Author Topic: So we've had ds appointment with the dietician  (Read 2366 times)

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: So we've had ds appointment with the dietician
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 23:00:04 pm »
Yah, rice milk really doesn't have any fat, but we get so much good fats in other things it's never been a concern. Olive oil and flaxseed oil mix well in things like guacamole and as dressings and dips - make your own Italian dressing with olive oil! :) - and we've used coconut oil for a number of years. Once you get started with nut butters there'll be more good fat in there; no rush to do that, but when you do get there is all. If you can get clarified butter (ghee), it has the milk solids removed, which makes it good for baking. But the coconut oil, awesome for pan-frying, good for popcorn-popping, you can eat it off a spoon, and it's good for your skin topically as well. And of course fish oil, the girls get some daily. So for us, the rice milk is primarily for calcium and a vehicle for some other stuff like frozen treats and breakfast cereal and some powdered supplements for smoothies. :)

We don't do much soy here simply because I've found that soy milk and my kids' tummies are not the best of friends, nobody in our family can stand tofu unless I hide it really well in actual meat, and I have some personal reservations about unfermented soy, but that's my own perspective, but that's why we do rice milk instead of soy. :)