Author Topic: MPI Mummies  (Read 9215 times)

Offline EloysH

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Re: MPI Mummies
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2010, 11:56:03 am »
Shannon, good luck with the diet!   Heres a link to a website that explains the different food intolerant groups.  I think there may be some lists too.    Berries are high in salicylates too. 

http://www.sswahs.nsw.gov.au/rpa/allergy/

http://www.zipworld.com.au/~ataraxy/Salicylates_list.html

http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/failsafe.htm

How are you doing on the diet Liz?

Offline sherry lynn

• Showing Appreciation 127
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2010, 13:55:22 pm »
Shannon - Did you look at the list of words that mean hidden milk? It seems to me that marshmallows would have hidden dairy ??? If DH can't have milk then that is probably going to help your LO. The term colic is just thrown around to mean a fussy baby. Usually a colicy baby is MSI/MSPI and/or has reflux.
DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

scarlettsmom

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2010, 14:11:20 pm »
The term colic is just thrown around to mean a fussy baby. Usually a colicy baby is MSI/MSPI and/or has reflux.

So so true.  I read somewhere that it could be as high as 95% of "colicky" babies that are actually MPI or have reflux (or both). 

Offline donna_issabella

• Showing Appreciation 941
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2010, 22:08:14 pm »
A paediatrician once said, colic is a 5 letter word for 'I don't know'. That is so true!

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • DS1 - born May 1/08 DS2 - born May 14/10
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2010, 00:24:17 am »
Re: colic term - no doubt! People have always thought it meant tummy troubles, but not that you could do anything about it. I've been wondering if 'traditional' societies don't have colicky babies because their diets are probably strictly meat and produce for the most part!? Hmm, I wonder how it is in Asia (lots of soy there obviously). I am starting to think DS1 probably had issues too but I didn't have a clue!!

It's amazing what all they sneak hidden dairy into!! What about the term "may contain" milk or egg? Or "produced in a facility that also produces wheat, soy, etc"? Is this just to avoid lawsuits? It seems like the amount would have to be nil in breastmilk, no? I don't want to wreck the trial of total elimination though... in only two days I am cautiously optimistic. S was awake and not being held and not screaming for I think almost the first time (for more than 2-5min) today. Diapers are still mucousy but I think they might be improving. He also slept his longest stretch last night (trying not to get my hopes up).

I commend all you ladies that have been doing this (and much more in some cases) for months already.

re: marshmallows, here is what they say:

corn syrup, sugar, modified corn starch, dextrose, water, gelatin, natural and artificial flavors (they are the mini 'fruit' ones), tetrasodium, pyrophosphate, colour ( contains tartazine).

So not a health food by any means, but I can't see anything milk in them??

This is the list I was working from regarding hidden dairy:

Milk Allergy Sufferers: Avoid These Ingredients

* ammonium caseinate
    * calcium caseinate
    * magnesium caseinate
    * potassium caseinate
    * sodium caseinate
    * casein/caseinate
    * rennet cassein
    * curds
    * lactate
    * lactose
    * delactosed/demineralized whey
    * lactoferrin
    * lactoglobulin
    * milk derivative/protein/fat
    * modified milk ingredients
    * hydrolyzed casein
    * hydrolyzed milk protein
    * lactalbumin
    * lactalbumin phosphate
    * whey
    * whey protein concentrate

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2010, 09:54:26 am »
How are you doing on the diet Liz?

Hmmm.... well I'm managing to avoid all obvious dairy and as much hidden as I can think about. But I think some will still be creeping in a bit.

But I am managing to find stuff to eat - I can drink black coffee if it is fresh rather than instant - and oat milk on cereal is just fine.

I really need a few more sweet treat things though.

And I need to go in search of some bread that is definately milk free.

But not too bad really.......

DD is still a gassy, grunting, OT fussy thing though. Seemed a little better on thurs/fri, but the weekend was worse again (but I was at my parents so probably ate more hidden dairy).

What do you ladies do anbout calcium intake though? I am a little concerned about this while I am BFing.

Offline EloysH

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2010, 12:28:29 pm »
Sounds like you're doing ok Liz!  I make sago and coconut cream with brown sugar for dessert, or apple crumble, or deep fried apples and bannanas in batter with cinnamon. Kirry swears by her forzen jelly and coconut cream icecream!

1.2g grams a day of calcium are required (quoted from my paed).  I am currently only getting about 500mg daily from my diet, so I take a supplement. I cup of milk with calcium fortified init is about 300mg.  Make sure you get one that is "balanced"  with all the right nutrients including vitamin D so that the calcium can be absorbed properly.

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2010, 06:28:44 am »
liz, gelati or sorbet is good too just check ing tho as some do have dairy. biscuits are hard but you could bake your own (in all that spare time you have with two LOs ::) ). jelly (i make a lot of fruit and jelly). lots of lollies/candies are still dairy free. you can eat 'real' chocolate too, lindt 70% choc, the dark one, has no dairy, does have soy lecithin tho.

also just wanted to say check your preg/bf vitamin if you havent already. elevit has lactose in it and i've just rang blackmores  today and the preg/bfing gold that i take has trace amounts of soy in it (i'm still trying to work out what it is i'm eating that is setting kingston off). most vitamins with vitamin E will contain soy.

Offline EloysH

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2010, 07:46:37 am »
Kirry, have you thought about doing those scratch tests for allergy that someone mentioned?  I don;t know much about them apparently an allergist does them?  Also corn IS really high in salicylates, I imagine you are eating alot of corn.  I still don't know if sals can cause mucus in poos though. 

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2010, 10:00:39 am »
elo, gp said he is happy to give referral to allergist and dietician but suggested cutting the salicylates first, then if no improvement amines. i was surprised he even suggested it so am really liking my gp atm, he seems to know his stuff at least in that area. just when i was going to test gluten ::)

Offline EloysH

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2010, 10:11:36 am »
cool Kirry.  Its going to be hard, they are in alot of stuff, not just the veges and fruit even bonjella and spearmint flavourings, I think even toothpaste maybe a problem. Worth checking with Jean as she is a bit of an expert these days.

Offline Rachel_Momto3boys

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2010, 04:23:08 am »
I guess I'm a little late on this thread!  I hope things are going okay with your diet?  I just wanted to add this blog post about finding “hidden” milk in foods: http://short.ie/ywdbnz,  I can't remember if you said you cut out soy too? 
Rachel
Mom to 3 boys
Augustboy02 - Sensational Sensory Kid
Decemberboy04 - former reflux baby
Augustboy10 - MSPI Baby - EBF w/elimination diet

scarlettsmom

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2010, 22:36:29 pm »
Hey Liz - just wanted to let you know that I ended up ordering a calcium supplement from kirkman labs (kirkmanlabs.com).  You have to be very very careful to get enough calcium - even if you don't have it in your diet, it's still in your body and LO will take it through your BM first, which can deplete you quickly. 

Also, DH used to get me the most amazing chocolate from Whole Foods.  They have some organic brands that were great, but also these blocks that just had a few ingredients.   

Hang in there!!  :-*

scarlettsmom

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2010, 22:37:54 pm »
ps - just saw you are in England, don't know if you have Whole Foods market there....

Offline sherry lynn

• Showing Appreciation 127
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2010, 17:29:59 pm »
Rachel - I tried that link, it didn't work for me ???

I need to be better about the vitamin. I need to call the pharmacist and see if there is milk in it.
DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010