid dearly for it. But really, not having her cry for 2 hours at a time - except the bedtime cry is still there ::) - each time in her A time makes up for not being able to have dairy and MANY other food groups.

BTW, DD started off with exceptionally watery poops, would squirt about a foot far if she did not have a nappy on.

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 11:53:11 am »
Liz see the other thread: -

Just to add, I think there is quite a range, tjhis is what I have experienced: - if you are suspect on MPI, the mucuous should show up more often than not in the poo.  It may not be green.  Green with mucuous though is more obviously a food intolerance poo, or should I say a damaged gut due to something ingested.   It looks like "snot" al little bit and not all the poo needs to be like that.  The poo should look more than slimy.

If I get any more mucuousy ones I will take a photo.

Offline EloysH

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 11:56:20 am »
Fir a quick trial, you could start with milk, take it away for a few days and then drink alot, even without doing a proper dairy elimination I think you should see worsening of symptoms after drinking milk. It such an obvious culprit.

Offline L76

• Thanks
  • Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 13:05:59 pm »
Out of interest, how much dairy in your diet would affect them?
I hadn't thought about this (and am suffering with many of the same issues as Liz) but really don't eat that much dairy (well I don't think I do anyway).

Typical days dairy would be 2 dessert spoons of yogurt at breakfast and a dairylea cheese at lunchtime. I don't drink milk (or tea / coffee).

x

scarlettsmom

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 14:34:19 pm »
Liz - DD2s was also stringy at times.  Is she also having kind of loose stools?  What about greenish as pp mentioned?  A couple of weeks old is when you typically start to see M(S)PI issues.  (((HUGS)))  :-*

Leanne - Regarding how much dairy impacts the LOs.  It really depends on the child.  Some kids can tolerate hidden/trace dairy.  My girl couldn't have ANYTHING (through my BF).  I had to be so on top of it - any teeny tiny amount would impact her.  If I had a teaspoon of yogurt it would be waaay too much.  If your limiting dairy you should start with at least obvious dairy (cheese, milk, yogurt) and see how it goes, then move to hidden diary if needed.  ((hugs))

Offline MLK

• Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 14:36:53 pm »
For my son, the mucous looked a lot like uncooked egg white - except it wasn't white! More yellowish.

Offline EloysH

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 21:36:15 pm »
yes! uncooked egg white, that's a perfect description!

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 19:00:35 pm »
So if it IS mucous (and I think it is - TBH the only reason I am unsure is because it is very similar to what Jacob was like - but he was suspected MPI anyway so goodness knows why that is putting me off  ???) should I just start by elimintaing proper dairy and not worry about the hidden stuff yet?

That would mean I could eat bread, cakes etc etc? But not pure milk, cheese, yoghurt?

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 19:30:28 pm »
Liz, this is the point I was at a few weeks ago - trying to decide what to do about dairy.  I started by getting rid of the big stuff, and did see a huge improvement but am not convinced things are totally better, kwim?  So I have decided to go all dairy free for now and see.  Most experienced moms recommended going totally dairy free at first.  For me I think I was in denial that I would have to go that route.  Maybe I don't, but for now I am so I can hopefully get to the root of the problem.  I found that with only eliminating obvious dairy, I will still always wondering about every little thing, so it makes more sense to go totally dairy free at first and then reintroduce to see what causes problems.

We are getting poos as you have described and I still don't know if it's normal or not.   :-\  *sigh*
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 19:48:00 pm »
It really does make sense like that Martina - but I know from J how hard it is in practise.

I need to adjust my mentality though. With J I failed and went to bottles (and after 7 mths of fighting a food refusing refluxer I was getting very worn down and tired of the BFing in many ways - it allowed me to disconnect myself from J and his issues a little) but I am definately not prepared to stop BFing a 2 week old. Nope nope nope. I mean - if Megan is my last child then I want to feed her for as long as I can  :(.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 21:38:46 pm »
I need to adjust my mentality though. With J I failed and went to bottles (and after 7 mths of fighting a food refusing refluxer I was getting very worn down and tired of the BFing in many ways - it allowed me to disconnect myself from J and his issues a little) but I am definately not prepared to stop BFing a 2 week old. Nope nope nope. I mean - if Megan is my last child then I want to feed her for as long as I can  .
I have found it to be a bit of a mental thing too, you need time to adjust to it.  I hear ya on not willing to give up the BFding though, I am still prepared to do whatever it takes to keep BFding as long as I possibly can.  Even if it means getting professional help (like from a nutritionist or something) to help me figure out what I can have, I will do it!!  So (((hugs))), I sympathize completely!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline EloysH

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 04:28:20 am »
LIz i guess that's why its great that you are doing the diet and meds trial early, it will better your chances to breasfeed for longer - the way my paed put it to me was the longer you leave them with reflux untreated the quicker you will get feeding problems, due to the increasing and damage and wear on their throat.

I would go all out hidden dairy and soy free for two weeks.  No doubt you will make mistakes, but after a a few weeks you will get the hang if it.  No matter how much label reading you do, it is inevitable to have a few slip ups.

Offline Austin's mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • My animated dancing monkey!
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 12:57:52 pm »
Congrats on your new baby Liz! So sorry she is already having problems )-: She does sound exactly like austin did on BM the first 3 months. If you look at this link, they have some very (graphic) but helpful photos of what BF MPI poo looks like. It was super helpful to me.

http://www.infantreflux.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8121

Hope she starts doing better soon!